Custom Residential Architects Network

Expand all | Collapse all

Detailing houses

• 1.  Detailing houses

Posted 11-30-2012 01:05 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Housing Knowledge Community and Custom Residential Architects Network .
    -------------------------------------------
    Here are some interesting comments from a Fellow in the AIA, whose business is largely spent cleaning up after other architects, contractors, engineers and others, whose points of view he posted in another AIA forum.  All of us should listen to this guy:

Dennis Hall, FAIA, FCSI With the adoption of STC and IIC requirements into the IBC, we have experienced a lack of understanding by design professionals of these requirements and how to properly design fire and acoustical considerations as a part of dwelling unit separation. Almost every condo case we are seeing today has an acoustical component to the litigation.

In regard to exterior building envelope issues, water intrusion is the major issue in all litigation and what I call the 90/10 rule. Culpability: 90% of the problems are construction problems and 10 % are design.
    Design errors are 90% failing to detail conditions and leaving it up to the Contractor to understand the Code and trade standards and 10% is designing the envelope to leak.

Rand Soellner AIA
    Architect/Owner/Principal
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC
    Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 2.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-03-2012 06:02 PM
    Rand,
    You are on point,

Just met with builder, and a good one who told he did not know the level of dry wall finish, water proofing products, and few more details of the house. He suggested I call the subcontractors to find out the answers. The owner and contractor have gone to contract and substitutions have been made to get to budget but with no back up.

Dennis's point is spot on, the subcontractor is making the call. In this case we have excellent and knowable subs, but it leaves the architect in the back seat.
    We have spent the last day coordinating what has been detailed to what has been priced. All is good. But what if the details are missing. They are not required by code to be in the CD set.

The architect is on the hook for not doing enough if so accused.  It is hard to suggest the client did not pay us enough to do a thorough job detailing the house.
    In many cases the client is hiring the architect for general consulting and will work out the details with builder. 

There is large market for this level of service and is one we see all to often when up against home designers.

Has anyone adjusted there contract to limit the service and liability to a consulting level?

Donald Duffy AIA
    Don Duffy Architecture
    Charlotte NC

Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 3.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-04-2012 08:52 AM
    Thank you, Donald, for recognizing the situation, as our peer, Dennis Hall, FAIA knows all too well in his forensic architectural business.  He also is the main contributor to the latest edition of Residential Architectural Graphic Standards, and is displayed on the AIA Homepage as an example of a knowledgeable architect.

You raise a good question: how do we cover various detailed aspects of routine homes that we design when our fees are low?  Here is one suggestion that has worked well for me: Through the years, I have developed Master Details and my own Master Specifications.  I am sure that most of have done this, in one form or another.  I keep most of this one a huge AutoCad single file and have strong computer that allows me to do that.  ALL of these details and specs are copied and pasted when I begin a new project, no matter what it's size may be, as I use the most recent project and then "Save As" the new project.  Then, the question is: what do I erase?  Not, what do I create, with regard to the Master Details and Specifications.  Yes, you do have to edit these, but that is normally much easier than creating all the details and specs from scratch, especially if your design uses standard conditions that you already have "in the can." 

Then it is a simple matter to show a few detail callouts on your building sections and plans, and edit your specs.  For instance, I have a master detail that illustrates the proper installation of flashing tape around a window opening (something that I believe all of us should be including, because at some point, all windows will begin to leak).  I rarely have to modify this detail sheet, other than to change out the title block and date.  So, my clients get a good value from me, because I include such material.  Such would be the case from any architect who includes Master Details and Master Specifications, developed from previous similar projects.  And to be clear: my specs occupy drawings sheets, so they can't be "misplaced" (I put them in my A15- drawing series). There is no spec book.  Doesn't matter.  That's how I do it; you do it in the manner that works best for you. 
    The only question you have to struggle with is: how much do you want to charge for your valuable previous work?  That is something only you can determine in your marketplace.  Regarding unique new conditions, my thought would be to detail at least one TYPE of unique condition, then let that serve to guide the contractor as to how to resolve Similar conditions, if you have a tight design budget and lower fee. And, my suggestion would be to make sure that you have a general note in your specs that says just that: "Not all conditions have been detailed.  However, use the provided details to help resolve similar conditions in the project."

And beware of contractors and owners making substitutions to lower costs without your architectural input and your signed consent.  Do Not agree to these, unless you have been consulted and paid for your time: that is called Substitution Analysis.  I know this happens all the time (contractors changing things).  But you should Not take a hit if something goes wrong because They changed your specs and details (assuming you covered the items that they changed).   Just my 2 cents worth. 

Rand Soellner AIA
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC

• 4.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-05-2012 02:00 PM
    Rand,
    All good points,

We do a similar process but pull from old files. Too many to remember actually. Same of the specs. Specs have become an option for us. The  builder may provide their own. The are usually not at our standard but have worked the the builder.

We see many jobs where the builder is on board before we are. In those cases the client-builder relationship is very strong and our work is planning and prepare for permit. No more

When we go out to building community for bids I am becoming more aggressive with the builders to make them note any changes in our specifications, materials, and deviation from detail they intend not to do.

We have had some success with clients allowing  us to edit the plans and specs  for tidy construction package.   A lot happens after the price is in and the final agreement between the owner is reached.

We are are starting to treat this part of the process as an architectural phase our  work has to go through. Construction Contract Phase, right after the bidding phase. Then we move into Project Admin Phase.

15 years left to perfect my process. Always learning, always teaching

Donald Duffy AIA
    Don Duffy Architecture
    Charlotte NC

• 5.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-06-2012 08:09 AM
    Hi Don,  Whatever works best for you.  Watch out for implied liability on your part for contractor changes that you did not approve.  Classic case in point: GC switching to cheaper asphalt water-RESISTIVE barrier below grade around basement walls, as opposed to your own superior polyurethane waterPROOF barrier, then having the client come back on you, because the basement leaks. Sounds like you are monitoring such unapproved substitutions, which at first, might make the client happy to be saving a few bucks, but then later comes back to haunt them.

Rand Soellner AIA
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC

• 6.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-06-2012 08:57 AM
    Rand
    I believe your final comment goes back to your quote from Dennis Hall, FAIA. At some point the liability will fall on the design professional.A root problem is the negotiation of fees that allow us sufficient resources(time and money)  to properly design and detail the project. That means working smarter when we have a limited design budget but it also means aligning a clients expectations to the reality of what they are paying you (you get what you pay for). We need to make our client realize that fee paid to design professionals is the best Return on Investment they can make.

Robert Moore AIA
    Robert E. Moore Architect
    Monroe NC

• 7.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-07-2012 08:10 AM
    Yes sir.  Agreed. Educating clients as to the Value of an Architect's services. We are not a commodity.  The AIA and other organizations should have continuous public awareness programs that inform (and hopefully delight) the public about what we do and why anyone would want an architect to design their home.

Rand Soellner AIA
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC

• 8.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-10-2012 08:14 AM
    The attitude of people about architects is well presented in this video - "Its not rocket science".  Too bad, but that is the corner we (or the AIA) have backed ourselves into.
    http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/diy-home-for-less-than-3500/

Edward Cazayoux FAIA
    Principal/architect
    EnvironMental Design
    Breaux Bridge LA

• 9.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-11-2012 12:07 PM
    Our problem is that we are mostly stuck in a traditional business model for getting our services out there. Also the plan books have degraded our worth, yet they also allow average people to afford better designs. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these designs are terrible to say the least. Now for those of you who think in absolutist, binary ways, I didn't say ALL. The economic principle of Substitution essentially states that the cheapest "equivalent" product will have the widest distribution. Walmart exemplifies this business strategy. When these plans are cheapened to $500-$2000 dollars, this becomes the cheap made Chinese stereo being distributed the Walmarts of the Building Industry by the millions (1.6 million per year) and therefore handmade products like the Rolls Royce, that may be considered top shelf, are ignored by the average person because it's out of their range. What's interesting is that BMW and Mercedes used to be the unobtainable cars that only the wealthy could afford. I can't drive more than a 1/2 mile through Atlanta without seeing one of each today. These higher end products with a higher perceived level of quality become very desirable and widely distributed when the prices come down enough to compete with the rest of the average cars. Your low end Honda may be much cheaper than the low end BMW, but your low end BMW is competitive with a high end Honda.

I've preached and preached about the value of working directly with builders. When you get into a rhythm with a builder, you no longer need all the paranoid, cover your butt documentation because you know how they build window openings, you know what products their subs are comfortable using, you can streamline your process and avoid exhaustive site visits. You can avoid the problems that always arise in traditional service delivery. When we design a house and send the client out into the world to have 3 or more unknown builders bid on it, we have no idea what we're going to get. When we specify the newest Rolls Royce flashing/ waterproofing system that the lunch and learn product rep sold us on that the winning bidder has never used, we put them in a position of having to use a new product for the first time and warrantee the assembly. I would rather use the system the builder has had success with time and time again than to use a new product that I was told is the best, costs 10x more, and can't even be seen anyway. We often get caught up in "making things better" by experimenting. When it comes to making better designs more affordable, you have to pick your battles and really understand the theory of more bang for the buck, not more buck for the bang.

We often bad mouth builders for being incompetent boobs that are out to destroy the quality of our buildings with cheap, negligent installations. Sure, many builders are cheap and negligent, but I don't know a single builder that wants to intentionally sabotage an assembly that they have to warrantee. When I negotiate product inclusions, assembly construction, etc. I'm always looking at what their subs are currently using and how successful those assemblies have been in the past. After 10 projects working with the same builder, you and the builder are pushing the envelope in ways that reduce liability for both, they prevent cost overruns/ change orders, they prevent client relationships from getting ugly and thus reduce lawsuits. After over 200 built projects, I've never had a single threat of a lawsuit. This is much like a design build relationship without the liability of being responsible for both Design and Installation.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. We can't sit here and whine about not being loved and respected if we keep repeating the same business practices. We all want to put pictures of the next Rolls Royce in our portfolio and at the same time wonder why regular people don't want to spend 1/2 their annual salary on an instruction manual. We put ourselves in this corner and we're not going to convince people to change their budgets or what they are willing to pay for our services until we can figure out how to prove to them our ability to design better buildings can be affordable, obtainable, and valuable to them. People have to get loans, which will be based on an APPRAISAL! When appraisals are based on the lousy houses that just sold in your area, houses with construction budgets that included using a $1500 plan used for the 100th time (i.e. $15 design), then the value of design is practically nothing in the eyes of the appraiser and thus the bank. If we could prove our designs do add value, if we could prove people are willing to pay more for a better designed building, then the appraisers would see us more favorably. We can't force them to automatically give us more value. We have to prove it with sales. Real Estate Appraisers go by the same bible as the Appraisers from Antiques Road Show and it's called the Uniform Standards for Professional Appraisal Practice. We are not going to change the fundamental mindset of basing value on current sales in the open market. Our custom houses are NOT sales, so we need to create better houses that do qualify as sales if we want to raise our value. We must custom design speculative houses, make sure they sell for more, and then we can prove our better designs sell for more. We have been designing so many houses for homeowners that are so specific to that person that the majority of people may not like living in them. When I design spec houses in different neighborhoods as close as 2 miles apart, the demographic buying in those areas often have different needs. We are notorious for being out of touch with the general needs of each location and expect people to love the aesthetics over the functionality. I've learned some hard lessons about ignoring what people need, but now my designs tend to sell for more and much quicker. Now that's valuable to a builder and a prospective homeowner! 

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

• 10.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-10-2012 10:14 AM

Although we keep claiming architectural design to be a service and not a commodity, other forces are conspiring to drag the profession in the other direction. I have recently learned of a company called www.ArcBazar.com that pairs clients to designers around the world in the form of "Paid competitions." A prize of perhaps $1000 is put up for the redesign of an entire house and there will be 8-12 competitiors who each upload their solutions within a deadline set by the client. The website takes 20% of the "prize" off the top, the selected winner supposedly gets what's left and the other competitors get the "pleasure and honor" of competing. With the use of BIM many of the completed projects LOOK fairly well developed and have multiple perspective renderings. There is no guarantee of code compliance, saftey considerations or even buildability but clearly the comptitors are each deoting scores of hours in work, if not more.

The Advisory Board included many alleged professors from Harvard and MIT. Does anyone know any of these people?:
    Oliver Bandte
    Tim Curran
    Sarah Goldhagen
    Jon Hirschtick
    William Porter
    Daniel Schadek

I would say they have a lot to answer for. There is to my mind something HIGHLY unethical about luring desperate people from around the US and around the world to design with little to no prospect of getting paid. There is an even gretter unethical quality about collecting a salary fro a university where people are paying $50,000 a year to lear to be architects and the debasing the profession through the use of this near fraudulent offer of compensation. It is like have 20 people rake your yard and offering to pay the one that you judge to have raked the best minimum wage and paying the others nothing. Does this shock others as much as it shocks me?

Regards,
    Ross Cann AIA, LEED AP
    Senior Architect
    A4 Architecture + Planning
    Newport RI

• 11.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-11-2012 08:13 AM
      |   view attached
    Ross,

I pointed this ArcBazar site out to this group almost exactly one year ago:

http://network.aia.org/cran/Discussions/ViewThread/?GroupId=1771&MID=6302

Go take a look. The response in my mind was pathetic. The mood was "What do we care, we are above all that...", the same attitude that has landed architects in the tiny corner they continue to paint themselves into. 

Don't expect any support for your outrage about this competition site here, nor from the AIA. I see no evidence that architects get this, nor see their marginalized position as a problem.

I would be a rich man if I had a nickel for every time an architect suggested that the solution to the problem of people not appreciating architects is "educating people". I think GM tried that once. Their solution to making lousy cars was to educate the public to like lousy cars. It did not work out so well for them.

Gregory La Vardera
    Architect
    Gregory La Vardera Architect
    Merchantville NJ

• 12.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-11-2012 09:23 AM
    ...the problem of people not appreciating architects is "educating people".

Sorry Greg, That IS how I feel.  Ralph Nader nader.org/ & Michael Jacobson's Nutrition Action www.cspinet.org/ alone can be credited to safe cars, seat belts, awareness of BHA and BHT in children's cereal (tumors in rats in 1976), movie popcorn, ad infinitum. Without these great people and organizations educating others were would we be? Someones need to have the balls to spread the message.

Now if the message is to advertise crap; the American auto 15 years ago, an AIA logo for the sake of the logo, or expensive unnecessary design, I agree with you (though some people in Cupertino may disagree! ;^) But if there is a real message, like a nation eating healthy food (instead of a current paradigm of cheap sugar based crap supported by tax payers corn subsidies) in order to save out country hundreds of billions today in taxes and trillions in future health costs.... then the message IS worth sharing and will catch eventually.

www.forksoverknives.com/  & http://www.ovguide.com/food,-inc.-9202a8c04000641f800000000b63f6e2

I do believe that good design makes for a better life and will maintain maximum resale value on one's nest egg. While I agree that most anyone can do this (its not heart surgery,) educating people on the importance of hiring a professional to guide you through the process is good. The key is how to morph our service to touch more people. I don't have that answer... but I come here to discuss how it may be possible people like you!

it's not about the architect,
    it's not about the architecture,
    it's about celebrating the process of architecture.

So, I owe you another nickle!

Peace!

Dave

PS - Disclosure : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_F._Jacobson is my mother's first cousin

David Andreozzi AIA
    Owner
    Andreozzi Architects
    Barrington RI

• 13.  RE:Detailing houses

Posted 12-11-2012 08:24 AM
    yes sir.

Rand Soellner AIA
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC