Regional and Urban Design Committee

a typical downtown bike ride and what it tells us about urban bicycling

• 1.  a typical downtown bike ride and what it tells us about urban bicycling

Posted 03-02-2015 04:34 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Committee on the Environment and Regional and Urban Design Committee .
    -------------------------------------------

What this Routine Bike Trip Says about Urban Bicycling 

I ride my 50 year old city bike for errands and meetings on almost a daily basis, in almost any weather and mostly in an area of about 2-3 miles around my office in downtown Baltimore.
    Turning left here is the easiest from the sidewalk but even that
    isn't without risk (photo: Philipsen)

This is generally an enjoyable thing to do and it gets me to places faster than any other mode. Yet, these trips are also full of challenges and hazards. I figured it would be interesting to compare bike policies and progress with facilities in Baltimore along one of my very typical routes, which I am sorry to say, is devoid of any bike accommodation. A rather short trip but frequent trip is the one to the branch of my bank, thanks to the somewhat archaic American banking system where one still receives paper checks in the mail that require hand deposits.
    The trip is shorter than a mile, takes no more than 5-7 minutes, but requires negotiating a number of the busier arterials. I decided to describe the route and its dangers in some detail to illustrate the perils of urban bicycling and why many cities still have trouble to attract more riders.

My bike sits in my office and I can easily take it to the ground level via ADA compliant elevator and get it out the front door without difficulty. My office faces Eutaw Street, less than a mile north of Oriole Park at Camden Yards. It is best for me to just ride down on the eastern sidewalk for the 3/4 block.....Read entire article
    Klaus Philipsen FAIA
    Archplan Inc. Philipsen Architects
    Baltimore MD