Small Project Design

• 1.  Role of an Architect during the Construction Administration Phase

Posted 03-11-2015 01:55 PM
    I designed an apartment in NYC for clients from overseas. While the project is going into the construction phase, I am discovering that there is a huge gap between what is expected from an architect here (in NYC) and what it would be in Europe. Does anyone know of a publication: a book, an article, white paper, handbook ...anything that would help me describe our role on the project during this critical project phase? AIA documents are useful as a form of contract, but hard (too legal) to read, especially for foreign clients.

I appreciate any comments and suggestions.

-------------------------------------------
    Barbara Lewandowska AIA
    Principal
    Lewandowska Architect PLLC
    New York, NY

• 2.  RE: Role of an Architect during the Construction Administration Phase

Posted 03-12-2015 05:31 PM
    1. CSI Construction Contract Administration Practice Guide (best source)
    2. Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice (okay)

Dennis J. Hall, FAIA, FCSI
    Chairman | CEO
    Hall Architects, Inc.
    Charlotte NC

• 3.  RE: Role of an Architect during the Construction Administration Phase

Posted 03-19-2015 05:56 PM
    I designed a manufacturing facility for a South Korean client 3 years ago (in southeast alabama) and experienced the same issue. I tried to explain our "legal" obligation, however, it was never really resolved. What worked best for me was getting time, alone, with their translator and explaining how the project would be managed, especially the concept of being an "agent" of the owner. Having this alone time allowed the translator to ask questions and that allowed them to time to find the best way to translate the concept to the owner. One thing I learned was to speak "proper" because they do not understand our slang and shortcuts.

Jonathan Carn
    Bradley, Schmidt & Carn Architecture, PLLC
    Dothan AL

• 4.  RE: Role of an Architect during the Construction Administration Phase

Posted 03-20-2015 05:40 PM
    Barbara

Have you seen the AIA Handbook for Professional Practice? I used to have a set and believe I saw some at the AIA bookstore.  

Allen
    Allen E Neyman
    Rockville, MD

• 5.  RE: Role of an Architect during the Construction Administration Phase

Posted 03-22-2015 06:54 PM
    Barbara: This may sound academic but there is an administrative section at the front of each of the model building codes that spells these responsibilities under the "Building Code". Each state has section on licensing, activities and expectations in its general laws. Many municipalities go further and add their own regulations. All of this is fairly easy to sift through if its written down.

The biggest problem I have with a regional practice is random enforcement of these rules and regulations. As a rule I follow the letter of the law(s) and then ask local enforcement for their individual requirements before agreeing to a contract with any client.

There is no better assistant than insatiable curiosity.
    John Dugger AIA
    Principal Architect
    J S Dugger, AIA & Associates
    Gloucester MA