Technology in Architectural Practice

• 1.  RE:How often do you really benefit from upgrading Autodesk.....

Posted 04-23-2014 01:01 AM
    Hi David, I have heard this question and experienced it first hand. It is not uncommon for software providers to become complacent with their customers. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast all across our industry. I had a ceramic tiler who did a beautiful job and had done more that 50 high end projects for us in Australia. I recommended him highly and it came to the point where I no longer need to check on his work as the past had proven positive in all aspects. To cut a long story short I had him do a really important job for us that was going into awards, oh and the client was fastidious to say the least. The job was sloppy so I  spoke to Brian and said " mate what happened?"  Brian's answer was " I'm really sorry Andrew, I have been doing this for so long I am just over it". "I plan on retiring in the next couple of years and I just need to get more done in less time". This analogy is along similar lines to what we you are experiencing. Needless to say Brian has not done another job for us since. 

When it comes to software it is not as easy to change companies as it is ceramic tilers and like you I needed a piece of software that I could use to cover my business. I personally hit a brick wall and my reaction was to create my own software. Well not entirely I actually employed 3 software developers to create a plugin that turned Sketchup from a  conceptual based program to a tool that we could use for faster more accurate design and quantification (BIM). I now run the company and just released version 1, I have another 50 years in this business and complacency is a long way away. Ill put it in my calendar to step down in 40 years so history does not keep repeating itself.

So in short I have a fantastic easy to use piece of software that is inexpensive, very powerful and my company listens to its audience. If you want to find out more feel free to Google PlusSpec . We have online tutorials that eliminate most or all of the training costs. We have product support and a community of users is now starting to grow. I hope see you in that community and help you out where I can. 

Kind Regards Andrew Dwight

-------------------------------------------
    Andrew Dwight
    BIM manager/ software developer,
    Designer/ Builder
    RubySketch- PlusSpec
    Sydney Australia.

• 2.  RE:How often do you really benefit from upgrading Autodesk.....

Posted 04-24-2014 06:49 PM

You are confusing apples with oranges. Large, successful software companies have no intention of retiring any time soon. In fact, all their business plans include growth for the long haul. They are not producing inferior products, either. Most are at the leading edge of their businesses, and they know that sloppy software converts to loss of business.

So, your attempt at a comparison just isn't there.
    Charles Graham AIA
    Architect
    O'Neal, Inc.
    Greenville SC

• 3.  RE:How often do you really benefit from upgrading Autodesk.....

Posted 04-25-2014 08:18 PM
    Maybe I didn't make the point clearly enough yet apples and oranges is way off. 
    The point being once a company gets to a certain size or stage in their life cycle they become complacent about individual users. Many become driven by the investors and the bottom line is all that really matters. Smaller companies work harder for the individuals and users become part of the company. It is difficult for large companies to do this as the user base is diverse. I know I will never change the die hard Revit users or Archicad users to PlusSpec and I do not intend to. On the other hand the disgruntled user now have another option and it is a powerful affordable option. Many miss alternative solutions as they are wrestling with their current solution.....
    Thanks for the reply Charles

Andrew Dwight
    BIM manager
    RubySketch
    Sydney

• 4.  RE:How often do you really benefit from upgrading Autodesk.....

Posted 04-28-2014 07:00 PM
    Is that so? How, then, do you explain AUGI, one of the largest user groups in the world?

Charles Graham AIA
    Architect
    O'Neal, Inc.
    Greenville SC