Small Project Design

• 1.  Curious how much of BIM's claimed features are actually used.....

Posted 12-22-2014 10:09 AM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Small Project Practitioners and Technology in Architectural Practice .
    -------------------------------------------
    I have owned and used Revit since 2000, since Autodesk bought it in 2002, and since I uploaded my first object to revitcity.com in 2004.  I got it because I could quickly get a 3D image to show my client and, if not drastically changed, use that to get a running start on construction documents.  It was not and still isn't as convenient of a 2D drafting tool as Autocad, but not having to start from scratch on plans, elevations, etc. after preliminaries are approved makes up for that, maybe.

It appears that the majority of architects are using some kind of BIM program.  I am curious to what extent and "how close to the software seller/developers claims" are most architects actually using BIM? 

I never leave (anymore than I have to) 3D objects in the final model.  3D cabinets, plumbing fixtures, furniture, etc. in every room creates a huge file, not worth the trouble.  I never have the site as a final BIM component.  The site tools in Revit are still pathetic and if there was a way to import an intelligent site into the BIM model it would be enormous.  If I have a standing seam metal roof, I still have to create a 3D model of that using sloped glazing with the same metal as the "one way only" mullions for the glass. The site plans are either created as 2D drawings in my office, many times in Autocad, or imported from the Civil Engineer using my title block, etc.  All of my final print sets are PDF's (printing directly from Revit burned me in the past so I now only do prints from PDF's) so assembling the engineers prints consists of them just sending me their sheets on my title block as PDF's.  I have phantom sheets in my Revit model for all of theirs so they automatically fill in the sheet list with their titles and numbers.

So, there is no building model complete with every sidewalk, shrub, cabinet, roof, etc. all 3D, all available for accurate take-offs, every object full of helpful information, etc.  No reason for my client, contractors, consultants, code officials, or anyone else (the software seller/developer can think of to try to sell more software) to have their own version of my software, updated, subscribed, signed on for life.

I can see my structural, HVAC, and electrical engineers having their own Revit models that we might merge for checking.  This combined model might be helpful for communicating to the contractors, owners, etc. general information but I see no way this replaces any drawings or even should be part of the contract documents.  It is just not complete.  There are too many "work arounds" still needed to trust it as an accurate document to build by.

So, is this just a small firm way (last time I checked 75% of all licensed architects worked in firms of 4 or less employees) of doing it and the big firms have this all worked out and gladly furnish the BIM model as a complete and accurate representation of all things in the building and they gladly assume all legal, financial, and moral liability for anything wrong or incomplete?

Those of you doing BIM, how far do you go before you jump off the BIM bandwagon and finish the contract documents with non-BIM drawings?  I am just curious.

Darrel Odom AIA, LEED AP
    President
    Odom Peckham Architecture, Inc.
    Little Rock AR

• 2.  RE: Curious how much of BIM's claimed features are actually used.....

Posted 12-23-2014 06:05 PM
    Interesting assessment.  Although I cut my teeth on pencils, I've been drawing exclusively on computer for 25 years, in a small office situation.  In the beginning I couldn't wait for 3D tools to arrive, mature.  Over time I've realized that software is written by folks who imagine what we do, though we are studied for sure.  What seems like a pretty good solution to them often seems inadequate or useless to me.

The available 3D tools for visualization are really good.  So are the 2D tools for 2D descriptions.

I use vectorworks which is BIM to some.  With it I find I can do high quality 2D drawings, quickly, efficiently and in detail. Intelligent 3D gets exponentially more complex and the result frustrates me to no end.  It wants me to say things its way, I want to say things my way and the result is struggle.

For 3D I use a tool whose DNA is 3D, formz.  For that purpose it is superb, a joy to work with.  I wouldn't think of doing 2D drawings with it, however.

Both of these tools are light years beyond what I had at my disposal with a pencil.  Just in terms of labor efficiency it's a completely different and much improved world.

I feel like a carpenter with 5 saws.  Each one cuts some things to the limit of my ability.  None does the best possible job on every possible task.

None of my clients ask for BIM.  These clients are residential, commercial and industrial.  The business clients may sometimes want access to my drawings, but it's never more than a floor plan, scalable, or some imagery for marketing.

I think the right way, for me at least, is to tailor my work process to the result I need to provide to my clients.  For the foreseeable future, it does not include BIM.

As I get older, I'm less drawn to big, once and for all solutions to the imperfections in our world.  I'm fine with a few good tools that don't do everything.  I think they give more options for solving problems, and allow a more agile response.  They give us an opening to think freely and respond to new situations with the creativity we are known for.

My 2 cents.

Donald Wardlaw AIA
    More Than Construction, Inc.
    Oakland CA

• 3.  RE: Curious how much of BIM's claimed features are actually used.....

Posted 12-24-2014 11:02 AM
    I never leave the BIM (Revit) model for documents.  The documents are one one part of the information gained from modeling.  I have been a sole practitioner for many years.  Have also consulted with larger firms on how to utilize Revit or every size project.  I have not used AutoCadd since purchasing Revit in 2002.  "Work around" or not, modeling is much more efficient when remodeling a basement or doing 200m university project.

Sean Bujold AIA
    President
    Sean Bujold & Associates, Inc.

• 4.  RE: Curious how much of BIM's claimed features are actually used.....

Posted 12-24-2014 05:58 PM
    Darrel,
    Which "claims" are you referring to? If the issue is taking a model into ConDocs for efficiency, then YES, I am BIM all the way. Schedules, plans, elevations (both interior and exterior), etc. are all MUCH faster when generated off of a model, and supplemented with 2D details. I leave everything in the model, and the size isn't bad at all. I am using either ArchiCAD or Chief Architect (depending on the project), and size hasn't been an issue. I just wouldn't work any other way. (I don't know how much of your dissatisfaction is due to your choice of program and/or ability to use it.)

If you are talking about the claim that BIM will produce an intelligent database that will be useful to the contractors and their subs, simplifying the bid process and saving the client much money, resulting in everyone singing Kumbaya in a big circle, then no, that hasn't happened -- at least in the residential field where I work. I struggle to get contractors to even read their e-mail, and texting a photo from a jobsite is beyond the ability of some of them.

Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
    Redwood City CA

• 5.  RE: Curious how much of BIM's claimed features are actually used.....

Posted 12-24-2014 11:04 PM
    My own experience parallels Richard Morrison's... Pretty much anything that can be modeled, is.  The BIM model and the construction documents are a single unit.  Some (maybe a quarter) of the details are still 2D and the annotation is done in layout (or paperspace) mode, but all the primary drawings, schedules, etc. are directly taken from the model and automatically update to changes therein.   

The learning curve from 2D to 3D is admittedly steep, but it can be eased into.  Projects I developed ten years ago are nowhere near the level of what I'm producing today, and that's mostly a function of learning what the software can do.  Today, I'm producing drawings twice as good as the 2D days, in about the same amount of time (300 to 400 hours for a luxury home on a tricky site, full interiors, fully detailed, full S/M/E/P/C coordination). 

That's the curb you step off with BIM... If you get a taste, and like it, then you'll begin to strive to model anything you can.  Like anything else we do professionally, the more you practice, the better you get.  You need to make a continuous effort to learn new techniques, tools and methods.  I think the closest parallel is learning to play a musical instrument.  BIM is like having a CAD Wurlitzer.

Being able to quickly produce polished images to sell the design is fantastic.  Sometimes, we'll even load the model into game engine software, where the client can walk around in it. 

By far the greatest advantage is peace of mind... When you get to the point where you're modeling all aspects of the project, you know everything will work / fit / finish properly if the contractor can be bothered to read the drawings.  That alone yields a quantum leap in overall project satisfaction.  If you have a good contractor, they'll love being able to get a snapshot of any area they don't quite understand.  Absolutely amazing tool, and a huge time saver for everyone on the project.

I'm an ArchiCAD user, but Revit will do pretty much the same things as AC... As will Chief Architect.  Definitely demo a few different packages and see which one you like the 'culture' of... Maybe Revit is not necessarily your best choice.  My brain wiring works well with ArchiCAD, so that's where I settled, personally. 

I'm a fuddy-duddy in a lot of respects, but BIM?...  I'd miss it a lot if it got taken away from me.  I still maintain my manual drafting skills in case of an EMP or a meteor strike, though. <g>

Hope everyone has a great holiday season!

David M. Sanders, Architect
    Orange County, CA