Regional and Urban Design Committee

View Only

Community HTML

pexels-photo-443383.jpeg

Quick Links

Who we are

The Regional and Urban Design Committee (RUDC) aims to improve the quality of the regional and urban environment by promoting excellence in design, planning, and public policy in the built environment. This will be achieved through its member and public education, in concert with allied community and professional groups. Join us!

2024 Symposium

The 2024 symposium will be held in Indianapolis, IN in November. Stay tuned for dates and location. Registration will open in July.

2023 RUDC Symposium

The RUDC Symposium, held in Washington, DC October 19-20, covered emerging trends, theories, and technologies that are shaping the future of regional and urban design. Watch the engaging highlight and speaker videos >.

My architectural, environmental and general impressions of Cuba 2023

• 1.  My architectural, environmental and general impressions of Cuba 2023

Posted 12-04-2023 12:18 PM

"We are all Americans": An attempt to understand Cuba 

Todos somos Americanos  (Cuba tour guide at the end of week of sightseeing stating her pleasure of having a group of US visitors)
    The Southwest Airline Boeing from Fort Lauderdale to Havana was the same model as the one I had taken from BWI. But in this plane everything felt different. A bit chaotic, many clearly were  not frequent fliers. Though we still sat on US soil the flight attendant spoke exclusively in Spanish, even when she asked if anybody would need the announcements in English. Since almost all passengers were Cuban, only one American raised his hand and caused the safety instructions to be read in two languages. (I later learned he was a Californian and part of our tour group. His Spanish speaking wife had translated the question).
    Mural illustrating the name of an artist camp
    called Korimakao, derived from the aboriginal 
    term 
    "kori" for man and "macao" for the arthropod
    living in abandoned sea shells. (Photo: Philipsen)

The seats were not all taken but the luggage bins filled anyway. Folks took full advantage of the airline's slogan, "two bags fly free" to bring home many of the things that were missing on an island barred from US imports. This plane was thus exhibit one for an economy that the French news station France 24 had called a shipwreck just the evening before my departure to Cuba. Havana's international airport became the first in my travel experience, where the luggage had to go through a full check before I could enter the country.
    The Journey
    Coming from Lauderdale's ultra modern airport with the latest generation luggage scanners (no need to take the laptop out) Havana's airport was quite the contrast: We had to disembark via two sets of stairs that had rolled up to the front and back of the plane, mobility impaired passengers included. Then walk a few feet across the tarmac to the nearby one story international terminal with departure and arrival halls side by side. 

That Cuba is like a time machine throwing a visitor back half a century is a cliche. But for  me....  READ FULL STORY, CLICK HERE

------------------------------
    [Klaus] Philipsen FAIA
    Archplan Inc. Philipsen Architects
    Baltimore MD
    ------------------------------
    24.04.30 RUDC AIAU