2021 Call for Nominations for SPD Leadership Group
Information and Expectations
The AIA Knowledge Communities are volunteer member-led special interest groups of the AIA national organization. They help members to connect with others who share the same passions and commitment—and develop projects that advance the profession and the collective work of the AIA.
As an AIA Knowledge Community, Small Project Design supports, celebrates, and promotes small projects by engaging designers and the public. We encourage all members to participate by serving on a project subcommittee or by applying to serve on the national advisory group (AG).
The SPD leadership is usually comprised of at least five members who serve for up to five years, with support from project-based committees and part-time AIA staff. We are currently seeking statements of qualifications from individuals who have demonstrated leadership in small project design. We currently have one (1) open position that would begin in January 2021 and end December 2025, and are seeking additional volunteers that would be interested in supporting SPD projects. Current applicants may be considered for future nominations cycles.
The SPD leadership works to fulfill our mission and deliver meaningful content to the 11,000 members of the community in several areas:
- Emails: Emails are sent to our members at regular intervals to provide them with news of interest, including SPD updates.
- Small Project Awards (annual): celebrate and promote small projects and they are of great benefit to our members who win the awards.
- Small Project Annual Review (annual): a beautiful publication that celebrates small projects and the role of small projects in both young and established firms.
- Small Project Grant: support design fees paid by non-profits for the design of a small project by a qualified architect.
- Pop-up Competition: Design competition to produce a pop-up small project - in past years, awardee has been funded to build and ship the project to the AIA Conference on Architecture.
Duties and Expectations
- Participate in one-hour monthly conference call
- Champion one of the primary initiatives and programs (and any associated project conference calls) - Projects are assigned by tenure on a rotating schedule.
- Attend, if possible, AIA Conference on Architecture each spring. Usually not reimbursed. May be virtual in 2021.
- SPD traditionally hosts a forum, a credit-bearing session on the awards program, and a reception during Conference.
- Attend annual three-day AIA Knowledge Leadership Assembly, usually in August. Partially reimbursed. May be virtual in 2021.
- What is this? KLA provides an opportunity for knowledge community leaders, the Board Knowledge Committee, and AIA staff to network, share knowledge and best practices, and build coalitions. This is the most critical meeting to attend.
- Attend the annual leadership retreat, usually in January/February.
- Letter of interest, including a vision of what would you like to accomplish during your appointment
- Resume with:
- Professional accomplishments including volunteer activities.
- Skills - leadership, organizational, speaking as well as your position and duties in your firm; what are the particular skills that you would bring to the committee that complement the existing leadership.
- Letter of commitment from a leader in your firm that demonstrates your firm’s commitment to supporting your involvement.
The American Institute of Architects actively promotes a diverse profession, including race, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or sexual orientation. SPD strives to be an inclusive Knowledge Community representing diversity of thought, geographic diversity, both traditional and non-traditional practice and as well as providing opportunities for seasoned professionals, associate members and young architects.
Please submit the above information via this online form by 5pm ET on January 18, 2021.
Questions? Contact Emma Tucker at email@example.com.