Small Project Design

• 1.  Why don't we all share details

Posted 11-21-2014 06:32 PM

Hmmm, the balance of the old joke "inherit lots of money and practice architecture until you go broke" or the life experiences of "be an architect and a business person - offer genuine value, charge fairly and completely for it, earn and enjoy a lifetime of respect and professional satisfaction." 

In my experience, Architect and business person are not either/or, the must be both/and. If "just share" means barter value for value, i'm all for it. If it means "just give value away" I can't get my mind around the idea.

-------------------------------------------
    Scott Braley FAIA
    CEO
    Braley Consulting & Training
    Atlanta GA

• 2.  RE: Why don't we all share details

Posted 12-24-2014 11:19 PM
    Scott,

<chuckle>.... So who asked you for 'discounted' or 'free' services this month? <g>

I've noticed that our profession has lost a great deal of it's collegial character in the last 50 (or 100) years... In direct proportion to central banks' ability to print currency with no economic consequences other than a grumpy populace.

THAT is the problem with our world.  If we had normal economies, then the business world would be far more civil (and the AEC industry would be more 'sensible').

I share stuff all the time.  The trouble is that any details / techniques / strategies are only applicable to certain geographic locales and usually don't 'scale' well to other situations. 

Anyhow... I feel your pain, brother.  Sincerely.

David M. Sanders, Architect
    Orange County, CA