Small Project Design

Expand all | Collapse all

Software Used by Small Firms

• 1.  Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-12-2015 06:14 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Small Project Practitioners and Small Firm Round Table .
    -------------------------------------------
    I'm exploring the potential for Software Discounts as a small firm AIA benefit.  Individually we are 'microscopic' customers; but perhaps as a group we might play a different role in the marketplace.  Take a minute and share what software you use (or would like to use) on this open Google Doc, and also view the data to date. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jVo74FdPc7hqMr8JdQ3Uamku3XM0b9q7FZbOlFBA-Pk/edit?usp=sharing

Michael Malinowski AIA
    AIACC President Elect
    Applied Architecture, Inc.
    Sacramento CA

• 2.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-15-2015 10:05 PM

I wonder if that same philosophy, "Individually we are 'microscopic' customers; but perhaps as a group we might play a different role in the marketplace." might apply to health insurance.

Bob Reinhardt, AIA
    Reinhardt Architects
    Custom Residential Architecture
    http://www.reinhardt-architect.com
    301-949-7554

Robert Reinhardt AIA
    sole proprietor
    Reinhardt Architects
    Garrett Park MD

• 3.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-16-2015 10:39 PM
    Hi Robert
    The AIA Trust actually already has various forms of insurance available to members - health, disability, life, professional liability.  See more here:
    www.theaiatrust.com
    I personally have not looked to see how their offerings compare to those options that are in the general market, but you might check it out.

Michael Malinowski AIA
    AIACC President Elect
    Sacramento CA

• 4.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-17-2015 05:37 PM
    It doesn't amount to a pile of beans.  A firm our size didn't qualify for any savings.  What do you expect with a for profit healthcare system?

Gregory Holah
    Principal
    Holah Design + Architecture LLC
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-18-2015 07:29 PM
    Hi Greg
    Maybe this topic would merit a separate poll to find out what small firms are doing about this issue?
    Cheers
    Mike

Michael Malinowski AIA
    AIACC President Elect
    Sacramento CA

• 6.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-19-2015 05:36 PM
    I am a one man firm...and I have a wonderful insurance called Medicare (and other layers).
    It is the best deal so far I'm my history.

Nelson B. Nave AIA
    Owner
    Nelson Breech Nave, AIA Architect
    Kalamazoo MI

• 7.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-22-2015 07:40 PM
    Regarding Software,

Today for the first time, due to finding this string of comments, labeled "Software Used by Small Firms", I went to the spread sheet and added my information.  Many of the original participants should go back and look at how well developed and evolved the spreadsheet has become.  Very interesting to see what others are using and trying out.

Some categories need some filling out and others need some organization.

Best Wishes,

Kevin Rush AIA CSI
    Architect / Partner
    Architectural Design Partners, P.A.
    Minneapolis MN

• 8.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-25-2015 10:17 PM
    I have a question about software: what do people use for tracking time? I'm a one-man show with multiple project time every day. So far, I've been using Excel, but it's time-consuming (no pun intended). I'm sure there are programs designed to track time and then produce invoices that are not called Deltek.

John Downie AIA
    John V. Downie, AIA, LEED-AP
    Newton MA

• 9.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-26-2015 06:01 PM
    John,

I use a web app called Harvest (www.getharvest.com). It tracks time, generates invoices and includes some great reporting features. I've used it for over two years and have been very happy with it.

Michael

Michael Kilkelly AIA
    Principal
    Space Command
    Middletown CT

• 10.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-29-2015 05:50 PM
    I do not use this program, but someone I know does and she likes it very much - small version is free:
    Toggle.com
    It tracks multiple projects .  I was thinking of trying it.  She said (in comparison to Project timer):

Toggle.com:

Pros

- has an idle time function so if you step away from your computer it asks you if you want to keep your idle time. 
    - better interface

Cons 
    -doesnt live in the app dock as well as timer. THAT SAID: I prefer toggl to project timer

ProjectTimer:

Pros
    - super simple set up
    - full functionality when minimized to dock

Cons
    - often forget to turn it off, that's what makes the idle prompt feature of Toggl so useful
    Heidrun Hoppe
    Heidrun Hoppe Associates, Inc
    Evanston IL

• 11.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-29-2015 06:55 PM
    Michael,

Thanks for the introduction to "Harvest".  As a sole proprietor I was seeking this exact type of software. After trying the 30 day trial, I decided to purchase it and, so far, I am very pleased.

Regina Konet AIA
    Principal
    Konet Architecture
    Folsom CA

• 12.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-30-2015 09:27 AM
    I recommend Quick Books Pro-Timer - have used others but this is very flexible, reports generation are useful .

Allen E Neyman
    Rockville, MD

• 13.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-26-2015 06:18 PM
    John:

We are using QuickBooks Pro Timer which can be expanded to multiple employees if you ever go there.  We have adapted the categories and classifications to coordinate with our proposal format.  It feeds into a quickbooks billing system.  We used excel prior to this for tracking multiple employees, but with this software combo we are able to see actual hours spent week to week if we stay current with our time entries.  I hope this helps.

Paul Poirier AIA
    Paul Poirier + Associates
    Santa Barbara CA

• 14.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-29-2015 07:03 PM
    I also am a one man business. I have used Harvest, but I prefer Excel. It shows me all jobs for the whole year on 2 pages. I also make a booklet each year that shows one week on a page. I transcribe notes from the booklet to the spreadsheet once a week or so. If you would like to see copies, contact me directly.

John Bigham AIA
    Owner
    Bigham Roof Consulting
    Lakeland TN

• 15.  RE:Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-29-2015 08:37 PM
    I operate on an almost entire Mac OSX system and use OfficeTime. It's fantastic in that it uses our Google calendars to track time. Since we all use GCal to plan our work hours and adjust them as we go through the week, generating reports and time sheets is fully automatic. The best thing is that we are not dependent on time cards or manual entry of hours worked and the planning and tracking process is done independently of any particular time tracking software. So if I update my calendar on my Android, then add an event on my iPod, have my associate modify it on their IPAD, then change it again in Google calendar on my friends computer, its all good, OfficeTime will read the designated calendars with the associated project terms and generate my invoices. Their is also runner and an app for those that don't wish to use iCal or GCal. The reports and invoices are fully customizable as well as the billing terms conditions and any other necessary modifications that your project or practice may need. I have been using it for over seven years now and it's as solid as it gets.

Ricardo Ramos Assoc. AIA, LEED® AP,
    Arcadia CA

• 16.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-30-2015 04:03 PM
    Hey John,
    We use BQE's BillQuick platform for project management and accounting. I know they offer an online version as well although we use the desktop version which has some more feature functionality. But as far as time management goes it has a recorder if you want to use time tracking or just entering time details and notes associated to a specific project and activity.

I've used Deltek before (as a user and administrator) and BillQuick is similar for time tracking in my opinion - at much less of a cost. You get to keep your arm and leg and pay about $20 a month a user for the online access. The desktop version has more integration and features in your office is a little larger. 

As a whole we researched various different platforms; Infocus Clearview, BQE BillQuick, ArchiOffice, Axium Ajera (which is now part of Deltek), and a few other options for time tracking, project management and accounting - QuickBooks, Xero, Kashoo, Freshbooks, Intacct, Praesto AE, and a few others.

Personally thought BQE BillQuick was the best overall option and I really haven't been disappointed - regular annual releases, training & support, free webinars, etc. Customization is available for a price but I haven't really jumped into that pond yet.

Hope this helps,

Neil Silva, AIA, LEED AP, MBA
    Owner / Architect
    8TFive Studio, LLC
    East Freetown MA

• 17.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-29-2015 08:59 AM
    I'm in the middle of a 30-day trial for Harvest, and I love it.  I'm also a sole-practitioner and my days are all over the place, like yours.  I was using an Excel spreadsheet but it wasn't ideal.  Harvest tracks by project, billable and non-billable.  You can also add people, if you need to, and give them access so they can track time against a project.  It also can issue invoices, but right now I am using QuickBooks online for that.  I may transition that over to Harvest as well in the future.  It's been great so far.  

Best,
    Roxanne

Roxanne Button AIA
    Principal
    Design Synergies Architecture P.C.
    Tonawanda NY

• 18.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-30-2015 06:00 PM
    We use a free app called timesheeter that's available in the apple store. I just keep it on my iphone since I'm not always at my computer. Hope this helps.

Sabre Simone du Boise AIA
    Cadmus Design Build
    Roswell GA

• 19.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-30-2015 06:51 PM
    Harvest looks to be a good option for me and I will give the trial a test run to see how it goes. Question to others out there. It allows the option to link to PayPal. Does anyone offer payment through this service or by credit card? I have had clients ofter to pay by cc or pp before and am now considering it.

Robert Medan AIA
    Firm Owner
    Robert Medan, Architect
    San Mateo CA

• 20.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-30-2015 03:32 PM

Hi John,

Working as a sole proprietor with a few consultants, I had also been struggling to find an effective way to track time. Most of my projects are billed as hourly. For years I tried various software programs but they all provided much more than was needed for a "one-man show". And thus the programs were too complicated and time consuming when you are the guy doing everything.

Last year I decided to look around at apps to see if anything was available that would fit my needs. I discovered Work Clock that runs on my iPhone. While not perfect, it has been a godsend. It's so easy to enter time and to adjust it as needed. Like you, I also have numerous projects to track each day.

Every month I export the Work Clock data for each project to Excel. I can do this from my iPhone, laptop, or iPad, which are all synced. The data can be easily formatted in Excel, which I now have a template for. I still use Quickbooks to generate the invoice. However, I can now combine a very detailed, great looking, time report with the invoice. Within 45 minutes I can create the time report and invoice, make adjustments, carefully proofread, and then email a PDF to the client. Prior to Work Clock, a project invoice had been an unpleasant 2+ hour chore.

What I have come to understand over time is that most clients prefer to pay in smaller increments, even when they know what the final figure might be. Thus billing on a regular basis is critical for a happy client, plus it prevents a major financial hit if something does go wrong. So to have an easy method of composing an invoice has been great for both my cash flow and my sanity.

A great advantage that I've also discovered with the iPhone based tracker, is that I've become much better at tracking my time. I am constantly traveling, and since I always have my iPhone with me, billable time is never lost. The little bits of time that were forgotten before are now included in my invoices. And I no longer find myself sitting down at the end of a long day trying to figure out how time was spent as I bounced back-and-forth between numerous projects.

I also have my consultants using Work Clock on their smart phones. Each month they email a report of their time. I can then quickly import that information into my Excel format, and include it on the project invoice.

Most programs do not address the many specific needs of a one-man show. So I've discovered that by pulling together the functions that I need from several programs (Quickbooks, Excel, Work Clock) I have created a very efficient and enjoyable billing process, and of course, profitable.

John Black AIA
    Partner
    Lapis Design Partners LLC
    Honolulu HI

• 21.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 07-01-2015 05:46 PM
    I use an app called timely. It also has a web portal and allows me to pre-plan my time so I can compare what I thought it would take with what it actually took. the only set back is it won't report directly to quick books...but they say they are working on that. The price was not too bad either.

https://www.timelyapp.com

Sean Williams AIA
    Principle
    OT9 Design, llc
    St Petersburg FL

• 22.  RE: Software Used by Small Firms

Posted 06-29-2015 05:55 PM
    We are a small firm, 3 architects, 2 interns and 1 office manager and we started using ArchiOffice at the start of 2015 fiscal year. We had been doing invoicing in Excel or Word and just entering the data into Quick Books and we had an excel spread sheet for time sheets. We are not fully switched over to ArchiOffice, but we are getting there. Unfortunately, you have to have a license for each employee to enter data directly into ArchiOffice, so for now we still have the interns using excel for time sheets and our office manager enters their time into ArchiOffice. We use the same codes in excel for time so our office manager doesn't have to figure that part out.
    ArchiOffice works very well with Outlook for importing contacts and also links directly in with Quick Books. Our accountant is much happier this year (so far at least) with the data entries in Quick Books that are coming from ArchiOffice.

Jonathan Carn
    Bradley, Schmidt & Carn Architecture, PLLC
    Dothan AL