Small Project Design

Community HTML

BI(h)OME (by Kevin Daly Architects)

Quick Links

Who we are

AIA Small Project Design (SPD) Knowledge Community supports, celebrates, and promotes small projects by engaging designers and the public.

Expand all | Collapse all

Multi State Registrations - Corporation type (PC/LLC/PLLC etc)

  • 1.  Multi State Registrations - Corporation type (PC/LLC/PLLC etc)

    Posted 08-19-2019 07:40 PM
    Anyone have recent experience or insight as to the easiest way to setup COA's in multiple states without having to convert your current firm corporate structure from an LLC to a PC or PLLC? Buying a firm that does work in 15-20 states, going through NCARB to get my licenses set up and finding no consistency between states as to LLC, PLLC, PC etc.
    Thanks in advance.

    Robert Zappulla AIA
    ARCLINE studio
    Roswell GA

  • 2.  RE: Multi State Registrations - Corporation type (PC/LLC/PLLC etc)

    Posted 10-20-2019 12:36 PM
    Obviously I can't answer your question for 12-20 states. However, we do work in 2 states, and I'm licensed in 4 states. We are a PC in Rhode Island and a foreign corp in MA. We don't do work in the other two states I'm licensed in.

    Many, but not all, states require you to be both licensed, AND have some sort of license or Certificate of Authorization for your architecture business. This is enough if you are a sole prop. Most states want you to be a "foreign corp" so they can get tax dollars out of you. You'll need to talk to a lawyer about your complex situation. I've gotten all kinds of random advice, some even from lawyers. Some say "just be a corp in your home state and don't worry about other states". Others say "you are doing the work in the state, so you have to follow their rules".

    In my situation, about 70% of our business is out of state - in MA - so I think it's worth it to cuddle up to MA, and obviously we are a corp in RI, our home state.

    David Sisson AIA
    David Sisson
    Providence RI