6/8/20 UPDATE: ICC has extended the application deadline for the 2021/2022 ICC Code Committees to Monday, June 15, 11:59pm Pacific Time. See the original post below or this Dropbox link for full details: https://bit.ly/3bJazQU
Hello AIA members,
There is a June 15 deadline for a crucial advocacy opportunity for architects to help shape the future of our built environment. The International Code Council (ICC) is accepting applications
to serve on its 2021/2022 Code Committees during the next code cycle to develop the 2024 editions of the ICC International Codes. What is this and why should I participate?
These ICC Code Committees will have a significant influence on the content of our national model construction codes. As an architect, you are eminently qualified to serve in this way. The task of being on a Code Committee uses the skills and knowledge you already have.
What are you passionate about? You have the potential to make a big impact in the following areas:
- Improving building resilience
- Furthering sustainable design
- Shaping how existing buildings are repurposed
- Making schools safer
Your service on an ICC Code Committee will allow you to help craft model codes that ensure public health, safety, and welfare in communities across the country:
Where can I learn more about this process?
- During the previous code development cycle, the AIA – along with Architecture 2030 – was successful in getting the Zero Code Renewable Energy Appendix into the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC). This voluntary appendix provides local jurisdictions a credible, standardized, consensus-approved option for pursuing their own goals for decarbonization in their built environments. Moving forward, it will be necessary to defend the appendix from changes which may weaken it or make it less adoptable.
- This will also be the first code development cycle since the COVID-19 outbreak. Added importance will be given to code changes that address ventilation, spaces for safe person-to-person interaction, contact surfaces, etc.
Check out these resources for more information on the code development process and what serving on an ICC Code Committee entails:
How can I apply?Applications for the ICC Code Committees
are due June 15, 2020
by 11:59pm Pacific Time (this includes applications for both the Group A committees serving in 2021 and the Group B committees serving in 2022). Application forms are available here
(use the links under “Codes Committees”).
Those selected to one of these ICC Code Committees are authorized to travel at ICC’s expense when participating at the Committee Action Hearings in April 2021 (for Group A) and April 2022 (for Group B).
Also, to address some frequently asked questions (FAQs) we've received about the application form:
- Are you authorized to vote on behalf of the entity you represent? -- Neither AIA National nor its components will have official representatives on any ICC Code Committee. AIA members applying to serve should indicate that they are representing themselves and/or their firms.
- Will you have an instructed vote? -- Neither AIA National nor its components will have official representatives on any ICC Code Committee, and therefore does not instruct any members serving on the Code Committees how to vote. AIA members applying to serve should indicate that they are representing themselves and/or their firms.
- Who or what organization, company, interest, etc., funds your participation? -- Individuals selected to one of these ICC Code Committees are authorized to travel at ICC’s expense when participating at the Committee Action Hearings in April 2021 (for Group A committees) and April 2022 (for Group B committees). AIA National will not be funding the participation of members selected to a Code Committee.
- What Interest Category should I select? -- Most architects would probably fall into the the User Interest (U) category. However, those employed by the kinds of entities listed within the other interest categories may select one of those. We particularly encourage any AIA members who are employed by a government entity involved in construction regulation (e.g. code officials, plans examiners, etc.) to submit applications in the General Interest (G) category.
For complete information, visit the ICC Call for Committees webpage
. Can I share this information with my colleagues and/or my AIA component?
Yes, please do! Feel free to share, forward, and post this information however and wherever you see fit. For your convenience, versions of this announcement have been posted on Facebook
, and AIA KnowledgeNet
(members only).What if I have questions?
Should you have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Paul Karrer with AIA National at email@example.com
or (402) 968-1384. This is great and I’ve decided to apply!
That’s fantastic! If you do decide to apply for one or more ICC code committees, please send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org
with a copy of your application (you can even just CC us with the application email you send to ICC). Thank you, and good luck!#Standards/Codes#CommitteeontheEnvironment#AcademyofArchitectureforHealth#CustomResidentialArchitectsNetwork#DesignforAgingKnowledgeCommunity#HousingKnowledgeCommunity#TechnicalDesignforBuildingPerformance#RetailandEntertainmentCommittee