This White Paper:
- Describes differences in functional abilities of frail older adults in Assisted Living and Nursing Homes with ambulatory needs that necessitate an addendum to the ADA and ANSI A117.1
- Summarizes the evidence base for changes to ADA and ANSI A117.1 to define what we know and what we don’t know
- Identifies specific requirements in both the ADA and ANSI A117.1 related to toileting and bathing that are and are not supportive of older adults, specifically in Nursing Homes and Assisted Living communities
- Recommends additions and modifications to the guidelines/standards based on what we know from existing data that are intended to broaden the range of accessible designs for Nursing Home and Assisted Living communities
- Recommends further research where sufficient evidence does not exist.