Public Architects Committee

View Only

Community HTML

Thomas Jefferson Memorial

Quick Links

Who we are

The Public Architects (PA) Committee promotes excellence in public architecture and enhances the role of the public architect as an essential element in the planning, design, construction, and management of public facilities. Join us!

Events

PA Symposium at AIA24

PA Open Forum at AIA24

Input on developing the Public Architects 2024 Webinar Program

• 1.  Input on developing the Public Architects 2024 Webinar Program

Posted 10-24-2023 02:39 PM

Fellow PAKC members,

Below is a draft list of topics that your leadership committee has proposed to organize as part of next year's AIAU's 2024 webinar series.  Could you please let us know (or email me separately) if you have the expertise to present on any of these topics?  If not, do you know of colleagues or experts whom you would recommend as providing expert knowledge that will benefit you in your practice? 

• Embodied Carbon - more of WELL, LEED, COTE basket of knowledge and what is important for public architects to know 
    • Stewardship: innovations in capital planning and adaptive reuse during a time of inflation and decreased funding availability 
    • Deferred Maintenance and Funding: how to manage the threat of closures, challenge of developing appreciation for modernization and maintenance, politics of capital funding (bridging the governance gaps between capital and operations funds) 
    • Security: the public safety portfolio and wholesale transformation of the justice system facing multi-year planning, political and technical challenges 
    • Why do Architects in Government Matter?

I also know that there are a number of members on this list who have prior KC leadership experience.  The AIA Knowledge Board Community is currently holding virtual engagement calls to discuss best ways to realize the full potential and improve the volunteer experience of the knowledge communities.  If you would like to participate, please let me know and I would be happy to share the Zoom invitation with you. The 1-hour long meetings will take place on: 10/27 at 3:00pm; 10/31 at 9:30am and 11/8 at 3:00pm.

Thank you for all you do!

------------------------------
    Ludmilla Pavlova-Gillham AIA
    University of Massachusetts
    Amherst MA
    ------------------------------