Regional and Urban Design Committee

• 1.  RE:Urban Design for All

Posted 09-26-2011 02:34 PM

I don't usually jump into these discussions - but as an architect, ex-wife of an architect (twice actually) and a mother I feel compelled to interrupt this debate. Like too many issues, we end up arguing from two sides as if one should be the 'winner' when in fact all have an appropriate place and time. As a mother I have faced these debates on breastfeeding vs. bottles, cloth diapers vs. disposables, staying at home vs. nannies vs. daycare. And like most people, I can check the "all of the above" box.  So maybe we can stop debating 'which' and start considering 'why' and 'where' and 'when' and even 'how' we provide appropriate, functional, high quality environments to better accommodate the full range of lifestyles which make up our communities.  

When we had our first child we lived in a loft in mid-town Manhattan - let me tell you, NYC looks a lot different when you are pushing a stroller.  Manhattan is very walkable, but not so 'rollable' (as groups advocating for wheelchair accessibility can tell you).  Much of what I loved about the City was now off-limits or presented a major challenge.  Many of our friends were starting families and while a few stayed in Manhattan, most moved to more family-friendly environments. 

When we chose to move to Minneapolis rather than the New Jersey suburbs, we debated the merits of a loft downtown or a house further out. Yes, as the mother and wife (and architect) I won that argument and we did not move into another loft.  As it turns out, we were able to live two blocks from the bus, in a very traditional house with a backyard and a big front porch and still be in the city - less than 6 miles from the heart of downtown.  But not many cities offer high quality housing in safe neighborhoods with good schools, good transit and a network of bike trails and open space that gave our city-life all the benefits traditionally ascribed to the suburbs.  Our children grew up with the unique experience of walking across the street to buy a candy bar and a comic book at the small corner market (which actually had no parking lot, just on street parallel parking); they took the bus to get to their summer theater program downtown; and today they still prefer transit over driving (only 1 of the three has gotten a driver's license).

So now with my children out of the nest, did I move back into downtown?  Actually, no.  When I was laid off I followed job prospects to the Phoenix area, where the mix of urban-suburban-rural is even more of a patchwork quilt than most places. So I live in an old west horse town with three horses and a dog - and I hate the suburban sprawl that has overrun this formerly rural community.  I have a very small car and work from home half-time (and I've found other moms with horse trailers and trucks when I need one).  Now instead of working on transit-oriented development, I am advocating for preservation of open space and multi-use trails. But I know that denser development downtown, and smarter, more compact and walkable development in suburban neighborhoods will help preserve our agricultural areas, which will make buying local produce (and hay) much easier...... see how it's all connected?  I'm guessing that when I'm too old for riding, I'll be looking for a senior apartment in an affordable, walkable community - coming full circle.

Gary, I agree that we need to focus on 'improved' (might not be so new...) cities and suburbs.  . But when we design our communities to better meet people's needs - real needs, like getting groceries home, safely getting three kids back and forth to school, access to safe outdoor play space, etc. - then we won't have a problem convincing people to live in these communities. There are good examples everywhere - Portland, Denver, even Minneapolis.  We have to keep fighting the good fight to get builders, developers, financiers, city planners and transportation engineers, even politicians on board - it's not easy but nothing worthwhile ever is.  So let's not waste energy fueling the angry 'city vs. the suburb' diatribes.  It's a red herring, a distraction at best.  Let's keep talking about how to make them all better!

-------------------------------------------
    Carolyn Krall AIA
    Senior Associate
    Ayers/Saint/Gross Architects & Planners
    Gilbert AZ
    -------------------------------------------

24.04.30 RUDC AIAU