Small Project Design

Expand all | Collapse all

Plotters Recommendation

• 1.  Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-14-2015 10:40 AM
    Hello fellow Architects, 
    We are a small practice and are considering purchasing a plotter, we are looking into the HP T520 or Epson T5270,  does anyone have any experience with any of these plotters? or maybe recommend other plotters? Also - have you experienced any difference between plotters with or without PostScript capabilities?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time-

-------------------------------------------
    Elizabeth Pacheco AIA
    Architect
    Fallon+Pacheco Architects
    Bloomfield NJ

• 2.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-16-2015 05:32 PM
    Elizabeth,

I'm not sure how the spec.s compare, but I got my HP DesignJet T790 a couple years ago and am happy with the price point ($3,400) and the performance.

Adam Trott AIA
    Owner
    Adam J. Trott Architect
    Erie PA

• 3.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-16-2015 05:34 PM
    You definitely want PostScript.
    Whatever you end up with, ask to send a plot file from your system to the seller to plot for you so you can see in person what your plots should look like.

Pamela Leonard AIA
    Architect
    Jackson MS

• 4.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-16-2015 06:42 PM

Hello Elizabeth

After reading favorable recommendations in this discussion group, we purchased a 24" HP T520 in September 2014. HP may have a newer model today. The T520 produces quick D-Size black and white prints. I printed several 8 1/2" x 11" color photos on standard bond paper recently and they were good quality prints.

The only disappointment has been the machine has a minimum 5/8" right hand margin. There are work-arounds such as rotating each print so the margin is on the left "binder" side. The 5/8" margin can be a limitation for drawings in the smaller, 8 1/2 x 11" or 11" x 17" margins.

All-in-all we are quite pleased with the HP, especially considering its reasonable cost. Amazon sells these printers, but a local dealer scheduled the delivery and helped assemble for the same cost.

We have not needed postscript printing.

We're using ArchiCAD 18 software on MacIntosh computers.

Virgil Bartram AIA
    Architecture & Urban Views, Inc
    Baltimore MD

• 5.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-16-2015 08:04 PM
    I use a plotter a Brother MFC -J6910DW, which prints in 3 seconds one sheet 11x17 in full color.
    The clients, workers and City official love to use the 11x17 documents, are easy to handle, even in windy conditions.
    I can have test plots, fast and low cost.   The machine also scan, fax and do a lot of  tricks.
    The size is convenient.  And investment short.

Eugenio Aburto AIA
    architect
    Eugenio Aburto, AIA
    Palm Desert CA

• 6.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-17-2015 09:03 AM

We recently opted for a lease agreement on an HP T2500 DesignJet. It is both HPGL and PS and has WiFi and AirPrint capability.
    Not sure what your print volume is but this is fast B/W printer and a really nice color quality. It has 2 standard paper rolls. We have ours setup for ANSI D (22x34) and 11x17. We do all our review printing in 11x17 because we do have to pay for the paper by the sq.ft.
    Jonathan Carn
    Bradley, Schmidt & Carn Architecture, PLLC
    Dothan AL

• 7.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-17-2015 03:06 PM
    If your largest sheets you need to print are 24x36 you might think about the HP Designate T120 ePrinter that allows for sharp b&w technical prints and full color presentation prints as well at about $1,000.00. This printer can be used wireless and via email printing as well.

Richard Wilken AIA
    Architect-owner
    R.B. Wilken-Architect
    Pacific Palisades CA

• 8.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-18-2015 06:20 AM
    We bought an HP510 6 years ago and had the first major service (and one previous cleaning) performed on it two days ago.  I have been really happy with it.  It is a little slow compared to some of the newer models, but it has worked hard and great for my Mac office over the years.  I considered upgrading when it was time to replace the belt, but I am sticking with it for another few years.  I did not get a postscript printer when I bought it.  I print a fair amount of adobe and CAD (color and BW) files and have never had an issue without it. I had a PS plotter before, and can't tell a difference. I don't think it is necessary anymore with PDF and other Adobe files becoming more prevalent than when plotters first came out.  It is a needless extra $1,000.

Jeffrey Seabold AIA
    Principal Architect
    Seabold Architectural Studio
    Jackson MS

• 9.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-20-2015 05:07 PM
    We just bought an HPT520 Last year. Every time I think is plotting something there is always some interface issue. It tells me the paper I have is not HP Paper so it stops and waits for me to press a button to continue. I specifically set it up to use HP paper, such as B+/A3,  then it stops to tell me that the dimensions of the paper are not correct. Now mind you,  this is HP paper, being printed on an HP plotter and it doesn't recognize it, but it always recognizes the paper when it is not HP paper and stops to wait for your acknowledgement. It is almost like its marketing its own paper by making sure you don't use a rouge brand. Then it will unexpectedly unload the roll at the most inopportune time, for no apparent reason, requiring me to reload the roll. This usually happens when I am in a big hurry. Then it tells me it it's cancelling a job, but then magically prints it again anyhow.  I can't figure this thing out.  Its trying to be an intelligent machine, but it is kind of a pushy annoying intelligence. Almost every job requires some babysitting or double checking to make sure it is proceeding. The message panel is confusing and counter intuitive.  I just don't know what it wants me to do or what I've done to offend it. Now I don't trust it anymore. I just want it to stop nagging me and print everything like my dear old deceased design jet 700C.  I have to walk back and check on every job. I've had it. I'm ready to break up.  

Patrick Baechle AIA
    Firm Owner/Architect
    Baechle & Associates
    Hollidaysburg PA

• 10.  RE:Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-23-2015 08:17 PM

I went into business 11 years ago and have never owned a plotter. I have a great commercial printer I have used the entire 11years. He worries about paper, ink, and the printer. He provides jobs for good people and always makes an extra effort if I have a rush. My firm is small and resources are essential to my success. The printer is an important part of my team. I think it is the only way to go. Good luck.

Gail Pelsue AIA
    Principal
    Pelsue Architecture, LLC
    Denver CO

• 11.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-18-2015 05:38 PM
    First ask yourself if you actually need a plotter. They may be going the way of the fax machine. We are a 5 person firm doing small commercial/public and residential projects and have an HP DesignJet that hasn't been used in ages. We customarily just print at 11x17 on our copier - faster and cheaper - for our in-house work. We typically send digital .pdf files to the owners and contractors, and on the occasions that we actually need full size plots (we use 22 x 34 so they are exactly double our 11x17's) we send a digital file to one of the print houses or just to FedEx/Kinko's.
    For public bid jobs there are several different plan management services that our clients like to use. They manage the entire plan distribution service, keeping track of who gets plans and addenda and when. We just have to upload the plans, specs, addenda, etc.

F. John Barbour AIA
    Shelter Architecture, LLC
    Minneapolis MN

• 12.  RE: Plotters Recommendation

Posted 03-23-2015 05:41 PM
    I use the Canon iPF605. It's a 24" plotter (I think the 36" one is the 705). It does color and black and white. It's plugged into my router and I send prints wirelessly. If you need it, there is a scanner add-on that does full-size sheets in color, but I think it's pretty expensive.

So far, so good, I haven't had any issues with it.

Ian.

Ian Toner
    Principal
    Toner Architects
    Philadelphia PA