Practice Management Member Conversations

• 1.  Tax on architectural services?

Posted 07-21-2015 02:35 PM
    My firm is in Arizona but my partner is registered in New Mexico, so we recently received a request to provide a proposal for a project there. It is my understanding that New Mexico is one of the few States that taxes professional services. Can anyone share their experience? Is design work done in Arizona for a project in New Mexico taxable? In the short term all I need to know if we need to account for the tax in our proposal. I am aware that if we get the proposal and the tax is applicable to our work we need to consult an accountant for real advice. Thanks.

-------------------------------------------
    Yumiko Ishida AIA
    Architect
    Athena Studio
    Phoenix AZ

• 2.  RE: Tax on architectural services?

Posted 07-22-2015 05:31 PM
    This is not quite relevant, but similar, years ago, when I had a practice in New York and performed professional services on projects in Connecticut, I was charged taxes on the fees received for the work designed in Connecticut.
    Thanks, Mark

Mark Smith AIA
    Vice President
    Gobbell Hays Partners, Inc.
    Palm Beach Gardens FL

• 3.  RE: Tax on architectural services?

Posted 07-24-2015 09:16 AM
    South Dakota also requires that sales tax be collected on professional services....or at least did 7 years ago when we had a senior housing project there. In that case (oddly) the tax was based on our client's office location in Sioux Falls while the project was an hour away in Mitchell (home of the Corn Palace). We registered as a foreign corporation with their Dept. Of Revenue and submitted quarterly reports on fees collected. The tax rate was calculated with local option sales tax, so it differed from city to city, which is why the location mattered. Wasn't brain surgery, but certainly a cost of doing business there that was incorporated into our fees. Good luck. ------------------------------------------- Peter Franks AIA The Franks Design Group, P.C. Glenwood IA -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Tax on architectural services?

Posted 07-22-2015 05:37 PM
    NM does not tax, or did not based on my experience, professional services if provided from out of state, or by an out of state firm.  They only tax professionals for work performed by an in-state firm. This has been an issue for NM firms for a long time. However as you noted you will want to consult an accountant or attorney

Christopher Larsen AIA
    Principal
    PGAL
    Las Vegas NV

• 5.  RE: Tax on architectural services?

Posted 07-22-2015 05:44 PM
    I recommend you contact the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department to ask your question.

1100 South St. Francis Drive
    Santa Fe, NM 87504
    (505) 827-0700

http://www.tax.newmexico.gov/all-nm-taxes.aspx

Larry Whitlock AIA, CSI/CCS/CCCA, NCARB
    An Independent Architectural Specifications Consultant
    Pflugerville TX

• 6.  RE: Tax on architectural services?

Posted 07-23-2015 01:38 PM

Hi Yamiko,

In an attempt to answer your question, If the Architect performs the services in New Mexico they would be subject to NMGRT.  If the services are performed in Arizona they would not be subject to NMGRT.  Basically, any trips to NM that result in time and expenses being charged to the client for the trip would be subject to NMGRT.  If they did everything from Arizona and nothing was done in New Mexico they would not add NMGRT to their invoices.  This does not address any potential state income tax issues.   I would suggest that you consult with your CPA and/or tax attorney for confirmation of my understanding of the New Mexico Taxes on professional services, just to follow the letter of the law.   We use REDW for our CPA firm and would be happy to give you their number and a contact if you would like.   Hope this gives you an understanding of New Mexico's tax laws. 

Van Gilbert FAIA
    Van H. Gilbert Architect PC
    Albuquerque NM

• 7.  RE: Tax on architectural services?

Posted 07-24-2015 06:07 PM
    Hi Yamiko,

Van Gilbert has responded with excellent advice and consistent with my understanding except for just one point. To help you understand more I can suggest that the only thing you need to remember is to keep in mind that NMGRT is invoiced to your client based on the location (city/county/unincorporated land in NM) of services performed. As a design professional it will be your office location where you designed the project. As a construction professional the rate is based on the actual construction site location. As an out of state design professional it is my understanding that you will be invoicing your client at 5.125% NMGRT based on the current NMGRT rates.

Hope this helps!

My $0.02 :)

Joe Payyapilly, AIA, NCARB
    Principal Architect
    AZ Facilities Architecture, LLC
    Chandler, Arizona

• 8.  RE: Tax on architectural services?

Posted 07-23-2015 06:18 PM
    WA state charges a tax based on total revenue for all A/E projects to be built in WA.
       If the project is in WA, all A/E firms have to pay it, regardless of where their office is.
       If the project is not in WA, WA-based A/E firms do not have to pay any tax.
    So, the 'playing field' is flat.
    If you submit, and include any allowance for taxes in a fee proposal, try to make sure everyone else has, also, including your subs.
    However, if the owner is using QBS (quality-based selection), as you should hope they do, fees - and the tax question - do not come up until later.

Good luck.
    Mike Webber
    A/E Finance
    801 67th St.
    Downers Grove, IL 60516 USA
    C 1-630.732.5423   O 1-630.963.5423