Young Architects Forum

• 1.  Save Spring House!

Posted 09-02-2014 08:33 AM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Young Architects Forum and Historic Resources Committee .
    -------------------------------------------
    Dear fellow AIA Members,

I am writing to request your help in saving one of America's architectural gems; Frank Lloyd Wright's Spring House in Tallahassee, Florida. We at the Spring House Institute are trying to raise money through a crowdfunding campaign to acquire the House from the original owner's the Lewises. The house was recently listed on the "11 Most Endangered Historic Places in America" by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
    http://www.preservationnation.org/issues/11-most-endangered/#gid-8 
    I ask that you please donate and share this on your websites, social media sites, and news feeds. We have great perks including a chance to own a piece of the original house. Please visit http://igg.me/at/springhouse  to donate and for more information and a short history of the house. Please help us save this unique and beautiful home. If every Architect in the United States gave us $1 the campaign would be finished in a day.

Thank you,

Maxim Nasab Assoc. AIA
    Intern Architect
    Touchstone Architecture
    Tallahassee FL

• 2.  RE: Save Spring House!

Posted 09-03-2014 10:43 PM
    From the article:  "Despite its unique design and its association with America's most famous architect, the house is deteriorating and urgently in need of repairs. Exposure to hurricanes and wind storms has led to water intrusion, and the damage is visible throughout the interior of the house.  In addition, tall cypress columns have deteriorated at their bases, and insect and woodpecker damage is apparent on the cypress siding."

First, what is the cost of purchasing the property?  Second, have you received actual estimates for restoring it to its original condition?  Judging from photos available on the web this property has been long neglected - it appears to have been abandoned for many years, if not decades - including the structure itself and the surrounding sitework.  The house was built 60 years ago and will require all new 'systems', and complete re-construction of the exterior envelope, waterproofing, and fenestration, and upgrading to current codes (all the while hidden cosmetically, which is difficult and costly).  That is in addition to entirely refitting the interior, and matching historic materials.   Replacing the originally ill-conceived (and now wood-peckered) cypress siding and its now-deteriorated waterproofing alone will be a six-figure number if done faithfully by high quality craftspersons.   Using prior FLW restoration attempts nationally as examples/models, I would expect the physical restoration work alone to be well into the multi-million dollar range.   Add to that the purchase of the property and ??????, and you could be looking at 8 figures initially.  That must be supplemented by a perpetual maintenance fund (to ensure the same issues of neglect do not repeat).

A number of similar projects in past were started only to be cancelled/abandoned later due to shortfalls in estimating, fundraising and cost estimating by well-meaning parties.

Your statement that $1/Architect will satisfy the fundraising need suggests this is not a well-planned effort.  There are only about 100,000 registered Architects in the country.   At $1 each it is possible you are understating the need by a multiple of 100.

While preserving historic structures can be a worthwhile endeavor, it can also be a fools' errand.  I imagine that in the state of Florida alone there would be many 'angels' that could fund the entire project if it were shown to be viable.  Before asking for donations from any of the readers here, perhaps you could provide more information (i.e. 'facts') about the total scope of the project, the total estimated costs (purchase, initial hard and soft costs and ongoing requirements), funds already raised, nature of the non-profit and its long term management prospects, etc...   so that potential donors can better evaluate whether this project is likely to succeed or just be another black hole.   People are more likely to take a project seriously if it is presented 'entire' rather than with only a typical PR piece.
    Howard Littman
    Forensic Architect, Expert Witness
    Howard I. Littman
    Agoura Hills CA