2023 Call for Applications to join the REKC Leadership Group
Information and Expectations
The AIA Knowledge Communities are volunteer member-led special interest groups of the AIA national organization. They help members to connect with others who share the same passions and commitment—and develop projects that advance the profession and the collective work of the AIA.
As an AIA Knowledge Community, Retail and Entertainment (REKC) fosters the creation, discussion, and dissemination of knowledge among practitioners, clients, retailers, and the general public to advance the practice and improve the quality of retail and entertainment environments.
The REKC Leadership is comprised of a minimum of five members who serve for five years, after which leaders may move into an advisory capacity. We are currently seeking statements of qualifications from individuals who are interested in serving on the Leadership Group (LG). We currently have several open positions that would begin in January 2023 and end December 2027.
Characteristics of successful candidates
Members should have demonstrated a commitment to advancing the profession’s knowledge of REKC. All candidates should be able to serve the KC as Chair, demonstrating the experience and leadership skills needed to establish and execute strategic initiatives on behalf of the KC and its membership.
- 1 hr/month: Participate in monthly conference call
- 2-10 hours/month (varies): Champion one of the primary initiatives and programs.
- Priority: Attend annual three-day AIA Knowledge Leadership Assembly, usually in August. Partially reimbursed.
- What is this? KLA provides an opportunity for knowledge community leaders, the Board Knowledge Committee, and AIA staff to network, share knowledge and best practices, and build coalitions. This is the most critical meeting to attend.
- Preferred: Attend, if possible, AIA Conference on Architecture in the summer. Usually not reimbursed.
- Letter of Interest including a vision of what would you like to accomplish during your appointment
- Resume with:
- Professional accomplishments including contribution to, and attendance at KC events, subcommittee work, etc.
- Skills include curriculum vitae outlining design experience, awards, publications, speaking events, knowledge sharing; what are the particular skills that you would bring to the committee that complement the existing leadership?
- Letter of Commitment from a leader in your firm that demonstrates your firm’s commitment to supporting your involvement.
The American Institute of Architects actively promotes a diverse profession, including race, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, and sexual orientation. The REKC strives to be an inclusive Knowledge Community representing diversity of thought, geographic diversity, and traditional and non-traditional practice, as well as providing opportunities for seasoned professionals, associate members and young architects.
Please submit the above information via the online form by 5pm ET on Monday, October 17. Questions? Contact Isabella Rosse at email@example.com.