Small Project Design

Expand all | Collapse all

AIA Convention

• 1.  AIA Convention

Posted 02-10-2015 06:41 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Practice Management Member Conversations and Small Project Practitioners .
    -------------------------------------------
    Is anybody else having heartburn over Hillary Clinton's husband and chief campaigner stumping at the AIA Convention?  Can we at least offer equal time to Dr. Ben Carson, Scott Walker or Marco Rubio?  How blatant can we get?
    Robin Miller AIA
    MSH Architects
    Sioux Falls SD

• 2.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-11-2015 05:34 PM

Douglas Selby AIA
    Douglas A. Selby, Architect
    Cheyenne WY

• 3.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-12-2015 06:06 PM
    Over the last 21 years as a Rotarian I have joined leaders of my community in putting politics aside for 11/2 hours each week to discuss and promote the needs of our community. I firmly believe that my professional brethren in as well informed and educated community as the AIA can rise to that level of sophistication at least for a few minutes.

Somewhere in that interminably long educational period leading to my career I was informed that ignoring the opposition is cheating yourself out of the benefit of understanding what it is you need to know to defend yourself and your position. Is this to complex for my colleagues to grasp?

John Dugger AIA
    Principal Architect
    J S Dugger, AIA & Associates
    Gloucester MA

• 4.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-12-2015 07:53 PM

Andrew Peklo AIA
    Peklo Design & Joinery, P.C.
    Woodbury CT

• 5.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-12-2015 10:39 PM
    You mean Dr. Ben Carson, the physician who doesn't believe in evolution, the guy who claims the Affordable Care Act is "the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery" and the same Dr. Carson who speaks of gays, NAMBLA and bestiality all in the same breath? That Dr. Ben Carson? In my mind, he might not be such a good fit.

I am disappointed with some of what Clinton did, and I think that the thing he did which affected our country and our profession most negatively was the repeal of Glass-Steagall, the banking regulation which prevented the banks from gambling with our money.

But he is a very powerful and insightful speaker and his Global Initiative keys into many of the values that it seems that we, as architects, embrace. I won't be at the convention, but I imagine that he will impart some valuable and inspiring information.

Daniel Lewis AIA
    Daniel Lewis AIA, Architect
    Northborough MA

• 6.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-13-2015 05:53 PM
    Thank you Daniel Lewis.  All speakers are not equal.  One person's intelligence is not equal to another person's ignorance, no matter the party affiliation. 
    David Edrington AIA
    David Edrington, Architect
    Eugene OR

• 7.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-11-2015 05:38 PM
    Robin, I completely agree.  Since when has the AIA Convention become the DNC?  What does President Clinton know about the architectural profession? It infuriates me that he will probably receive a quarter million dollars of the money we pay to keep our AIA membership active. 

Why do we need a politician as our keynote speaker? Can't the AIA Board seek out an inspirational, progressive, non-political ARCHITECT to present the keynote address at our Convention? 

This is why I am not attending the AIA Convention. 

Regina Konet AIA
    Principal
    Konet Architecture
    Folsom CA

• 8.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-13-2015 12:52 PM
    In case you have not noted, most of time since his presidency have been focused on global initiatives not politics.  His contribution to the convention will be focused on these initiatives and how architecture relates to them.  This discussion is focused on the glass half empty and not the opportunity he brings to share his global initiatives which are improving peoples lives around world.

I think it is wonderful that Bill Clinton's is speaking at the AIA convention. He is one of the greatest inspiring leaders of our generation. His work since his presidency has gone far beyond politics to make a significant contribution to global issues that "strengthen the capacity of people throughout the world to meet the challenges of global interdependence.". From AIDS to climate change he has been a significant force in leading the discussion on addressing the challenge issues of our time. This is a wonderful opportunity and I look forward to the convention.

Peter Leoschke AIA
    Senior Project Manager
    Mead & Hunt, Inc.
    Middleton WI

• 9.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-11-2015 05:39 PM
    I decided that I wouldn't go this year. Everytime I see the ads for the convention with Bill Clinton's picture I close the post as fast as I can.

William Mammen AIA
    Mammen Associates Architecture
    Park City UT

• 10.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-11-2015 05:40 PM
    AIA has a relationship with Bill Clinton through their participation in the Clinton Global Initiative, which is what I would assume he would talk about.  I have never heard an AIA speaker give a political talk at a convention or other meeting.

It might interest you that Dr. Carson has spoken at Grassroots in the past.  

In general, if you look at where the Archipac has spent it's resources, they are almost evenly divided by party.  

Personally, I only want to hear from a politician talk about areas where I, as an architect, are concerned.  I could see Dr. Carson speaking about the connection between architecture and health.  I am sure that President Clinton will talk about how architects can make the world a better place to live, the work of the Clinton Global Initiative (which if you look at who they have had speak to them and in the behalf is totally non-partisan) and the role we can play in bringing their goals to reality.  Other politicians, especially those you named, have nothing to add besides strictly partisan rhetoric.  I get the fact that one can say "My Party: Good; Other Party: Bad.  That's not what I believe will happen here.

Walter Hainsfurther FAIA
    Kurtz Associates Architects
    Des Plaines IL

• 11.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-11-2015 06:39 PM
    I agree with Walter's comments below.

You might recall this "Take Five" piece by EVP / CEO Ivy as AIA began its collaboration with the Clinton Global Initiative.

http://www.aia.org/practicing/AIAB100164

Improving people's lives is a goal AIA and CGI share.

RK Stewart FAIA
    Founder
    RK Stewart Consultants
    2007 AIA President
    Salt Lake City UT

• 12.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-11-2015 07:06 PM
    I couldn't agree with Robin more.  The question I have is why does the AIA have a stake in the Clinton Global Initiative?  Not seeing a reasonable connection, I concur that there is no earthly reason why the AIA should pay to have Bill Clinton anywhere near an architecture convention.

The AIA is obviously using Bill Clinton as some kind of draw to get people to come to the convention.  Maybe he could at least speak to why he loosened the borrowing criteria during his term so that every Tom, Dick or Harry could get a loan for a home that they couldn't afford, create a housing bubble, and then destroy our economy and half of our profession.

This is the type of situation that makes me wonder what the AIA is thinking.

John Brower AIA
    Principal Partner
    Dugasz & Brower Architects, Inc.
    Woodbridge NJ

• 13.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-12-2015 05:55 PM
    Thank you Mr. Brower; I completely agree with all you have written here.

Dwight Matthews AIA
    Architect
    Dwight Matthews, AIA Architect
    Flint Hill VA

• 14.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-12-2015 06:04 PM
    I can't remember that last AIA Convention I attended.  But with Bill Clinton as a draw, I will not be at this one for sure. The older I get the more politically attentive I have become.  I agree 100% with John Brower's comments.

John Feick AIA
    Feick Design Group, Inc.
    Sandusky OH

• 15.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-13-2015 10:11 AM
    The Built Environment is one of the focus tracks of the Clinton Global Initiative and I, personally, am looking forward to hearing what they are doing and what opportunities they have for architects to be involved. The Foundation's work is right on track with what architects are concerned with. Should be a great speech.  

Pamela Leonard AIA
    Architect
    Jackson MS

• 16.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-12-2015 06:09 PM
    CLINTON KEYNOTE
    I favor having Clinton as the keynote speaker. 

I agree with Walter Hainsfurther - what you really have is this:  a Past US President and the founder of the Clinton Global Initiative (a very effective effort)

Clinton Global Initiative:  https://www.clintonfoundation.org/clinton-global-initiative/about-us/cgi-mission

I think this subject is very much in the vein of the typical keynote speaker, and it furthers the conversation of how we architects can and do improve our world community.

Adam Trott AIA
    Owner
    Adam J. Trott Architect
    Erie PA

• 17.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-12-2015 06:47 PM
    I'm sorry, Walter. I'm not buying it. The CGI has nothing to do with architecture. The sympathies of some architects in favor of the CGI's energy efficiency program is no different than the sympathies of other architects for initiatives from the other side of the political spectrum and is no justification for turning the keynote session into a campaign event for Hilary. The Clintons' poor ethical record should disqualify both of them from being held up as role models before any group.

Sean Catherall AIA
    Senior Project Manager
    DAVE ROBINSON ARCHITECTS
    Salt Lake City UT

• 18.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-12-2015 07:49 PM
    Thank you Walter for that cogent message.

This thread is a good example of a discussion we had at a recent Colorado Board meeting about not endorsing a particular political party and trying to avoid partisan politics. We all have clients of various persuasions and we serve a public which is pretty well divided down the middle.

I look forward to hearing from Bill Clinton as I would from George Bush, or any number of political leaders I might have voted against, if they have relevance to what we do and they leave their politics at the door. 

David Swoboda AIA
    Architect/ Principal
    DF Swoboda Architecture
    Boulder CO

• 19.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-17-2015 01:20 PM
    I appreciate posts as balanced as Walter's below. The level of political bile coming from architects based on, frankly, ignorance and blinders, saddens me greatly. I have seen posts blaming Clinton for apparently single-handedly engineering the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, causing the downfall of the financial sector. Regardless of the role you think Glass-Steagall played in all of this pain, we shouldn't forget that this repeal was done through the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act -- three Republican sponsors. The act was further modified by  Democratic congressional input, too. Picking a villain from "the other side" who makes you apoplectic ignores the reality of politics, which most architects have to contend with on a daily basis. Claims from architects that we have nothing to learn from politicians makes me think that these architects are living in an ivory tower and have never had to contend with a city council or planning commission. Politics are part and parcel of what we do.

Then there are those who are dismissive of whatever Clinton might say because of his "personal ethics." Of course, these were the same ethics of Louis Kahn, Frank Lloyd Wright, Martin Luther King, Jr., and innumerable other leaders throughout history. While this doesn't excuse the behavior, the pettiness shown by such holier-than-thou architects (who probably also regularly profess their recognition of human fallibility and commitment to forgiveness on Sundays) is disheartening.

I retired my membership in the AIA due to what I perceived as a lack of relevance. Having Bill Clinton as a convention speaker is making me consider re-joining. (Part of what I am looking for at a convention is inspiration; having a world-renowned architect talk to me about his/her projects which are at a level -- design-wise or scale-wise -- that I will never, ever participate in, now THAT is truly irrelevant.) But after reading some of these posts, I dunno.

Richard Morrison
    Redwood City CA

• 20.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-18-2015 06:54 PM
    To say that a political speech from a politician--who is adored by many, despised by many and held neutral by few--is unappreciated is not to say that architects have nothing to learn about politics. Personally, I welcome a politically neutral break-out session on the subject of the role of architects in politics. Not an ax-grinding keynote speech.

And I doubt that our clients, partners, employees, consultants, insurers, attorneys and loved ones would be eager to engage us if we dismiss deception as an irrelevant issue exclusively of concern to the petty and the judgmental.

Sean Catherall AIA
    Senior Project Manager
    DAVE ROBINSON ARCHITECTS
    Salt Lake City UT

• 21.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-19-2015 05:47 PM

I think Bill is very appropriate for the Ego-fest.
    Darrell Barnes AIA
    President
    Darrell Barnes Architect, Inc.
    Bend OR

• 22.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-18-2015 10:39 PM
    Well said Mr. Morrison. We are witnessing one sad moment in our country where the hurt feelings of one party has led to an obsession with trying to destroy the other party even if it means blowing the whole thing up. Even if it means turning their back on legislation they would have voted for in the recent past or legislation they invented. The "other" party has proven to be more afraid of their own shadow than ever. Afraid to take pride in their successes while succumbing to a relentless assault of misinformation only to lead people to believe the now proven, pants on fire lies. Thanks to the Roberts Court, two individuals like the Koch Brothers can legally spend one billion dollars on a single election. It sure would be nice if they spent that money on raises for their employee's or creating jobs...seeing how we were all led to believe they are the job creators, thus they deserve unfair tax advantages, loop holes, and deductions that my small business doesn't qualify for.

Bill Clinton was bound to cause a stir with the right wing of the AIA. Unfortunately, people that inspire such hate tend to do so because they are so good. Like him or not, he was the master of working with the other side or working them over when they tried to destroy him. He got things done, which is quite the opposite of the opposition party's MO today. The Great Recession was much more than a bank crisis. It was a full scale economic failure which included destroying millions of jobs in construction, manufacturing, and agriculture to name a few and this was all before 2004. W had 8 years to "fix" the alleged problems Clinton caused by deregulating the banks. Instead, he further deregulated the banks. Bill Clinton is hardly innocent and far from being an angel, but blaming him for such a complicated mess 8 years after he left office is rather sad and petty.
    Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

• 23.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-11-2015 05:42 PM

I received the same email notifying us of this pronouncement. My first thoughts were why would the AIA choose to invite this know adulterer and what can he offer us? Is there any other keynote speaker that can be summoned to offer us something of relevance to our profession? I also wondered how much the AIA is paying Mr. Clinton for his speech. We all know how much our dues cost and that it is not a insignificant sum by any means. I would like the AIA to disclose this fact to us members but doubt very much it will happen.
    Robert Medan AIA
    Firm Owner
    Robert Medan, Architect
    San Mateo CA

• 24.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-16-2015 05:35 PM
    This is in response to what Gina Moffitt posted:

Personally, I'd rather hear a non-architect talk about the role architects can play in the society we serve then listen to "starchitects" talk about their work.  With the exception of Calatrava, they are generally boring and uninspiring.  Does it have to be a politician?  Certainly not.  In Illinois, one of the best speakers we have had was Chad Pregracke , who, as an individual, started cleaning up the Mississippi River.  It was a powerful lesson in the power of what one person can accomplish.  In fact, he was rewarded as the 2013 CNN Person of the Year.  

BTW, those who believe that any keynote speakers' fees come from member dues, they are mistaken.  The convention is an entity in itself and, in fact, is one of the larger revenue sources for the Institute.

Walter Hainsfurther FAIA
    Kurtz Associates Architects
    Des Plaines IL

• 25.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-17-2015 05:42 PM
    Hear, hear!

Dawn Zuber AIA
    Owner
    Studio Z Architecture
    Canton MI

• 26.  RE: AIA Convention

Posted 02-17-2015 06:33 PM
    You know, one would think that, with the AIA in the midst of a re-positioning effort, the leadership would recruit a keynote speaker whose reputation and background qualify him or her to unite all AIA members toward successful re-positioning, rather than a person who is primarily qualified to increase divisions between audience members. If the goal is to merely get attention through controversy, I believe any member of the Kardashian family could handle that task equally well.

Sean Catherall AIA
    Senior Project Manager
    DAVE ROBINSON ARCHITECTS
    Salt Lake City UT