Emerging professional scholars-Crossing Borders: Community Focused Justice Intervention
Crossing Borders: Community Focused Justice Interventions
October 23-26, 2019 | THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, CA
We are looking for emerging professional scholars to participate in the conference’s ambition to challenge the status quo. We hope you will apply and consider joining us for four days of engaging panel discussions and networking opportunities with over 200 justice architects and allied professionals.
AIA and Associate AIA members who meet the criteria for AAJ Emerging Professional status* are invited to submit an application.
*AAJ Emerging Professional status is defined as an architect, architectural associate or planner with < 1-10 years working in the justice architecture sector.
In exchange for financial support to attend the conference, scholars collaborate with the AAJ to complete the following three tasks:
- Before the conference, recipients will develop a pre-conference "knowledge" piece, which will be uploaded to AAJ homepage. Scholarship recipients will select conference sessions of interest and will work directly with speakers to capture and share that knowledge. (Session speakers have already agreed to provide a variety of content on their topics.)
- Examples of knowledge pieces include, but not limited to:
During the conference, recipients will post images and text on the AAJ discussion forum and AAJ Social Media outlets to share discussions of interest and spark conversations.
After conference, recipients will post of summary of/reflection on their experience at the conference and post to the AAJ homepage
- Written articles
- Co-authored blog post
Application Deadline and Submission Requirements
The online application requires:
- a 200-word letter of interest introducing yourself and describing why you would like to be a Scholar
- a current one-page resume
- a letter of recommendation (preferably from and AIA or Associate AIA Member or supervisor)
All scholarship recipients will receive complimentary conference registration, a four-night hotel stay for the conference and round-trip domestic (US) economy based airfare.
The application deadline is 11:59pm on September 27, 2019.
All applicants will receive an automated email confirmation of their scholarship application. If you do not receive an email confirmation, contact Bruce Bland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selection committee will review and communicate a decision by October 2, 2019.
Questions? Contact the AIA at email@example.com or 202-626-7557.