Practice Management Member Conversations

Expand all | Collapse all

Time tracking and reporting

• 1.  Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-13-2014 03:31 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Practice Management Member Conversations and Technology in Architectural Practice .
    -------------------------------------------
    Hello All,

We are a firm of approximately fifteen people.  Currently we track our time and report on projects through various excel spreadsheets.  As we have grown this has become more and more cumbersome.  We are currently looking for a software package that we can use for:

1.  Employee timesheet entry for projects.
    2.  Expense tracking.
    3.  Project reporting including profit/loss by phase, or even to the task level.
    4.  Forecasting of effort to help understand our staffing needs.
    5.  Consultant tracking.

We do not need an accounting program, and will still generate custom invoices.  We have seen demos for a few programs, and like a package called Mavenlink.  Does anyone have experience with this software, or suggestions of another.  Any help is appreciated.

Mark
    Mark Shannon AIA
    The Hayes Design Group - Architects
    Pittsburgh PA

• 2.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-15-2014 07:40 AM
    we use Deltek Vision for all those, although we are a much larger firm.  It is not cheap, not intuitive, nor user friendly, is hard to learn (reports), and Deltek has an attitude.  So there you go.  Good luck.

Kerry Hogue AIA
    HKS, Inc.
    Dallas TX

• 3.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-18-2014 05:27 PM
    Except for the firm size, I'd say ditto to Kerry's remarks.

Richard Speicher AIA
    Principal
    Weber Murphy Fox Architects
    Erie PA

• 4.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-18-2014 05:46 PM
    You may want to check out the SDA (Society for Design Administration) LinkedIn page and post the same questions. SDA also has a Facebook page.

Those of us in design firms primarily use Axium Ajera (my preference) or Deltek Vision, which seems more geared to larger firms.

Ajera is more intuitive, more visual, and real time (no batch posting).

Neither are cheap, but if you are able to track project costs and budgets, identify additional services hours, and see at a glance on your desktop the financial condition of your firm (Ajera), it's worth the investment.

As to the comment below, ArchiOffice is great and visual, but is primarily a project management solution that may interface with other financial products, but is not fully integrated project management and accounting.

Firm of 15

Betsy Nickless, CDFA
    SDA-Orange County Chapter
    Mark Scheurer Architect
    Newport Beach CA

• 5.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-18-2014 06:27 PM
    Our firm has ranged in size from 7 to 44 over the past two decades.   For many years we successfully managed all of the tasks you describe on an architectural  software platform called Semafore.     It worked well and did everything that we needed for about 10 to 12 years.    One day we were notified that a company call Deltek purchased Semafore.   It was business as usual for several years.   Then one day we were notified that Deltek would no longer support our software.  We were forced to migrate to Deltek.    After two years of hell and many, many tens of thousands of dollars invested............we threw in the towel.   We changed to a software platform called Ajera.   It was terrific!   Easier to use.  Lower cost.   Everything about it was better.   We have been happy for 4 or 5 years now......................until about 4 or 5 months ago.   We got a notice that Deltek has now purchased Ajera.   I am worried that my cheif accounting staff will take early retirement rather than go through all the grief that we did before.  

I have to agree with everything Kerry Hogue described.   Deltek would be better off ditching their product and adopting Ajera as there key software platform. 

Bill Wilson FAIA
    Vice President
    WKMC Architects, Inc.
    Corpus Christi TX

• 6.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-18-2014 06:39 PM
    so why do we do this  to ourselves?!   another Deltek user.

• 7.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-18-2014 07:30 PM
    I have used ArchiOffice for a number of years and find it very useful. ------------------------------------------- William Thompson, AIA, LEED AP BD+C Principal Wm. Thompson AIA & Assoc., Architect Guilford, CT -------------------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-15-2014 09:58 AM
    My company uses our accounting software Ajera to do all time tracking and reporting, but there are other ones out there.  I believe the best I have seen and tried is a software called Archioffice by BQE Software.  
    Their system was designed by an A&E user and it is centered on our project types.  It also works well with accounting software.  Watch their demos and tell me what you think.

Justin P. Zahner, AIA LEED® AP BD+C

Eley Guild Hardy Architects PA
    1091 Tommy Munro Dr
    Biloxi, MS 39532
    T 228.594.2323
    F 228.594.2223
    www.eleyguildhardy.com

• 9.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-18-2014 06:08 PM
    We started using Archioffice years ago when it was File Maker Pro based. It was both Mac and Win and Indeed it was created by an architect so the look and function were really good. The creator sold the rights to BQE, in the process they changed to a web based interface. I'm afraid we are no longer able to recommend it. We have had numerous issues with accuracy and when we call them they say it's a known issue.. They give us a workaround which involves a number of steps which need to be made for every project or invoice. The software was also able to interface with QuickBooks seamlessly. Not anymore we have been told don't even try it, GREAT! So now our bookkeeper takes our hardcopy info and plugs it by hand into Quickbooks. The interface also changed to a less architectural look but that would be the least of our complaints. I'm sure the demos look great Good Luck.

Guillermo Monter-Cervano AIA
    Architect
    Klawiter & Associates
    Los Angeles CA

• 10.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-19-2014 10:11 AM
    Items 2 & 3 are accounting functions. I don't know if you will find a time and billing software package with those functions that is not an accounting software. My firm was the same size and I struggled with exactly the same problem. I tried Ajera, but the conversion from QB was very costly, training expensive, and we ended up converting back to QB.

There are some very cool examples of snapshot reports in the AIA Handbook. They came from an accounting software package that is ridiculously expensive. I ended up having someone write a custom report application that would grab information out of QB and combine it with info in a spreadsheet to create a snapshot like the example in the AIA Handbook. The part that is challenging was that in order to get some of the information you need in the snapshot, it requires data entry from your project managers (e.g. percent of phase/task completion, pending change orders, etc.).

Best of luck to you. When you find a solution that works, please re-post the info!

Gordon Rogers AIA
    EAS Department Executive
    Kitchell CEM, Inc.
    Sacramento CA

• 11.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-20-2014 05:55 PM
    There is another product, Billquick, that interfaces with QB - Billquick does time tracking, project management, and billing; you still do your accounting in QB. I compared it with Ajera when I was researching a few years ago and the pricing of the two was comparable. Perhaps Billquick has become more affordable of late.

http://www.bqe.com/

Betsy Nickless, CDFA
    Mark Scheurer Architect, Inc.
    SDA - Orange County Chapter
    Newport Beach CA

• 12.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-20-2014 11:27 PM
    Betsy:

I used BillQuick in my small architectural firm for several years.  IF all of your contracts call for hourly billing, then BQ is a marginal product.  If, however, your contracts call for anything else---lump sum, percent-complete, etc.---then you will not like this product.  It is clumsy at best, forcing you to constantly manipulate the invoices and reports to give you the look and information that you want and need.  Based on my past experience with BQE's technical support, it seemed that their mission was always to sell me customization services to give me what should have been included in the program to begin with.

A few years ago, I was days away from purchasing ArchiOffice and suddenly learned the BQE had acquired the product.  That stopped me in my tracks.  Now I read other posts in this forum that suggest that BQE's acquisition of ArchiOffice actually resulted in a much less functional product. 

Mike Leinback AIA

• 13.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-21-2014 05:37 PM
    I have three clients (all architecture firms between 8 - 25 people) that just completed independent analyses of software solutions for timecard tracking and invoicing.  They all decided on BillQuick and to continue doing their full accounting on QuickBooks, although the 25-person firm sees this as in interim solution to a fully-integrated package.  At this point, Ajera seemed expensive for this firm (plus, Axium, who makes Ajera, was recently acquired by Deltek so there's some uncertainty about the future of Ajera).  BillQuick does some nice reports but lacks other features.  And each of these firms either has someone on board and/or hired BillQuick to do the initial mapping of fields with QuickBooks, which is key.

ArchiOffice might have some other benefits but it is not a full accounting package and some of their assumptions pertaining to project profitability reports is, for lack of a publishable word, questionable.

Unfortunately, the market size for smaller architecture and engineering firms (less than 20 people) seems like it is too small for a company to develop a fully integrated solution that does time tracking, invoicing, accounting, cash flow projections, staff resourcing, etc.

Michael Strogoff, FAIA
    President
    Strogoff Consulting
    Mill Valley CA

• 14.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-24-2014 02:39 PM
    I've used Arch Administrator since 2000, and have found it to cover all the bases ( it's been around for 20-30 years). It is similar to Archi-Office in functionality, but less expensive and easier to use. You can jump in without having to set up everything in the world, then modify your standards and templates as you go. You can use as much or as little of it as you want.  

Arch Administrator has integrated Time Sheet tracking, Contact and Conversation Management, Project Management and Reporting, AND Staff Resource Scheduler, Document Management including Portfolio Management, a Proposal & Contracts Module, Submittal / Transmittal / Field Report / Meeting Minute Logs/tracking AND Invoices and a pretty robust Accounting Module that closely parallels the functionality of Quickbooks - along with the ability to export/import Quickbooks transactions and import/export Outlook Contacts.  

When I was an 8-person firm all this was invaluable for being able to see all staff correspondence and conversations related to a project, ( including the sub-set of those that required follow up !)  to know if a project was on budget/on track or not (with or without DPE or OH+P markups/factors), to track our reimbursable engineering consultant expenses, find all contacts related to a project, etc etc etc - all from shared up-to-the minute data regardless of which staff member input the info. In the beginning.

We did not use the accounting functions other than invoicing (based on the timesheets) which we would then duplicate in Quickbooks, but since 2000 the accounting functionality of Arch Administrator has grown considerably to include pretty much everything QuickBooks does.

The developer / owner of the software, Paul Smialowitz (sp?) is an architect who, way back when, needed these tools for himself, but now he has become a full-time software provider. What's great about Paul is that he is very personable, he provides tech support AND you can get ahold of him on the phone ! He takes suggestions for future releases and he cares. The software is an application based on the Lotus Approach Database so it's very portable and easy to install etc 

I still use it as a two-person firm. I believe Arch Administrator is in use by architects in +/- 40 states including larger firms with multiple offices   Definitely worth checking out.  www.psss.com  888-748-7166   P.S. I don't work for them, I just love the product and the guy behind it.

Mark Connors AIA
    Architectural InSite, Inc
    Stroudsburg PA

• 15.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-25-2014 05:55 PM
    We have tried a small gamut of financial/project management softwares over 22 years, starting with Sema4 in the early '90's. It was a superb product that did everything we wanted, quite easily and economically. Unfortunately, Sema4 was acquired by Deltek. After about 3 years of decreasing support, we were forced to either switch to Vision or change vendors. We chose to migrate ALL of our history to Vision. It was a very painful, phenomenally expensive 6-month process.

That said, Vision was a pretty good system once we were able to get valid information out of it. But, Deltek is ever hungry for more revenue. After a couple of years we were frustrated by increasing prices with no improvement in the product so we made the decision to jump to Ajera.

This time, we rolled up a lot of data and started with only about 200 projects worth of history. The Ajera support team was really good. We were up and running in less than a week. We like the interface better and find that most of the useful reports are readily available without customization. It is still an expensive product compared to QB but it does everything that we want: AP, AR, billing, timesheets, expense accounting, resource scheduling, consultant commitment management, project progress reports, etc. We can easily tell how fast we are going broke. The only function that we sort of miss is the CRM component of Vision. 

Still, the Deltek beast continues to prowl. As noted earlier, Ajera has sold out to Deltek. Even though we are very happy with Ajera and recommend it to others, it's only a matter of time until Deltek prices us out again. Thanks for the tips on other choices.

William McCord AIA
    President
    WKMC Architects, Inc.
    Corpus Christi TX

• 16.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-21-2014 10:47 PM
    I am a small firm of 5 employees. I have been using BillQuick for years now.  Between QB and BQE, I can run all the reports I need. Since we are cash basis, I found using the time tracking features in QB frequently messed up my cash basis turning it quickly into an accrual basis.  Keeping QB and BQE separate allows me to have staff work on the BQE program, while I can manage the cash flow. I have popped for the Gold Level Support and it has been worth every dime.  Whenever there is the smallest problem, the support group works to resolve it.  In fact, the are very open to suggestions to improve the software.  There is a wealth of information you can extract from the reports.  I would recommend using BQE. It is a program that was specifically developed for the billing needs of an architect.

Renee Doktorczyk FAIA, CCS, CSI, SCIP
    President
    ArchiTech Consulting Inc.
    Mt Prospect IL

• 17.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-20-2014 06:26 PM
    Mark, I posted a response a few days ago, but it appears to have not gotten through for some reason.  I am responding again for your consideration.

As an architect/management consultant for more than 40 years, my experience with the issue of time-tracking is initially more about accurately capturing time spent and the impact of not being diligent and disciplined in this process.  In our industry, no one enjoys filling out a timesheet, least of all principals. Nevertheless, inaccurate time-tracking will have a compounded, negative impact, over time, on future project revenue and potential profitability and a firm's financial metrics.

As for time-tracking software, the previously mentioned Arch-office from BQE Software and the software used by Base Builders are two that I am familiar with, at a more reasonable cost than any of the current 'big 3 A-E Software systems.

Also, please refer to my comments on this subject in Chapter 7, page 421, of the Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice, 15th Edition.  In that chapter are other options that address some of your other project and financial management concerns, with sample templates and lots of explanations.

I wish you well in your research for the material you seek for your firm.
    Respectfully,

Steve L. Wintner, AIA Emeritus
    Founder-Principal
    Management Consulting Services
    Georgetown, TX 78633-5712

• 18.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-19-2014 04:19 PM

Although my firm is smaller, I have easily used QuickBooks Pro for up to 6 employees for the items you mention.  It is much less error prone to use it for invoices and payments than anything by hand. I have not used the individual time sheet function, but I believe that is available as well.  Forecasting of a sort is doable through the estimates.  I  would be happy to discuss how to make it work by phone after this week at 508-746-4646.
    Lester Lloyd AIA
    Principal
    Lloyd Architects
    Plymouth MA

• 19.  RE: Time tracking and reporting

Posted 08-21-2014 06:12 PM

We use Praesto AE by BaseBuilders. It interfaces with filemaker and uses filemaker server - so works on both mac and windows seamlessly. It also interfaces with Quickbooks for accounting transfers. We started with Archioffice but found too many bugs and problems. Since the switch 2 years ago, we have not had a problem.
    Jeff

Jeffrey Horton AIA
    Vice President
    Herron Horton Architects, Inc.
    Little Rock AR