Historic Resources Committee

• 1.  Sources for 1960s acoustical ceiling tiles

Posted 12-11-2014 01:23 PM

We're searching for a modest quantity of replacements for missing and damaged square-edged tongue and groove fissured pattern 12" x 12" (nominal) tiles that were installed between 1961 and 1965. Current products that have been located do not have the same fissure pattern and are not of precisely the same dimensions. Custom manufacturing does not appear to be a practical or feasible option. Salvaged tiles and old stock appear to be the only chance we have left. We welcome your ideas and suggestions.
    -------------------------------------------
    Peyton Hall FAIA
    Managing Principal
    Historic Resources Group
    Pasadena CA
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 2.  RE: Sources for 1960s acoustical ceiling tiles

Posted 12-12-2014 06:03 PM
    I would contact your Armstrong Representative for your region directly, or go to the Armstrong National office.  Armstrong has a recycling program where old tiles are returned to be broken back down into the mineral slop to manufacture new tiles.  I went on a tour of their facility which was very impressive.  I recommend that should it become an option.  Perhaps they can keep an eye out for your vintage tile in the recycling bins?

Either that, or don't sweat the small fissures and don't uplight the ceiling.  Other than Architects, who looks up anyway?  #ilookup.org

Philip Mitropoulos AIA
    Firm Owner/Architect
    Mitropoulos Architects
    Douglaston NY

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 3.  RE: Sources for 1960s acoustical ceiling tiles

Posted 12-13-2014 08:13 AM

Jan Kalas AIA
    Thornton Tomasetti, Inc.