October 29-31, 2017 | Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza—Cincinnati
The AIA Academy of Architecture for Justice invites emerging professionals to apply as Scholars for our fall conference held October 29-31 in Cincinnati. Through the theme of this year's conference, Interdisciplinary Justice, we aim to provide a forum for provocative discussions on ideas that promote constructive change, inspire, and actively position the next generation of justice architects to lead the conversation.
We are looking for emerging professional scholars to participate in the conference’s ambition to challenge the status quo. We hope you will apply and consider joining us for three days of engaging panel discussions and networking opportunities with over 200 justice architects and allied professionals. View the Schedule at a Glance for more details.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis – please apply today!
Emerging professionals who have been in the field of justice architecture for 0-10 years, AIA Young Architects (licensed less than 10 years), Associate AIA members, AIAS members, full time faculty and full time students (with valid ID) are invited to submit an application.
In exchange for financial support to attend the conference, scholars collaborate with the AAJ to:
- Complete three pre-conference knowledge pieces to share with our 80,000 members on our social network called AIA KnowledgeNet. Session speakers have already agreed to provide a variety of content on their topics. Scholarship recipients select sessions of interest and work directly with the speakers to capture and share that knowledge.
- Post content (text, images, video, etc.) during the conference on the AIA KnowledgeNet's discussion forum, blog and LinkedIn account to share resources of interest and expand the dialogue.
- Post a final knowledge piece reflecting on the conference and Scholar experience after the event.
Application Deadline and Submission Requirements
The online application requires:
- a 200-word letter of interest introducing yourself and describing why you would like to be a Scholar;
- a current one-page resume;
- a 200-word proposal for a knowledge piece related to the 2017 conference theme (see knowledge pieces from previous years, be creative, have fun!);
- a letter of support from your firm or school;
- a proposed travel budget.
The travel expenses will be covered based on expressed need and available funds. Applicants are encouraged to use this scholarship as matching funds from your firm, your school, AIA chapters, etc. Applications are reviewed and funds awarded on a rolling basis with a hard deadline of 11:59pm on September 28, 2017
Tips on creating a travel budget
- We suggest you plan to fully engage in the event -- arrive by noon Sunday and leave after 5pm Tuesday, but you can note alternatives on your budget.
- The hotel is often the single largest cost. If you have ideas for minimizing the cost like an alternative hotel, AirBnB, or sharing a room with another applicant, please detail your plan.
- Breakfast and lunch are provided at the conference on Monday and Tuesday.
- List the appropriate registration fee as expenses.
- Outline what funds you willing and able to commit.
- Outline what funds or resources your school, your firm, or your AIA chapter are willing to commit.
All applicants will receive an automated email confirmation of their scholarship application. If you do not receive an email confirmation, contact Emma Tucker at email@example.com
. The conference planning committee will review and communicate a decision by October 3, 2017
Questions? Contact the AIA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-626-7450.