Housing and Community Development

• 1.  Tiny Houses as a solution to the affordable housing crisis.

Posted 03-24-2015 07:43 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Committee on Design and Housing Knowledge Community .
    -------------------------------------------
    Hello,

I am a residential architect living in a solar-powered Airstream Tiny House.  Here in California, we are experiencing a housing boom that is completely unaffordable for most of the middle class.  I see the Tiny House movement as one possible solution for this issue. Even though the State of California requires a percentage of "affordable" housing units in every county and city, state and local laws and regulations are in conflict with each other and prevent counting Tiny Houses as affordable housing.  This indirectly prevents the creation of affordable Tiny House Villages.  Local cities and counties have their own prejudices with regard to "affordable housing" and are discriminating against the acceptance and creation of any solution related to this model.  I am seeking support though the AIA to identify, confront and resolve this pattern of discrimination so that we can have access to as many solutions to the affordable housing crisis as possible.  Please contact me if you can refer me to others working on this issue, either privately, locally on on the state level.

Thanks,

David Ludwig
    Sausalito CA

• 2.  RE: Tiny Houses as a solution to the affordable housing crisis.

Posted 03-24-2015 08:03 PM
    This is becoming a global discussion as well. We see architects looking for solutions of more affordable housing units and energy efficiency buildings! I would like to get other people's ideas as well! ------------------------------------------- Bardhyl Rama Intl. Assoc. AIA Operations Supervisor AST Balkans Prishtine -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Tiny Houses as a solution to the affordable housing crisis.

Posted 03-25-2015 10:38 PM
    I think to build affordable housing, is not the size the factor, but the construction process.
    I have done prefabrication, which can lower the cost a lot by using machinery, the constrain is the market, the production needs to be according with the demand.  Also I have done several houses with rammed earth, which is the material cost free and highly insulated, the labor was by the users of the house; I build several with a group of future owners, they work with out know who will own such house, it keeps them working from start to finish.   A masonry concrete process make a very substantial production of houses, I use 25 sets of formwork to deliver 25 houses a day at very low cost.
    Presently I am working in a tuned up of the masonry concrete, by using reinforced concrete in a fashion which foundation, walls and roof becoming a monolithic structure with walls and roof minimum R56.
    Information by email, upon request.  eugenioaburtoarch@hotmail.com

Eugenio Aburto AIA
    architect
    Eugenio Aburto, AIA
    Palm Desert CA

• 4.  RE: Tiny Houses as a solution to the affordable housing crisis.

Posted 03-25-2015 06:08 PM
    Salt Lake City has wrestled with the adoption of an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) ordinance for years. When first proposed, it was met with opposition from the wealthier neighborhoods on the grounds that it increases parking, traffic and crime. Eventually, the Ordinance passed with the stipulation that the property be within 1/4 mile of a light rail station...bus stops do not count. As such, this excludes many areas in town that would benefit from these units.
    Years ago, many older neighborhoods  allowed small apartments above detached garages. This no longer allowed.
    We have a very progressive Mayor who is an Urban Planner. I am certain he has seen these small home cluster developments and would be in favor of seeing these in our urban areas. It's the mindset of the citizen's and perhaps the Real Estate community that will need to change.

Vincent Oles
    Salt Lake City UT

• 5.  RE: Tiny Houses as a solution to the affordable housing crisis.

Posted 03-25-2015 06:33 PM

David -

I live in Palo Alto and work up and down the peninsula. Many policies and ordinances conflict with each other and are very frustrating. I'd be happy to participate in whatever program you have in mind.
    Judith Wasserman AIA
    Judith Wasserman AIA
    Bressack & Wasserman
    Palo Alto CA

• 6.  RE: Tiny Houses as a solution to the affordable housing crisis.

Posted 03-25-2015 07:23 PM
    Vancouver, BC has a robust growth of alley-way tiny houses following the change of zoning laws in some areas of Vancouver and North Vancouver. It really can work. I'd like to see more of it was a way to increase density in already urbanized areas.

Loraine DeBelser AIA
    Technical Director - AE Content
    GRS | Corteq
    North Vancouver BC