The AIA is seeking nominations of members interested in serving on national committees. Express interest in joining the SFx regional representatives or in representing small firms on over a dozen national committees. Self-nominations deadline October 4th. See the full SFx position description below:
AIA Small Firm Exchange
The mission of the AIA Small Firm Exchange (SFx) (a national AIA member group) is to advance the mutual interests of architects practicing in small firms. The objectives of the AIA SFx are three-fold:
- Advocate for small firms within the AIA and in outside organizations and agencies.
- Promote leadership in Small Firm professional development and practice; and
- Facilitate and support the local component round tables and small firm networks.
Duties and Expectations
- Facilitate one small-firm-informative article per year for the SFx newsletter
- Introduce yourself to each component in your region; use “announcement” and/or another approach
- Outreach to each component in region at least once per year (preferably quarterly using SFx reports)
- Attend regional conference and meetings; ask for speaking time; share and collect information
- Attend SFx Annual Meeting, usually in February
- Volunteer for at least one (no more than two) Workgroup or special project per year
- Volunteer as a national conference session organizer or peer reviewer, or assist with SFx activities at the national conference each year
- Attend monthly calls for 1) your SFx Workgroup(s) and/or SFx Special Project 2) the SFx All-Call
- Deliver on Workgroup and special projects as agreed on conference calls in a timely manner
- Actively contribute during your three-year term, with an optional one-year extension.
- Seek your regional representative replacement in final year of term
- Passion to support our professional community, especially the needs of small firms
- 6 - 12 hours per month including conference calls and personal tasks
- Time off to travel to SFx Annual Meeting: 2-days, travel-funded
Term: Three-year term with an optional one year extension.
- Regional Representatives (19)
- Workgroup / vice-chairs
- CRAN Liaison
- SPD Liaison
The Small Firm Exchange is led by a chairperson. A chairperson-elect is selected during the course of the year. Workgroups are formed each year at the Annual Meeting and led by chairs or co-chairs.
- Representatives may be required to sign non-disclosure agreement for access to sensitive projects.
- All representatives of SFx to sign annually a Conflict of Interest Disclosure Form.
- SFx relation to AIA Board of Directors: through the Board Advocacy Committee (Prosperity Portfolio)
- Past participation in AIA events: Conference; Knowledge Leadership Assembly
Complete the online form. It requires a letter of interest with professional reference and resume. Submissions are due October 4th, 2019. If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.