Practice Management Member Conversations

View Only

Community HTML

Clouds

Quick Links

Who we are

The Practice Management Knowledge Community (PMKC) identifies and develops information on the business of architecture for use by the profession to maintain and improve the quality of the professional and business environment.  The PMKC initiates programs, provides content and serves as a resource to other knowledge communities, and acts as experts on AIA Institute programs and policies that pertain to a wide variety of business practices and trends.

• 1.  Apprenticeship

Posted 05-28-2022 04:05 PM

To the previous discussion I might add that ideally preparation for an architectural career should include working in construction. Thereby one learns the language of construction, how parts and pieces of buildings go together, the logistics of construction, and dealing with site limitations.  In summary, what it takes to produce a buildable set of construction documents and to gain the respect of the builders who will bring the project to completion.

DFT/Mika

• 2.  RE: Apprenticeship

Posted 05-30-2022 08:32 PM
    I have to wholeheartedly agree with the idea that construction experience is a benefit to and should be a part of preparation for an Architectural career. I graduated with a Masters in 1977, and a portion of the requirement for graduation was some number of hours of experience. Due to the '77 recession, I was not able to complete my requirement with an Architectural firm but was able to negotiate 1/2 credit for hours worked in construction. That experience doing shop drawings for the early cold-rolled load-bearing metal stud systems to panelize the exterior of the new Duke North Hospital wing, and on the construction of three-story condominium units utilizing the stud systems, along with managing the erection crew during construction of the units taught me the importance of knowing how to put a design together in a constructable manner, and has served me well during a long on-going career.

------------------------------
    Richard Shulby, AIA LEED AP BD+C
    Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson
    Harrisburg, NC

• 3.  RE: Apprenticeship

Posted 05-31-2022 08:06 AM
    Licensed architects are responsible to society for health, welfare and safety of occupants and users of the building we design.  A formal architectural education whether it is a 5-year BA or Master's is supposed to introduce us to architectural design and technology and an internship is supposed to train us for the taking a rigorous regiment of exams to demonstrate a minimum knowledge to lead to licensure in the architecture profession. 

The current approach to an architectural education is broken.  It cost too much - and that is a separate subject.

The current approach to architectural licensure is good but does need some modernization.  

Other profession like architects that must address health, welfare and safety every day is the medical profession and structural engineering. Would you want your doctor or structural engineer not to have to go through a formal education,  internship and licensing exam?

Michael Katzin, AIA | Johns Creek Planning Commission
    Michael Katzin Project Services, LLC
    Johns Creek, GA

• 4.  RE: Apprenticeship

Posted 06-01-2022 06:22 PM
    A highly experienced, and college trained, but unlicensed "architect" friend of mine recently gifted me the book "101 Things I Learned in Architecture School" by Matthew Frederick.  Being 41 years post-graduate, it illuminated the thinking processes and lessons-learnt I believed innate, but actually learned in architecture school.  These are rarely discussed in offices. So albeit they have little to do with the health, safety, and welfare of the public, they are critical for an architect to know and implement in their designs.

Donald Koppy AIA, CSI, CCS, NCARB
    Mead & Hunt
    Tampa FL