Technology in Architectural Practice

• 1.  Vectorworks or ArchiCAD

Posted 02-16-2012 12:46 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Small Project Practitioners and Technology in Architectural Practice .
    -------------------------------------------

I am tired of Autodesk expense and incompatibility with its own products. Considering Vectorworks or ArchiCAD, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Taylor AIA
    Principal Architect
    CTA Architects Inc.
    San Marcos CA
    Join us at AIA24 for technology sessions! June 5 through 8, Washington, DC. Click here to learn more.

• 2.  RE:Vectorworks or ArchiCAD

Posted 02-17-2012 08:06 AM
    Vectorworks vs. Archicad depends on the size of your firm/project teams. They are now both Nemechek products.

For simple 2d cad and inclusion of hand/photographic graphics, Vectorworks has a much faster learning curve. It is also a 'relatively' intuitive entry to working through 3d modelling as your basic approach to schematic design and design development; allowing a straight forward transition from the model to contract documentation.  It also allows for a reasonably painless, and time saving, transition from 'line editing' (basic autocad drafting) to the use of intelligent object oriented drafting (Architectural Desktop / Revit /Archicad). Vectorwork's limitations tend to occur in the less clear methodologies provided for larger workgroups working on a single project. They work but require a larger learning curve in the early set-up and management. Although requiring some additional work, Vectoworks can comply with GSA BIM requirements. Vectorworks is sold in a component approach, start with basic cad, add features relevant to architecture / landscape architecture / theater set and lighting design / and 3d photorealistic rendering as you feel the need in your practice.

Archicad has moved much more towards the larger workgroup coordinated work on a central 3d/BIM model, from which all 2d documentation is then derived. As such they have a much more robust team approach to projects. This comes with the standard proviso of a need for much tighter office standards, with a team/document manager and an immediate move to object oriented drafting. Archicad is much closer to REVIT, both in attitude and in cost. Large projects, large teams it is almost indispensable.

Both programs are equally at home on OSX or Windows - easing hardware considerations.

Christopher Blood AIA

Join us at AIA24 for technology sessions! June 5 through 8, Washington, DC. Click here to learn more.

• 3.  RE:Vectorworks or ArchiCAD

Posted 02-17-2012 09:33 AM
    We have been using ArchiCAD pretty much since it's inception.  We have 4 seats.  The expense of this, or any CAD system---as you know doubt know--is in the cost of learning to use it.  I think it costs me something north of $1000 a seat a year to keep current,  and I often would rather not "upgrade", but I consider it just the cost of doing business, and the software has enabled us to produce MUCH more work, and a higher grade product. I don't know Vectorworks, but certainly think ArchiCAD has been well worth the money to us.  Company is moderately flakey, but I suspect they all are.  I was not pleased when they pulled the franchise back from my long time dealer, but the service since has been OK.  My observation is that AutoCAD has such a large installed base that it can't really modernize.  Remember Wordstar?
    Robert Knight AIA
    Knight Associates Inc.
    Blue Hill ME

• 4.  RE:Vectorworks or ArchiCAD

Posted 02-17-2012 10:39 AM

I have been a proponent of & using ArchiCAD since 2001. We thoroughly evaluated the top 4 or 5 programs in 2001 & selected ArchiCAD.  Since then, we have re-visited our selection every +/-4 years.  Ease of use, short learning curve, interoperability & ArchiCAD's BIM-server are unmatched in the market place (IMHO).
    My only exposure to Vector-works (since our initial selection)  is with a firm we teamed with a few years back & they used Vector-works for Design, but they used AutoCAD for CD's. I think that says it all. It may have been that firm's lack of knowledge/training, but why use more than one program to get your work done.

Good luck,
    Brett Luecke AIA
    Vice President
    Connolly Architects, Inc.
    Mequon WI

• 5.  RE:Vectorworks or ArchiCAD

Posted 02-17-2012 01:06 PM
    I have been using Vectorworks (previously MiniCad) for a long time and have seen it grow into a truly spectacularly great piece of software.  Very powerful, very robust, and extremely capable of the most complex of 2d AND 3d drawing.  The Designer package which includes the full rendering engine, along with modules for landscape and mechanical and lighting is a terrific value.  The Learn curve is long, meaning you can get really, really deep into the product, but it is not steep, so you can be up and running fairly easily and then get as deep over time as you like.  It is substantially less expensive than Autocad and maintains a good degree of backwards compatibility.  It can read and create .dwg files which is important of course.  Vectorworks is fully cross platform Mac and PC and looks and feels almost identical on both platforms.   I have never used Archicad so I have no basis for comparison there.  I believe there are demo versions available and there is lots of information online. 

Stuart Allyn Assoc. AIA
    ADR Studios, Inc.
    Irvington NY