Practice Management Member Conversations

• 1.  B-105 "Design" Definition

Posted 04-22-2014 04:41 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Practice Management Member Conversations and Small Project Practitioners .
    -------------------------------------------
    Hello,

The question I have is about the sentence in B105, Article 1: "The architect shall develop a design." The question in my mind is whether "a design" refers to what we understand as Schematic Design or whether it refers to what we understand as Design Development or whether it refers to something else.

To determine the applicable standard of care normally requires litigation and a decision by the adjudicating body. Since the AIA has written this contract, honestly, I think the AIA is passing the buck to require me to litigate a contract in order to establish the definition of this key word. Can anyone provide clarification of what this term means?

This will allow me to know how much to bill my client for a job that has stopped at the conclusion of Schematic Design. Do I bill for all of "the design" or do I bill for only part of "the design"?

Jonathan Lipman AIA
    Jonathan Lipman, AIA & Associates
    Fairfield IA