Custom Residential Architects Network

View Only

Community HTML

Michigan Loft

Quick Links

Who we are

The Custom Residential Architects Network (CRAN®) Knowledge Community develops knowledge and information to benefit architects who are engaged in, or who are interested in learning more about, custom residential practice. CRAN® presents information and facilitates the exchange of knowledge and expertise to promote the professional development of its members via discussion forums, national symposia and conventions, publications, and local activities.

2024 CRAN® Symposium

September 18-22

The Westin Seattle
1900 5th Avenue 
Seattle, Washington 98101

Registration will open in July 2024.

Sponsorship Opportunities

Download the prospectus for the CRAN forum at AIA24 and the CRAN Symposium sponsorships. 

2023 Symposium

The CRAN® 2023 Symposium was held October 11 - 15. View the schedule for more info>.

Letter from the 2024 CRAN Chair

• 1.  Letter from the 2024 CRAN Chair

Posted 01-15-2024 05:44 PM
    Edited by Kevin Harris 01-15-2024 05:46 PM

AIA Custom Residential Architects Network (CRAN®)

A Letter from the 2024 Chair

Dear Crannies,

It is with great pleasure that I begin 2024 as the Chair of CRAN® National; it is a real honor.

As an AIA National Cornerstone Partner, AGS Stainless (AGS) is committed to supporting the members of the AIA as they grow their practices. As the Director of Sales and Marketing for AGS, over the past 11 years, it has been my privilege to work with many AIA Components by sponsoring their trade shows, advertising in their regional magazines, participating in local events, and providing continuing education to their members. These continue to be truly rewarding partnerships for us.

When I first learned of CRAN®, I knew I needed to get involved in this amazing Knowledge Community. Why? Because, to a large extent, AGS Stainless owes much of its success to residential architects. When it comes to metal stair and deck railings on single-family homes, and the product decision falls to the builder, most will choose aluminum. Aluminum is fairly inexpensive, and it's pretty easy to work with.

At AGS, our product is a custom-prefabricated, stainless steel railing. Although brushed stainless is much more attractive than aluminum, including it in a home requires the builder to hire a metal fabricator. Eight times out of ten, an architect was involved in the product decision when our stainless railing appears on a custom home. Residential architects appreciate that railing can/should do more than just keep people safe as they walk up and down the stairs. When fabricated from brushed stainless steel, ornamental railing can add as much visual impact to a living space as a painting hanging on the wall or a sculpture positioned in the corner of a room. 

Again, I saw joining my local CRAN® chapter as a great way for me to give back to the residential architects to whom AGS was so indebted. I'm proud of that decision!

Looking Forward

In 2024, there are a few areas in which I would like to see CRAN® National continue to make progress.

-Engage with young architects to encourage them to consider residential architecture as a career and help them get on the path to Licensure.

-Help them graduate and then get hired by a residential architectural firm.

-Continuing to share the successes of our individual chapters with all the other chapters. There is no need to reinvent the wheel at every chapter by developing from scratch home tour events, residential design award programs, etc. Let's continue to lighten the load on our volunteers by continuing to share best practices.

-Continue to advocate for the inclusion of building science in residential design.

-The CRAN Symposium should be further developed to continue to be recognized as the most important educational and networking event for residential architects in the US.

Speaking on behalf of both the CRAN® ExCom and the Advisory Group, if you are a residential architect, a custom builder, or an architectural product supplier who is not yet a member of CRAN®, I encourage you to get involved by joining your local CRAN® chapter. Together, we can continue to make a difference!

Questions? Suggestions? Call or write to me at the contact points below.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Kevin Harris, Assoc. AIA 

Director, Sales & Marketing, AGS Stainless, Inc.

Chair, Executive Committee, AIA National Custom Residential (CRAN) Architects Network

Chair, Board of Trustees, NAHB's Leading Supplier's Council (LSC)

Member, Board of Trustees, NAHB Remodelers Council (NAHBR)

Member, Board of Trustees, NAHB Custom Builders Committee

LSC Liaison, NAHB Single Family Builders

2021 Nominee, At-Large Director, AIA National 

AGS Stainless is an AIA National Cornerstone Partner

Host of the Weekly Radio Show:  https://open.spotify.com/show/7iITgrjBcwJmhr2YDU1tAx. Click or tap if you trust this link." rel="noopener">"Designing and Building Your Dream Home"

Work (206) 842-9492 

kevin@AGSstainless.com

www.AGSstainless.com 

Kevin Harris, Associate AIA, Chair, 2024 AIA CRAN National

------------------------------
    Kevin Harris
    AGS Stainless, Inc.
    Bainbridge Island WA
    ------------------------------

Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.