Committee on Design

• 1.  Goals

Posted 01-29-2015 10:50 AM
    Hello Committee,

1) You will see multiple copies of the message I sent last night. My response was crafted on my iPhone.  The AIA website server sent me error messages for each of the five times I tried to post the message. I could not/did not know the message was registered.  I stopped after the fifth attempt.

2) Also, Mr. Robert Smith's comment, to which I responded, has not been posted on the website.  It is:
    "Is it just me or does anyone else's eyes glaze over when they read Mr. Hosack's posts?  They seem to decay into gibberish very quickly."

Robert Smith AIA
    Okemos MI

-------------------------------------------
    William Singer AIA
    Ronnette Riley Architect
    New York NY
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 2.  RE: Goals

Posted 01-30-2015 05:48 PM
    I would just say that we learn from everyone's viewpoint and stories.  To not continually learn from those who are willing to share is a sad commentary.

I appreciate Walter's willingness to post, and I hope he will continue to do so.  We, as a profession, might not always agree, but the discussion is important.

Walter Hainsfurther FAIA
    Kurtz Associates Architects
    Des Plaines IL

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 3.  RE: Goals

Posted 02-02-2015 05:58 PM
    I've  posted privately on this topic both to Mr. Hosack and to his  supporters and detractors. As a member  of the  latter  category I have to say that the  only  things we are  learning from Mr Hosack is that he has a compulsion bordering on obsession to use arcane  jargon that seems to be entirely his own and no one  else's.  What seems to be an effort to demonstrate intellectual superiority with this  jargon, serves only to obfuscate and suggest the exact opposite.  

Having  said this I cannot argue with those supporting Mr Hosack's right to share his views in this forum.  I don't hope that  he will continue  to do so, but I have learned my  lesson.  Just say no.

Eugene Ely AIA, LEED AP

San Jose, CA

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 4.  RE: Goals

Posted 02-03-2015 06:32 PM

Rick Rados AIA
    Tampa FL
    Cheers!  The key words of your post are "Hosack" and "obfuscate" unfortunately this obfuscation has moved us off topic.

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 5.  RE: Goals

Posted 02-04-2015 11:11 AM
    Bang. Mr. Ely just hit the nail squarely on the head.

Since my original question, many have replied privately that they are also strongly in "the Emperor has no clothes" camp and have learned to simply hit 'delete' when they notice the author's name. Some suggested that I do the same. One mentioned that they experience a response similar to witnessing a massive pile-up on the freeway - they have a strong desire to slow down and search the tangled mess for any sign of intelligent life - only to be disappointed prior to moving on. I think the latter more accurately describes my previous reactions. 

My original underlying concern was based on a fear that this forum might foolishly give credence to such gibberish and similar wording or statements might somehow creep into AIA published position papers. I believe such jargon only serves to convince lay-people that the AIA is out of touch with reality and can not effectively communicate or work with common clients in solving real world problems. As such, I believe it was an appropriate post for the "Goals" topic.

While I totally agree with the comments that the forum should be open to any and all comments, our ultimate goal should always be to communicate clearly to the general public and others.

Now, I will take my own advice and move on.

Robert Smith AIA
    Okemos MI

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 6.  RE: Goals

Posted 02-05-2015 05:47 PM
    Robert:

I want to add to what you said.  

I have previously supported Mr. Hosack's right to publish his thoughts.  I hope that it will facilitate a discussion about the substance, not necessarily the style.  That being said, as a profession we too often lapse into things we get stereotyped about.  I've posted on this in response to presentations made by members of the AIA's Culture Collaborative.  

I would suggest that it is better for us, as a profession, to start talking in a language that mere mortals can understand, especially prospective clients.  Jargonism makes it very hard for anyone, including fellow architects, to relate to what the heck we're saying.  

Second, let's stop navel gazing and realize that, for a large number of us, we depend on others to earn a living.  Let's start relating to them.  The market is changing, and we need to anticipate what clients are willing to pay for.  To do that, I believe we need to understand and use the language they speak, rather than Architectese.

Walter Hainsfurther FAIA
    Kurtz Associates Architects
    Des Plaines IL

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 7.  RE: Goals

Posted 02-06-2015 05:44 PM
    Hi there,
    I personally love Mr. Hosack's writings and get a lot out of them.  He is a well respected lecturer too and we are getting his words for free on here!   Wouldn't it be simplest to just ignore the posts if one is not interested?
    I don't have a problem with archi-speak when it is in an architecture forum.  But I agree with Walter that it is better to talk plain to laypersons.
    Cheers, 

Arielle Schechter AIA
    Chapel Hill NC

2024 HRC Taliesin West