Practice Management Member Conversations

View Only

Community HTML

Clouds

Quick Links

Who we are

The Practice Management Knowledge Community (PMKC) identifies and develops information on the business of architecture for use by the profession to maintain and improve the quality of the professional and business environment.  The PMKC initiates programs, provides content and serves as a resource to other knowledge communities, and acts as experts on AIA Institute programs and policies that pertain to a wide variety of business practices and trends.

"AI's Impact on Architecture" Session, Part of the Project Delivery March 2023 Symposium

• 1.  "AI's Impact on Architecture" Session, Part of the Project Delivery March 2023 Symposium

Posted 03-09-2023 05:02 PM

I highly recommend this great session if you can get to it on the AIAU platform!

I've been obsessively reading Phil Bernstein's fantastic volume, Machine Learning: Architecture in the Age of Artificial Intelligence, which they reference at the end of the Project Delivery session. I'm preparing an interview I did with Phil late in 2022 for the May edition of PM Digest, where he talked about our need to approach AI in ways we haven't with other technological developments in the field. 

If you'd like to advance your understanding of the history, complexities, and potential of AI in our profession and on how we create, manage, and deliver architecture, Phil's book is a great place to start. The insight of this panel added a new layer of perspective (rather than me just hunkered down with the book, a pile of post-its, and a pencil or picking up insight from news and other media).

Will we all be ready to take advantage of all AI promises the architectural process? I'm hoping so, but that takes all of us getting savvy on what AI is and what it means for our profession and, ultimately, clients. Has anyone else read Phil's book or attended the session? I'd love to hear from you and get more thoughts on the path forward for AI in architecture.

------------------------------
    Rebecca W.E. Edmunds AIA
    President, Communicate Design
    Roanoke VA
    ------------------------------