New & Noteworthy
Free Webinar: AEC Hackathon
Sponsored by AIA Technology in Architectural Practice (TAP) Knowledge Community
Tuesday April 7, 2015 | 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM ET | Earn 1.0 AIA LUs
Join us for a behind the scenes look at the AEC Hackathon with Paul Doherty, the co-founder of the AEC Hackathon community. The AEC Hackathon is a non-profit event that creates on-the-spot teams of technologists and industry stakeholders to shape the future of our built environment. The hackathon provides a playful, exploratory environment where disruption and creative ideas are the essential tools for innovation. The webinar will showcase past AEC Hackathon solutions, what the community does today and what the AEC Hackathon is doing next.
1. Define what is a Hackathon and how the process, event and community are affecting the Architecture profession
2. Understand the AEC Hackathon Community and its influence on Research & Development for the Architecture profession
3. Expose attendees to innovations in design, construction and facility management that has grown out of the AEC Hackathon
4. How to use Hackathon methods and procedures to affect measurable change in an architectural practice
Meeting Challenges & Overcoming Obstacles During CCA – Approaches Toward Best Practice
Free webinar sponsored by AIA Construction Contract Administration (CCA) Knowledge Community
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 | 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM ET | Earn 1.0 AIA LUs
An approach toward ideas for advancing the effectiveness and value of architectural service provided in the construction contract administration phase. Identifying some of the challenges encountered during this phase, ideas for establishing a methodology in anticipation, to avoid them and preparations made to surmount them.
1. Be able to evaluate and develop approaches toward preparedness and beneficial staff training.
2. Discuss the benefits of CCA staff involvement in the project design and documentation process and potential toward proper interpretation of the contract documents.
3. Understand the necessity, objectives and value of a clearly defined scope of services.
4. Develop an understanding of the approaches toward controlling the CCA procedures and process.
Join COD in Norway for the Spring Conference
Locally Grown | Norway – June 21-30, 2015
Registration closes on June 1, 2015. For discounted rates, register before April 15, 2015.
We will visit three cities - Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger - as well as rural places and projects in between. We will get an historical prospective by visiting a few key structures - a traditional wood farm village, a Stave Church as well as some 19th and 20th century projects. We will then visit new projects, with their architects, to learn how the evolving culture is influencing today's architecture and design.
These firms represent a wide variety of ages, nationalities, sizes of practices, and types of work. Some projects are bigger, some very small. In all cases the projects are rooted in Norwegian traditions while being innovative in their form and craft.
Apply for a $5,000 Scholarship with 2015 a/e ProNet
Applications due: April 2, 2015
Results will be announced by May 30, 2015
Two students, who best demonstrate strong interest in practice and risk management, will each receive a $5,000 award.
Eligible applicants are:
1. Fourth year students in a NAAB accredited degree program, or
2. Fourth year students of a four-year pre-professional degree program in architecture accepted for direct entry to a two-year NAAB accredited M.Arch/D.Arch program, or
3. First year students in a NAAB accredited M.Arch/D.Arch degree program for students with undergraduate degrees in another discipline.
AIA Awards Deadlines
Log in to see this information
AIA Scholarships & Fellowships
Apr 7, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM (ET)
Apr 9, 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM (ET)
Log in to see this information
AIA Contract Documents
AIA Contract Documents Products for Small Firms
Thursday, April 9, 2015 | 1:00 - 2:30pm | No credit available | Fee: $0
This webinar will include
Documents on Demand Plus, ACD5 online platform, and desktop software
training. Attendees will also learn where to access free AIA resources,
tools and guides developed to assist small firms in contract
administration. Attendees will follow along while the trainer shows you how to use key
features, access resources and support, and answers your questions about
AIA Contract Documents products suitable for small firms. Register here
Understanding the General Conditions of a Construction Contract
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 | 2:00 - 3:30pm | Eligible for 1.5 AIA CES/HSW LU | Fees: Member: $25; Non-Member: $40
A contract’s General Conditions define the requirements,
responsibilities, and relationship between the architect, owner and
contractor of a project. Undesirable results, disputes, claims, and
unmet expectations may result from the failure of the project team to
fully understand these specifications. Join us for a detailed review and analysis of AIA Document A201-2007,
General Conditions of the Contract for Construction, to discover the
essential information that you should understand before you begin any
project. Register here
Beginners Guide to Using AIA Contract Documents and Software- In person!
Friday, June 12, 2015 | 9:00am - 1:30pm | Eligible for 4 AIA/CES LU Hours | Location: AIA National | Fee: Member/Non-Member: $199
During this course, you will learn the importance of having
written contracts in place, and the potential dangers in operating
without them; explore the contractual relationship between the various
construction parties and how contracts define the responsibility,
authority, and expectations of each; and become familiar with the key
features of commonly-used AIA contract documents. You will also participate in live demonstrations of the
latest version of AIA Contract Documents Software to discover the key
features that will save you time and money, and keep your projects
organized. Register here
Connect with AIA Contract Documents® on Social Media!
Facebook | Twitter | Testimonials
Like our page and follow us to stay up to date on industry news and the latest from AIA Contract Documents. We’re
making announcements about events we’re attending, speaking
engagements, new opportunities to earn Learning Units (LU’s) and much