Small Project Design

Structural Engineers on Small Project

• 1.  Structural Engineers on Small Project

Posted 09-25-2014 06:05 PM
    Structural Engineers on small projects. I have practiced for over 40 years and have always used a structural engineer. On small projects they usually overdesign, if you listen to the contractor. However, you have the liability. If there is a failure you bear the cost of replacement and the damage to your reputation. I have always taken the advise of the engineer, let him/her stamp the plans and bear the brunt of criticism from the client. It has cost me jobs. On one project I did a small addition and a garage for a very expensive house -3 to 4 million variety. I got on great with the client who was very rich and easy to work with. That is, until the contractor said there was too much steel in the foundation. I tried to explain that engineering knowledge trumps practical advise when you are licensed to do something.However, they had used the contractor on another job and listened to him. I was accused of costing the project unnecessarily. They did other projects later and I didn't get any of them. I knew that would happen, but would rather find a new client than have a failure that I could never recover from. I would (and have) done it again. It is the cost of doing business. It is giving professional advise in lieu of convenient cooperation.

-------------------------------------------
    Arthur Rogers AIA
    The Architects Studio - AJR
    Dallas TX
    -------------------------------------------