Small Project Design

View Only

Community HTML

BI(h)OME (by Kevin Daly Architects)

Quick Links

Who we are

AIA Small Project Design (SPD) Knowledge Community supports, celebrates, and promotes small projects by engaging designers and the public.

• 1.  2030 Commitment

Posted 12-07-2022 05:45 PM
    I have signed on to the 2030 Commitment and wondering if other sole practitioners have experience and insight to share. And related question is about what energy modeling software people would recommend for small projects.

------------------------------
    Lisa Rigazio AIA
    Rigazio Designs, LLC
    Silver Spring MD

• 2.  RE: 2030 Commitment

Posted 12-08-2022 05:35 PM
    Lisa,
    Congratulations on becoming a signatory to the AIA 2030 Challenge! AIA California, in partnership with aecKnowledge (of which I founded - disclosure), has a set of on-demand ZNCD courses, some of which discuss energy modeling software.
    You can access these courses, free courtesy of AIA California, at AIA California On-Demand ZNCD Courses

Michael Strogoff, FAIA
    Strategic Advisor
    Chair Emeritus, PMKC Advisory Group
    Strogoff Consulting
    Mill Valley, CA 94941

• 3.  RE: 2030 Commitment

Posted 12-08-2022 11:25 PM
    Cove Tools is amazing. It also has 2030 reporting.

Aaron Pilat
    Norman, OK

• 4.  RE: 2030 Commitment

Posted 12-09-2022 07:39 AM
    I will not sign on to 2030. I look at it like the electric cars. Trying to solve an issue with a product that is not economical on any level. Initial manufacturing, use or replacement.

JOHN A. FEICK, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP 
    224 East Water Street 
    Sandusky, Ohio 44870 
    419-625-2554 (w) 
    419-656-3017 (c)

• 5.  RE: 2030 Commitment

Posted 12-09-2022 09:15 AM

Hi John,

I'm not sure I understand your comment.  The 2030 Commitment is a reporting tool.  It is used to figure out where you currently are at with your projects, and make incremental progress on energy efficient design.  It's not about signing on and trying to hit the 80% target right off the bat.  No one can do that.  Instead, you see where your projects are by bringing awareness to that, and then starting to see what makes sense for you and your clients to move that needle forward.  It will take time to figure out what works best for how you work, the projects you work on and your clients. 

Regarding EV's, you can get a new EV that is now essentially the same price as any new car, it's faster (way faster!), much less expensive to fuel, essentially zero maintenance (I've had three EV's for 10 1/2 years now with almost zero cost to maintain them), much lower carbon footprint and way quieter.  I know I'm missing something here, but I don't get why anyone would own an ICE car.  The whole range thing is blown out of proportion - I've driven my car from Chicago to Boulder and back twice, up to upper Wisconsin several times and to North Carolina, without any issues and it costing way less than gas. 

Both the 2030 Commitment and the movement that it represents, and EV's, are clearly the way we need to move in the very near future, i.e. now.  We need to decarbonize buildings and cars, and do that as fast as possible.  

John, I was on the original 2030 Commitment Working Group starting 2009 and was the national co-chair from 2018-19.  I am now about to start a term on the national executive committee for the Small Firm Exchange.  Your viewpoint as a small practitioner is good to hear as we need to address that.  If you ever want to talk about this to whatever level you want, please call me at 847 864-9650.  I'd be happy to hear your concerns and have a good conversation about that.  

Nate Kipnis, FAIA

Nathan Kipnis FAIA
    Kipnis Architecture + Planning
    Evanston IL