Virtual Design + Construction: The Future of Project Delivery
Sponsored by the Project Delivery Knowledge Community (PDKC), this course offers 1 AIA LU credit.
Virtual Design + Construction, or VDC creates an environment where design and construction are seamless, enabling limitless possibilities. VDC is a proven delivery method that utilizes a combination of people, process, and technology. By bringing together the design team, construction managers, and subcontractors early in the planning phase, VDC uses the power of intelligent collaboration to design and build to your client’s goals and objectives.
After participating, attendees will understand how:
- The presenter will demonstrate to attendees the application of Virtual Design and Construction as a Collaborative Project Delivery method benefiting a broad array of building typologies.
- The seminar will teach attendees how to apply instant access tools and real time data in the project The dashboard links industry-leading tools such as global issues, quick views, design evolution and BIM federated models resulting in an elevated role for the Architect in project delivery.
- The seminar will demonstrate that the utilization of VDC implies an unprecedented level of Leveraging the Model First Approach method, VDC offers the opportunity of tailoring a project delivery based on programmatic needs, schedules requirements and financial goals through Execution Success Planning (ESP), Conditions of Satisfaction (CoS) and BIM Execution Plans (BIMxP).
- Attendees will learn how to apply VDC in order to bridge the gap between design and construction through Co-location. An innovative method that breaks down traditional silos and unifies team members (including architects, engineers, consultants, construction managers, major subcontractorsand suppliers) together in a single virtual or physical location.
- By applying VDC and advanced modeling technologies, such as Virtual Reality (VR) and Digital Twin, the attendees will learn how to save clients time and money by expediting decision making and reducing the time it takes to commence and complete
- Attendees will gain knowledge on how to develop VDC tools to enhance communication with the construction manager, consultants and subcontractors, manage global issues, monitor schedules, expedite decisions, improve processing of submittals, achieve zero-waste and other benefits to bring value to clients.
- The seminar will explain the new roles and responsibilities for Architects to lead and collaborate with all project stakeholders throughout an innovative project delivery process. Attendees will learn how the application of VDC technology and operations influences the integration of AEC professional performance through cluster teams that enhance cross functional teaming; transforming professional.
- The seminar will reveal how VDC is able to increase predictability, lower risks, preserve the initial design intent and achieve cost certainty on project
This course is geared towards partners, principals, associates, project managers, project architects, project designers and other technical personnel who have client, developer, and owner contact or project responsibilities.
An eminent figure in the architectural profession, Al is widely recognized as the creative force behind SGA’s success. Since establishing the firm in 1991, he has led its efforts to balance design excellence with responsible pragmatism, enhance the public realm, apply the latest technological advances and promote environmental conservation. As president and founding partner, Al oversees the direction of SGA, supervises new business development, and serves as the partner in charge for complex commissions in life sciences, higher education and large-scale mixed use markets. Under his leadership, the firm has grown significantly. Key milestones include the creation of a Virtual Design and Construction practice, which was a factor in Fast Company’s inclusion of SGA in its 2018 list of the Most Innovative Companies.
When Fast Company selected SGA as one of the Most Innovative Companies in 2018, the publication identified the firm’s capabilities in Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) as a key differentiator in scheduling and cost certainty. Michael played an instrumental role in attaining this honor; He has led the growth and development of the discipline since 2014.VDC is an ideal fit for Michael, who loves to discover and invent new technologies that enhance project outcomes. At the beginning of every commission, he on boards the project team and hosts an Execution Success Planning session, during which participants determine the most effective methods of delivery. Other pillars of his methodology include co-location of the development, design, and construction partners; bespoke project dashboards; and a variety of team building initiatives.
Giuseppe brings an extensive background in engineering to SGA’s flourishing VDC practice. Using proprietary applications, he performs the critical roles of development engineer and energy modeler on projects in the higher education, commercial, and mixed-use markets. Giuseppe joined SGA in 2019 providing ample opportunities for him to hone his skills and pioneer new technologies. Previously, he served for several years as a teaching assistant at Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts, where he received a Master of Science in civil engineering. A licensed professional engineer in Italy, Giuseppe also holds a Master of Science in architectural engineering and a PhD in management engineering from the Polytechnic Institute of Bari.Moderator
Kristen O’Gorman, NCARB, LEED GA
Kristen leads some of SGA’s most influential and transformative projects. She plays a significant role in every stage of a commission, from site planning to entitlements and from conceptual design to construction. Since joining SGA in 2011, Kristen has contributed substantially to the firm’s rapid growth by developing designs for prominent commissions in the commercial, life sciences and higher education markets. She particularly enjoys rehabilitating old or under-utilized buildings through adaptive reuse. She also welcomes opportunities to apply new technologies to her work, and accordingly has supported the use of innovative project delivery methods, such as Virtual Design and Construction.