Call for Abstract Submissions - Design for Climate Action: Intersections Symposium
Submit your research and/or project abstract which addresses DESIGN FOR CLIMATE ACTION for AIA Intersections Symposium at A'20. Deadline to submit – Sept. 25, 2019.
May 14-16, 2020 | Los Angeles @ A'20 Conference on Architecture
Co-Chairs: Phoebe Crisman, AIA, University of Virginia
Kyle Konis, AIA, University of Southern California
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) and the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA) are pleased to return with this partnership dedicated to the INTERSECTION of Education, Research and Practice.
The symposium will explore Design for Climate Action from multiple, intertwined perspectives. In support of the recent AIA Resolution for Urgent and Sustained Climate Action, we encourage submissions of research and projects that explore intersections between the following questions and that address climate change across scales—from building, to community, to the planet.
- How are specific issues of climate justice and environmental equity being identified, prioritized and addressed through design, architectural research, education, practice and advocacy?
- What innovative economic models and practices might transform decision-making and hasten the decarbonization of the built environment?
- How can the imperative for Climate Action be translated and scaled from the production of relatively few, singular works of sustainable architecture to evidence-based processes for achieving climate goals across virtually all buildings, landscapes and infrastructure?
- What new theories, research, tools, technologies, processes, and collaborations are needed to educate and support architects in designing and implementing effective interventions?
- How can architects help foster and realize community-based visions of equitable development and climate responsive design?