Academy of Architecture for Health

• 1.  Latching of Linear Accelerator Doors?

Posted 05-16-2014 05:46 PM
    Hello,
    It appears that a vendor for Linear Accelerator doors, Veritas, does not have any capacity to latch the door closed.  Adding a latch, even would void the warranty. Our regulators, however, point out that a corridor door requires a positive latch.  Does anyone else face this issue, and how have you dealt with it?

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Lewis AIA
    Manager, Architectural Services
    University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Services
    Ann Arbor MI

• 2.  RE: Latching of Linear Accelerator Doors?

Posted 05-19-2014 05:31 PM
    The linac vault should not be on a corridor.  Your might look at creating a suite to eliminate the corridor requirement.  Be mindful to not label the passageway outside the vault a corridor as this is a term defined in codes and therefore must comply with those requirements.  A suite should eliminate the corridor issue.

Kerry Hogue AIA
    HKS, Inc.
    Dallas TX

• 3.  RE: Latching of Linear Accelerator Doors?

Posted 05-19-2014 06:44 PM
    Is it possible for you to add a vestibule between the corridor and the linear accelerator door?

Donald

Donald Henke AIA
    Senior Architect
    Jacobs
    Plano TX

• 4.  RE: Latching of Linear Accelerator Doors?

Posted 05-19-2014 07:46 PM
    I have done a few accelerators but always as part of a suite and not rated.  I may have different suggestions based on who is making the comment (plan checker, inspector, fire marshall, etc.).  I will assume the comment is from a plan checker for now.

I personally would respond to the plan checker with something to the effect of:

The purpose of latching is that the door is restrained from opening under the pressure created by a fire.  Given the weight of the door and that it is held closed mechanically by a motor, you are complying with the intent of the code.

You may have a second problem that has not come up yet.  That is the rating of the door & frame.  If the manufacture does not have positive latching they may not have a label on the door and frame.

If the simple response to the comment does not work I think I would try to get an "engineering equivalency" or an "alternate means of compliance" if either of these are accepted in Michigan. You will need them for both the door and the latch.  I am assuming you can apply a smoke seal if needed.

The arguments for equivalency are:
    20 minute door:  The concrete (or lead lined) door obviously is capable of withstanding the 20 minutes needed for it's rating.
    Positive latching:  The purpose of latching is that the door is restrained from opening under the pressure created by a fire.  Given the weight of the door and that it is held closed mechanically by a motor, you are complying with the intent of the code.

Engineering judgements or equivalency come from testing companies like UL or Warnock Hersey.  Warnock Hersey has relabeled hundreds of doors and/or frames for me over the years.  Some of those "relabeling" were for stainless steel frames that were never tested but allowed to be installed in the 50's because they were obviously compliant.  That is analogous to your situation so you may want to give them a call.

Good luck!

Mark Paone AIA
    Principal
    Mark J. Paone, AIA Architect
    Orange CA

• 5.  RE: Latching of Linear Accelerator Doors?

Posted 05-21-2014 02:12 PM
    As others have mentioned, typically linacc, or other heavily shielded therapy vaults are internal to a suite. Once and a while though, that is not the case. We've seen this on a few occasions and the solution is to use a mag lock at the door head. If you canvas the various vendors, you should come across this in their experience base as well. Being electronic, the mag lock can interface with alarm systems and vault control systems as appropriate and typically be inactive. Any other locking system that physically secures the door will be problematic and potentially burn out the very expensive auto operator these doors require if inadvertently latched when door is operated.

Good luck.

Thomas Witte, AIA
    Vice President | Principal
    Science Technology Health
    Zimmerman Architectural Studios, Inc.
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

• 6.  RE: Latching of Linear Accelerator Doors?

Posted 07-12-2014 03:05 AM
    Edited by Jeff Homes 11-18-2020 06:11 AM

jeff homes
    LUX Construction group - Soft story retrofitting los Angeles

• 7.  RE: Latching of Linear Accelerator Doors?

Posted 07-16-2014 10:22 AM
    Thank you, good idea if the AHJ will approve!  With the 2012 NFPA 101, I believe I will be able to create suites to avoid this issue completely.

Heather Lewis AIA
    Manager, Architectural Services
    University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Services
    Ann Arbor MI