Technology in Architectural Practice

• 1.  Local User Groups

Posted 12-07-2011 11:48 AM
    We have started up a local Revit users group and I was wondering about how firm owners view paying for user group memberships.
    Do they (you) see this as a benefit for your employees because they are getting software skills to make your office more efficient or a personal item that a firm would not financially support because they see it as sharing your office functions / software ideas?

-------------------------------------------
    Ken Gallegos AIA
    Architect
    Lombard-Conrad Architects, PA
    Boise ID

• 2.  RE:Local User Groups

Posted 12-08-2011 09:47 AM
    Ken,
    There are always 3 sides to every argument...
        First, the definition and distribution of the benefits of knowledge that you, as a 'current employee', purport would accrue to the firm are meekly secondary compared to the direct and compounded benefits you as an individual would gain from your participation in YOUR pursuit of knowledge and networking comraderie.
        Second, the direction and strategies your current 'Owners'  have for your long term ascendency within the firm for their benefit is not glaringly apparent from your question, but your undertone is classically Dickensian - (Oliver Twist asking his keepers for MORE porridge).
        Third, always remember the Firm is a 'person' too! You may think you are an equal to the firm, but never forget the Firm is 'More Equal' than you. Firms and their Owners do what's in their perceived best interests. So you have to ask yourself before you ask the Owners for compensation," Do you feel lucky today?... Well do you, punk?!"
        Finally, and this is of utmost importance, DO IT! - whether it is reimbursed or not. Follow your gut. Follow your dream.

John Ahern, AIA
    President AIA Treasure Coast Chapter
    Ahern & Associates Architects, P.A.
    Stuart FL

• 3.  RE:Local User Groups

Posted 12-08-2011 09:56 AM
    Ken,

From my experiences, Business Owners would support it - but not necessarily by paying membership dues.  I think they would more likely support it by allowing employees time off of work to go to meetings or maybe sponsoring a meeting, or providing facilities to have the meeting.

If you required membership dues for your group, I think the employee would more than likely be the ones paying for it.  Maybe if the dues was really inexpensive, some employers may make it a benefit for their employees, but they may also limit who gets those benefits.

It it were 2006 or 2007, you may get more support for your idea.  Now, with firms struggling due to the lack of projects, I don't think you will get as much as you would have.

(Before anyone shoots the messenger, I am relating what I have experienced.  If I were the owner of a firm, I would support it 100% as long as the dues were reasonable.  I understand the need and potential of it.)

Sincerely,

Kent Steen Assoc. AIA
    Associate, Architectural Designer
    Davis Design
    Lincoln NE

• 4.  RE:Local User Groups

Posted 12-08-2011 11:59 AM
    Ken,

Although I am not a firm owner, I have been involved in several iterations of Revit User Groups in the past, so please consider my feedback accordingly.

This type of user group is highly valuable, but the idea of another subscription fee will most likely deter folks from participating.  If you can find a (free) place to host a meeting, have the meetings before or after office hours, the only cost would be food /drinks (if considered).

I find that local or regional software resellers are also interested in user groups, and will participate and (usually) cover the costs of meetings.  Working with a reseller also broadens the user group's exposure and will increase attendance (with the caveat that the reseller cannot use the meeting as a platform to promote the reseller's company).

Participation is key!  Hope this helps and good luck!

Bryan Harder AIA
    Architect
    Lott + Barber
    Savannah GA

• 5.  RE:Local User Groups

Posted 12-08-2011 07:53 PM

User groups I have joined have been free.
    Charles Graham AIA
    Architect
    O'Neal, Inc.
    Greenville SC

• 6.  RE:Local User Groups

Posted 12-12-2011 04:26 PM

As a partner I can tell you the likelihood of the firm covering this expense depends on both the amount and return on that investment. Our local group (http://505bimusersgroup.ning.com/) has been a valuable resource and well worth the very reasonable cost of $100/6 persons/year. It has been the only source of practical best practices, is great for networking (our last hire came from contacts made there), and the case studies presented are not the mega-project examples most software vendors seem to think we all do. Meetings are monthly luncheons sponsored by vendors and suppliers held at a community college. Pizza lunches are simple and cheap and can be done in most any meeting room. This type of volunteer-based grass roots organization is extremely efficient at spreading useful information. As a firm owner that is exactly the type of investment I consider worthwhile.

Paul Gladysz AIA
    BDA Architecture, P.C.
    Albuquerque NM

• 7.  RE:Local User Groups

Posted 12-13-2011 09:40 AM

I agree with Kent and Bryan. I do not think an employer will pay a membership fee for their employees to belong to a Revit user group. The exception to this might be if the user group alreday has a succesful track record, national membership, and a very low fee (less than $100/year).
    Craig Mount AIA
    AECOM
    Los Angeles CA