Practice Management Member Conversations

Expand all | Collapse all

i-Pad use in architectural practice

• 1.  i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-20-2011 07:43 AM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Practice Management Member Conversations and Small Project Practitioners .
    -------------------------------------------
    Debating whether an i-pad would be of use in my architectural practice.  I know that AutoDesk has some program that will work, but don't know much about it.  Would appreciate whether anyone is using the i-pad and what are they using it for in their practice.

David Wulff AIA
    AIA, LEED-AP
    David H. Wulff, Architect, Inc.
    Lakeland FL

• 2.  RE:i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-21-2011 05:31 AM

Suggest you try to get your hands on a copy of the September 2011 issue of "Professional Builder" magazine (SGC Horizon Publications) that has dedicated the entire issue to the topic as it relates to builders. The issue is entitled "The iPad Effect - The Transformative Power of Tablets on Home Building" with chapters on °Top Tablet Brands and Apps, °Managing Design and Construction with Tablets, °9 Ways Builders are Using Tablets to Sell Homes, °Which Tablet is Right for You?, °77 Tablet Apps Made for Builders. 
    Karl Hartnack AIA
    Component Past President
    Hartnack Architecture
    Duesseldorf, Germany

• 3.  RE:i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-22-2011 09:07 AM
    Read it online @
    http://editiondigital.net/publication/?i=81035

Kurt Thompson AIA/MBA
    St Louis MO

• 4.  RE:i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-22-2011 11:03 AM
    My partner and I just read that article, it has good info which is applicable to architects. We are Windows based, but there are Autocad and other apps coming out which we plan to use. This will be a company item, and we've been researching for a few months. Good article.

Kristine Young AIA
    Tarpon Springs FL

• 5.  RE:i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-21-2011 09:01 AM
    We have provided iPads for the directors in our firm to use, and are using them for a range of activities. Primarily, they are used for note taking and email, however, there are a number of tools that are effective for architects. We load a set of drawings in pdf format on the ipad, which is great for working in the field. There is a punchlist application which is probably best for relatively small jobs.

The iPad is also good for making presentations on a projector. It is faster to set up than a laptop, as it doesn't require any time to boot up. We have been surprised at how much we use them. We used to cart laptops around to meetings, but now take our iPads everywhere. 

Michael Broshar FAIA
    Principal
    INVISION Planning Architecture Interiors
    Waterloo IA

• 6.  RE:i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-21-2011 09:07 AM
    I just finally bought one David.  I now have a state-of-the-art portfolio that is complete with ALL of my projects. I was able to customize a presentation for a prospective client that I could not have done otherwise.  Also, these is something inexplicable about viewing photos under that glossy screen - even mediocre ones look great.

There are a few apps for architects, but I shy away from those that are gimmicky and do not intend to draft in any way on such a small device.  The camera is quite good, and there are many apps that allow you to annotate over a picture - which I think could be great for punch lists, routine site visits, and so forth. I can also see taking videos when on site to train my junior staff. With Face Time or Skype I could even see sending a junior staffer to a job site or meeting and still be part of the action - in real time.  

Andrew Fethes AIA
    President
    Andrew Fethes Architects PA
    Oradell NJ

• 7.  RE:i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-21-2011 09:10 AM
    To: David:

AutoCAD has recently release two apps for both the I-phone and I-Pad.  They are called Mobile Sketch Book and AutoCAD WS.  I use the Mobile sketch on my I-phone and find it a great deal of fun and am just beginning to explore it's possibilities.  AutoCAD WS allows one to see drawings on their devices.  I just loaded up this app and have not really used it at length.  If you go to the App store and in the search command type in AutoCAD you will find a wealth of knowledge.  I hope this information is of use and good luck.

Kent McClure AIA
    Yielding, Wakeford & McGee Architects
    Albany GA

• 8.  RE:i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-21-2011 09:18 AM
    I use my iPad each and everyday in practice.  Purchased the original iPad1 and now have version 2.  I travel a lot in my practice and find I am using the iPad regularly and not taking my MacBook.  I participate in meetings via Go To Meeting, WebEx and simple conversations using Skype.  I have made presentations created in both Powerpoint and Keynote and presented directly from the iPad.  I will often receive concept ideas (via email) from staff and consultants working on a project that then allows me to sketch over or simply annotate and send back.  Using iTunes, I transfer files back and forth from my local drive and our network drives as well.  If I need a file while on the road, I can simply call the office and have them send it attached to an email.  We use both ArchiCAD and Revit and to my knowledge there are not any viewer for either programs.  ArchiCAD had a beta test of a veiwer a few months ago and likely will issue soon.  I could go on but I think you get the message.  Don't hesitate, go buy the iPad2.  Even if you don't purchase a data plan, buy the iPad with 3G capabilities and WiFi. 
    Dan Mitchell FAIA
    President
    Mackey Mitchell Architects
    Saint Louis MO

• 9.  RE:i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-21-2011 09:47 AM
    I am about four months into a "trial" use of the iPad2 and have found it incredible beneficial as an enclosure consultant working on multiple projects and often out of the office. We now have three and I believe we will be expand further in the near future. These benefit extend beyond the Apple products and the apps listed below to other tablets and apps, but the iPad2 and the apps listed below my experience as a "non-traditional" architect... with that in mind here are my thoughts:
    1. It is light, prior to the 1.5 lbs iPad I was carrying a 6 pound laptop and only lost minor functionality (with use of the apps below).
    2. It allows easy (when well organized) access on-site to locally stored ConDocs and submittals while debating the merits of an installation.
    3. FileBrowser app VPN allows access to office server for docs not currently stored on iPad or in Dropbox.
    4. Dropbox (I use the service not the app) is an effective way to sync files to multiple devices computer, cloud, iPad2, phone...
    5. GoodReader is a phenomenal PDF (and other) file reader with with text and sketch mark up abilities and it links directly to multiple cloud sources, such as Dropbox.
    6. LogMeIn Ignition is the best remote desktop client I have found that works well on 3G service.
    7. Sketchbook Pro is my sketch pad of choice for field sketches of on the spot repair concepts.
    8. GoToMeeting my company is heavy in goto meeting for internal training and this allows me to connect and participate anywhere as long as my 3G signal is strong or I am on WiFi... 
    9. Skype- we haven't used this one yet, but the idea is that we could get a remote "on-site" consult to a particular condition observed in the field... we'll see...
    10. Air Display is just cool. It allows the iPad2 to serve as a second screen to my laptop via WiFi...

I havent been impressed with AutoCAD WS- I prefer PDFs in the field- but i am also not a heavy CAD user- maybe others would find it productive...

With all of this and more I have found the iPad2 incredibly helpful for me. I am very curious of the other apps out there being successfully utilized.

I hope this is helpful.

Keith

Keith P. Nelson, AIA
    Senior Associate Architect
    Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
    Fairfax, VA

• 10.  RE:i-Pad use in architectural practice

Posted 09-21-2011 01:45 PM
    I've been using the iPad for a few months now.  Mostly I was tired of having to lug around a laptop when traveling to access e-mail or use the small screen on my iPhone.  But last week I was able to show a potential client several websites including projects on our own website while sitting at lunch in a crowded restaurant.  It worked like a charm.  Small, compact and reliable, the screen is very high resolution.  My only complaint is that it doesn't have a USB port for easily downloading files.  I haven't yet tried to use it for reviewing drawings.

Gregor Smee AIA, LEED AP
    Architect
    Smee + Busby Architects, P.C.
    Knoxville TN