Housing and Community Development

Expand all | Collapse all

Wood flooring, Teak, maintainence of

• 1.  Wood flooring, Teak, maintainence of

Posted 04-20-2015 03:18 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Housing Knowledge Community and Technology in Architectural Practice .
    -------------------------------------------
    My research says clean if necessary with white vinegar dilution, and apply Teak oil.
    Have received other finish suggestions. Desire sustainable and enviro friendly practice.
    Floor is 2 years old, seasonal Sailing club, semi-commercial use factor.
    It's a rather pedestrian question would like to hear from those with experience.
    Thanks you.

Robert De Santis AIA
    Middletown NJ

• 2.  RE: Wood flooring, Teak, maintainence of

Posted 04-21-2015 08:58 PM
    Hi folks ---

While I've never used teak flooring, if I had the need / opportunity, I'd definitely start w/ nautical sources.  Check Navy manuals, yacht builders, and especially yacht rehab. / restoration / maintenance shops.  Teak is a daily fact-of-life with these folks...  Ask, about prep, maintenance, enclosed / indoor consideraltions, etc.  

Also, I think folks in some warm-latitude countries do use teak in buildings?

All this, of course, in conjunction with consulting with FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) on responsible sourcing.  Actually, FSC might have sources on "care & handling".  Teak and ye shall find...

Thanks ---
    Bill

William Devlin AIA
    William J. Devlin, AIA, Inc.
    Springfield MA