Academy of Architecture for Health

View Only

Community HTML

AAH Banner Story

Quick Links

Who we are

The Academy of Architecture for Health (AAH) provides knowledge which supports the design of healthy environments by creating education and networking opportunities for members of – and those touched by – the health care architectural profession.

View the AAH organization chart and strategy documents >

COVID-19 resources for health care design

You can contribute information to the AIA COVID-19 project database, and view all submitted projects. Visit the Alternative Care Sites preparedness site to learn important areas to evaluate when selecting ACSs for the care and treatment of COVID-19 or surge capacity patients.

Explore additional resources for health care facilities >

REMINDER: Join us on 11/14/2023 for a live webinar on: A Call for Advocacy: Exploring the Role of the Healthcare Industry to Create a Diverse and Inclusive Environment for Communities

• 1.  REMINDER: Join us on 11/14/2023 for a live webinar on: A Call for Advocacy: Exploring the Role of the Healthcare Industry to Create a Diverse and Inclusive Environment for Communities

Posted 11-02-2023 02:39 PM
    Edited by Thomas J. Bahr AIA 11-08-2023 03:14 PM

Earn 1 AIA LU | Tuesday, November 14, 2023 | 2-3 pm ET

A Call for Advocacy: Exploring the Role of the Healthcare Industry to Create a Diverse and Inclusive Environment for Communities

Description:

What does it mean to experience the industry as an "othered" practitioner and how can we shift the lens though which we all practice? This discussion will explore the history of how architecture has traditionally been practiced in the U.S., how our history informs the level and frequency of care that patients receive, and what a more equitable future looks like. The concept of advocate architecture will be explored.

Hosted by the AIA Academy of Architecture for Health an AIA Knowledge Community.

Learning Objectives:

• Explore the US healthcare delivery history and how life expectancy gaps are impacted. 
    • Evaluate the effectiveness and opportunities of traditional healthcare architecture. 
    • Define a vision for the future of healthcare design based on equity as a fundamental human right. 
    • Invite participants to become advocates for the communities they serve. 

Speakers

Nsenga Bansfield-Maathey

Senior Associate I HOK

Yiselle Santos Rivera, AIA, NOMA, LSSYB, LEED AP BD+C, WELL AP

Principal, Global Director of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion I HOK

Roderic Walton, AIA, NCARB, NOMA

Principal I Moody Nolan Architects

Nupur Gupta, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP, LSSYB

Senior Medical Planner I HKS

------------------------------
    Thomas Bahr
    AIA, NCARB, EDAC, WELL AP, LEED AP BD+C, LSSYB
    Project Architect
    Jacobs
    Saint Louis, MO
    ------------------------------