2022 Call for Applications to join the Committee on the Environment Leadership Group
Information and Expectations
The AIA Knowledge Communities are volunteer member-led special interest groups of the AIA national organization. They help members to connect with others who share the same passions and commitment—and develop projects that advance the profession and the collective work of the AIA.
As an AIA Knowledge Community, the Committee on the Environment (COTE®) is an American Institute of Architects Knowledge Community working for architects, allied professionals, and the public to achieve climate action and climate justice through design. We believe that design excellence is the foundation of a healthy, sustainable, and equitable future. Our work promotes design strategies that empower all AIA members to realize the best social and environmental outcomes with the clients and the communities they serve.
Members of the Leadership Group work on behalf of AIA COTE implementing projects and programs that uphold its goals:
COTE will expand its partnerships, actively listen, and act collectively.
COTE will help architects transform their practices for climate action and climate justice.
COTE will elevate stories about people, buildings, and positive change.
COTE will promote policies that advance the AIA’s mission and ours.
COTE will connect and empower the COTE community and allies.
Open Positions in the COTE Leadership Group:
We encourage all AIA members to participate by serving on a project subcommittee or by applying to serve on the national Leadership Group.
The COTE LG is typically comprised of eleven to twelve members who serve for three years in staggered terms. We are currently seeking statements of qualifications, interest, and availability from individuals seeking to serve on a leadership group at the national level. We encourage applications from members who are new to volunteer leadership positions, and are prioritizing candidates with experience in and passion for:
- Community and stakeholder engagement
- Climate action with a focus on social and ecological impacts and carbon literacy
- Climate justice with a focus on code and policymaking
- Materials and supply chain ethics
- Design excellence and sustainability
We currently have five (5) open positions on the Leadership Group. Of these, two (2) positions are 1-year appointments for the 2022 calendar year with another three (3) positions serving 3-year terms from January 2022 – December 2024. All applications will be considered. Past participation in the COTE Network, or COTE programs is not a requirement for a position in the Leadership Group but is welcome.
>> Apply now
Who we are looking for
The composition of the COTE LG in any given time frame should represent or enhance the diversity of the overall AIA membership. All candidates should potentially be able to serve the KC as Chair, demonstrating the experience and leadership skills to establish and execute strategic initiatives on behalf of the KC and its membership.
Leadership Group member expectations:
- Participate in one-hour, TWICE monthly calls that provide general updates across the Leadership Group, and deep dives into relevant subjects and ongoing workstreams.
- Lead or participate in at least two working groups in any given season, volunteering 3 – 5 hours per month. These include groups that focus on initiatives such as:
- flagship programs (the COTE Top Ten Awards and the COTE Top Ten for Students Competition),
- on-going work (such as advocacy, communications, and events),
- issue-based work driven by key priorities (such as enriching all COTE activities with the focus on climate action and climate justice and carbon literacy); as well as
- efforts to interact with other AIA groups and outside-of-AIA groups around key mission-aligned topics.
We typically meet twice face-to-face: in February for our annual planning session, and in November to select the next Chair and review progress over the year. These may be virtual meetings in 2022. Expenses for travel are reimbursed.
- Opportunity to Attend annual three-day AIA Knowledge Leadership Assembly, usually in August. Partially reimbursed. May be virtual in 2022. (KLA provides an opportunity for knowledge community leaders, the Board Knowledge Committee, and AIA staff to network, share knowledge and best practices, and build coalitions.)
- Letter of Interest including a vision of what would you like to accomplish during your appointment and any relevant experience with the topics prioritized above. Please state your current availability and note any ongoing terms of volunteer service that may overlap with this position.
- Resume describing:
- Professional accomplishments including contribution to, and attendance at KC events, subcommittee work, etc.
- design experience, awards, publications, speaking events, knowledge sharing; what are the skills that you would bring to the committee that complement the existing leadership.
- Letter of Commitment from a leader in your firm that demonstrates your firm’s commitment to supporting your involvement and time.
The American Institute of Architects actively promotes a diverse profession, including race, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or sexual orientation. Interfaith Design strives to be an inclusive Knowledge Community representing diversity of thought, geographic diversity, both traditional and non-traditional practice and as well as providing opportunities for seasoned professionals, associate members and young architects.
Apply now >>
Questions about the application process? Please contact Melissa Wackerle at MelissaWackerle@aia.org
Questions about what it’s like to serve on the COTE LG? Please contact Kira Gould at firstname.lastname@example.org