2017 Call for Nominations for PMKC Leadership Group
Information and Expectations
The AIA Knowledge Communities are volunteer member-led special interest groups of the AIA national organization. They help members to connect with others who share the same passions and commitment—and develop a project that advances the profession and the collective work of the AIA. Traditionally each group is led by five leaders and supported by project-based committees along with partial AIA staff support.
As an AIA Knowledge Community, the Practice Management Knowledge Community (PMKC) discovers, generates, organizes and shares insights, resources, and tools that enable architects to practice more effectively. We encourage all members to participate by serving on a project subcommittee or by applying to serve on the national Leadership Group (LG).
The PMKC LG is comprised of a five members who serve for up to five years. We are currently seeking statements of qualifications from individuals who have demonstrated leadership in practice management. We currently have one (1) open position that would begin in January 2017 and end before December 2021.
The Practice Management KC Leadership Group works to fulfill our mission and deliver meaningful content to the 15,000 members of the Practice Management KC in several areas:
- PM Digest: a quarterly compilation of views on a wide range of practice issues;
- Educational content: the PMKC seeks to develop content that will support the mission; the content may be displayed at AIAU;
- Best Practices: a subcommittee of the PMKC LG reviews/jurors, develops, expands and maintains the collected Best Practices that are available to AIA members on the AIA website;
- AIA convention: the PMKC LG coordinates the practice management luncheon at convention, develops and presents a session focused on practice management and meets to develop our strategic plan for the coming year;
- Fall conference: annual conference focused on practice issues;
- ProNet scholarship: in collaboration with a/e ProNet, the PMKC LG develops the scholarship essay topic and jurors this annual student competition
Duties and Expectations
- Participate in 1 hour monthly conference call
- Champion one of the primary initiatives and programs (and any associated project conference calls)
- Attend, if possible, AIA National Convention in the spring (April in 2017). Usually not reimbursed.
- Attend annual two-day AIA Knowledge Leadership Assembly in July. (The KLA provides an opportunity for Knowledge Community Leaders, Board Knowledge Committee, and AIA Staff to network, share knowledge and best practices, and build coalitions.) Partially reimbursed.
- Attend, if possible, annual Fall Conference (TBD 2017). May be partially reimbursed.
- Letter of Interest including a vision of what would you like to accomplish during your appointment
- Resume with:
- Professional accomplishments including volunteer activities.
- Skills - leadership, organizational, speaking as well as your position and duties in your firm; what are the particular skills that you would bring to the committee that complement the existing leadership.
- Letter of Commitment from a leader in your firm that demonstrates your firm’s commitment to supporting your involvement.
The American Institute of Architects actively promotes a diverse profession, including race, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or sexual orientation. The PMKC strives to be an inclusive Knowledge Community representing diversity of thought, geographic diversity, both traditional and non-traditional practice and as well as providing opportunities for seasoned professionals, associate members and young architects.
Please submit the above information via the online form by 5pm ET on
October 3, 2016 October 14, 2016.
Questions? Contact Kathleen Simpson at email@example.com.