Academy of Architecture for Health

View Only

Community HTML

AAH Banner Story

Quick Links

Who we are

The Academy of Architecture for Health (AAH) provides knowledge which supports the design of healthy environments by creating education and networking opportunities for members of – and those touched by – the health care architectural profession.

View the AAH organization chart and strategy documents >

COVID-19 resources for health care design

You can contribute information to the AIA COVID-19 project database, and view all submitted projects. Visit the Alternative Care Sites preparedness site to learn important areas to evaluate when selecting ACSs for the care and treatment of COVID-19 or surge capacity patients.

Explore additional resources for health care facilities >

Join us on 7/12/2022 on Case Study: Designing a place of hope: The Joan and Sanford I. Weill Neurosciences Building at UCSF Mission Bay

• 1.  Join us on 7/12/2022 on Case Study: Designing a place of hope: The Joan and Sanford I. Weill Neurosciences Building at UCSF Mission Bay

Posted 06-30-2022 04:40 PM

Earn 1 AIA LU/HSW | Tuesday, July12, 2022 | 2-3 pm ET

Description

This presentation will reference the recently completed Sanford I. Weill Neurosciences building as a case study for communicating design concepts that include translating the client's vision into design, development of the design in an IPD big room setting, clinical and lab planning for a neuroscience facility, and designing for seismic resiliency while supporting the project's goals. 

The Joan and Sanford I. Weill Neurosciences Building will serve as headquarters for the UCSF Weill Institute for Neurosciences, uniting departments of neurology, psychiatry and behavioral sciences, and neurological surgery. It will promote collaboration, bringing together multi-departmental clinics and clinical research centers along with dedicated laboratories, and computational research. A cross-disciplinary hub, the building will drive advances aimed at new treatments for disorders of the brain and nervous system while providing expert and compassionate care for patients. 

This high-performing and complex building includes 68,000 sf Wet Research, 70,000 sf Dry Research, 60,000 sf Clinical Space, two 3T MRIs, and 15,000 sf of Shared/Support Program. The 282,900 sf Joan and Sanford I. Weill Neurosciences Building opened in the summer of 2021 at UCSF's Mission Bay Campus.

Hosted by the AIA Academy of Architecture for Health an AIA Knowledge Community.

Learning objectives

• Translate donor and university vision into an elegant and welcoming place of hope
    • Execute design within an IPD approach and for an academic client with a complex group of stakeholders
    • Integrate a clinical plan for dignity and for patients with all neurological conditions
    • Plan facilities for neuroscience research
    • Design for seismic resilience

Speakers

Paul Davison

RIBA
    Senior Associate | Mark Cavagnero Associates

Suzanne Napier

FAIA
    Vice President | SmithGroup

Ray Pugliesi

SE
    Senior Principal | Degenkolb