Committee on Design

Expand all | Collapse all

Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

• 1.  Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 12-20-2012 07:25 AM
    I AGREE with Lee Brennan AIA of Culver City when he says:

"1. Perhaps one solution is fewer lawyers and more architects should be running for Congress, State houses, etc. Showing how problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future.
    2. Maybe the AIA should be spending more time focusing on how we as problem solvers meet our communities needs and less time worrying about risk aversion. Unfortunately the latter has only boxed us into a corner and is in the process of making us irrelevant."

-------------------------------------------
    Susan Herre AIA AICP
    Transportation Planner
    US DOT Federal Railroad Administration
    Washington DC
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 2.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 12-21-2012 08:45 AM

Claudio Veliz AIA
    Owner/Architect
    Claudio Veliz Architect PLLC
    Chester VT

We-ell...yes. To us mice, this is compelling. We are Problem Solvers. But mothers will hear this and say to themselves "I just changed my child's diapers, I guess I'm a problem solver, too." Humbly, I might suggest a bit of classic Amerikansky public relations. The Republicans do it, the Democrats do it, even "the funny little monkeys in the Zoo do it...": rebrand our value to the human condition.

How many surgeons have marketing campaigns struggling to convince society of their value?

How many attorneys struggle to convey to society their worth?

Nah...it doesn't happen. Why? Because their function is self evident. But when was the last time someone had an Architecture Emergency? "Quick, maestro! - You simply must help me...the proportions of this wing of the building are just wrong!"

Though I make light above, the point, I hope, is conveyed. Our function is slower, longer, more subtle, but it becomes a fundamental contributor to all the other professions and aspects of civilization. Full stop.

Once that is conveyed successfully, and perhaps this is a fundamental responsibility of our very own AIA, we will need little in the way of lobby groups.

Claudio

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 3.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 12-24-2012 09:40 AM
    Well written! Within the last couple of years, there has been a commercial on tv, I believe for a prescription drug. It shows a doctor on stage poorly playing a violin or a doctor trying to use a jackhammer on a construction site. The tag line was "your doctor doesn't do your job...".

There have been many discussions through the AIA lately (and rightly so) about how to reposition ourselves and promote our value - all something I wholeheartedly agree with. But I think that we should look at the other professions and see what they are struggling with.

Doctors must now compete with diy diagnosis via the internet.
    Realtors must compete with forsalebyowner websites and "sell your own home" packages.
    Even lawyers have lost a little business to legalzoom.com.
    I heard from a massage therapist lately that they are required to have more continuing ed hours each year than some people in medical professions.
    We all know a teacher and there's a general public campaign out there to pay teachers more and appreciate them more.

I think if we take a look at other careers and professions we'll find all kinds of people who feel that their career is belittled and misunderstood in similar ways to how we all feel about architecture.

I think that we should analyze what these other professions are or are not doing to promote their expertise and learn from them then apply those tactics to our own profession so we can start dispelling the myths out there about what it is we do.

Brenda Nelson Assoc. AIA
    Woodruff Design, LLC
    Ankeny IA

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 4.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 12-25-2012 01:55 PM
    Happy Holidays!

When we function as architects "of and FOR the people", and that means humanity in general, not just a privileged few who, bless them, often have been mentors of some great works - then as my other colleagues already said, more business likely will follow.

In my view if architects offer their work from deeply-felt passionate intentions, while truly listening to our clients with an understanding of how the basis of design scopes can be expressed through responsive sets of constuctible forms and functionality rather than an over-arching need to make iconic "statements" (usually for publishing and posterity) - than just perhaps that might help us during these very challenging times.

There is no doubt over-excessive regulations and a plethora of technology do distract and constrict our daily routines, yet in addition provide needed support and enhancement to the practice of architecture.  Its a dance we have to engage in...or give up (not an option unless a better calling awaits us).

Steven Gottesman AIA
    Senior Architect
    URS Corporation
    Sacramento CA

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 5.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 12-24-2012 03:09 PM
    Architects are trained to be generalists which does give us a problem solving ability that should be utilized for the public good! That being said,  I think that most architects tend to be outwardly be A-political which is our double edge sword, best for working with a variety of clients but holds us back when it comes to seeking a public/political position.
    As to the task of getting our message out there, I agree that we are guilty of not utilizing PR to the extent needed to keep us in the public eye. Small and medium practices seem to be less willing to make the PR investment possibly due to a misconception that we need to engage a professional to get it done,not so! The organization, Society for Marketing Professional Services, SMPS, is just one of many organizations out there for any size practice to join and participate in their activities. Plus don't overlook trade associations, they are a terrific source for unique commissions! 

James Sterling AIA
    Calabasas CA

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 6.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 12-24-2012 05:27 PM

If a much more significant percentage of our profession aligned its purpose with values percieved to be important to society, designed its practices to deliver on that purpose and consistently performed at a reasonably high level, the brand for design would be more sucessful in all ways.
    Architects in particular have some advantages already in being percieved as ethical, but too few practices consistently look to add value to society in the terms that society values most. Yet there are notable exceptions which provide helpful lessons. We must get beyond (but not abandon) the concerns we were taught to focus on in design school and use design as a tool to advance our clients' and societies interests in a meaningful way if we want real relevance Yes this  is hard. Or we can remain aloof from all that and stick within our comfort zone.
    James Jonassen FAIA
    Seattle WA

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 7.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 01-03-2013 01:35 PM
    I post on the blog because I can edit the text, but my post entitled, "The Nature of Architecture", is a response to this entire thread. We've all had years of criticism and we're supposed to consider it constructive. I would read the Yahoo article from that perspective. I always considered the constructive part that which I agreed with after ample time for recovery and reflection.  

Walter Hosack
    Author
    Walter M. Hosack
    Dublin OH

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 8.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 01-04-2013 10:18 AM
    There was another article recently about creative degrees from Forbes (more reputable than yahoo i think) which had actual fact and studies showing that a "creative class" was more recession proof. And i have to agree, i see a lot of architects and recent grads who may not be able to find and architecture job excelling in other creative areas. they might not have a job as an architect because of the recession, but they have a job. and usually its a good enough job that they move into that profession. 

Some of the comments here also talked about the perception of Architecture. I think our profession will start to decline more if we do not change the perception of what we do. i believe the AIA should do a better job marketing our profession. just like lawyers and doctors. Doctors are a good example, there are no commercials for a particular doctor but there are hundreds  for drugs, treatments, and hospitals. all of them telling you to go see your doctor for more information.  And if you talk to anyone and they understand the role of a doctor, nurse and pharmacist. they know how the profession works. no one says ,' you should have a nurse look at that', but whenever you talk to anyone about a building they tell you you should talk to a  contractor.  perhaps this is more for residential construction but it it goes to the point that people have no idea what we do. and its people who own bushiness and cooperation. so the same people having there penthouse remodeled by a contractor is the same person who might be building a new office tower. if he does not understand the value of an architect for his home, he also does not understand for his office tower. yes he will have to hire an architect because its the law, but that not the point. He should want to hire the architect. 

Robert Cervellione
    Principle
    Cerver Design Studio

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 9.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 01-07-2013 01:38 PM
    Mr Cervellione comments that people think they should talk to a  contractor when they're considering a building project and attributes this tendency to the fact people don't understand what it is that architects do.  
    I agree that people  think of  contractors  first when it  comes to consulting about a  building project, but I'm afraid the problem isn't not knowing about architects' expertise but a lack of faith in architects' expertise in the primary areas that concern anyone contemplating a building project: cost, schedule, and constructability.  In my experience architects are notoriously weak in cost estimating and  the  technical aspects  of  putting a building together.  These factors are key in any owner's mind when contemplating a risky venture like a new building, and architects have lost a huge amount of credibility in this  arena.  
    If you want to change the  world with your creative  addition to the built environment you better be prepared to get down and dirty in the trenches, do your homework, and establish your street cred in the  aspects of  the work that concern owners.  A recent study cited empathy as a key factor in being a  successful architect, this study was coming at it from a design perspective in the sense of understanding client needs to arrive at a successful design solution.  If you're not also empathetic to a client's pocketbook and earn his/her trust in this most sensitive area, your great design is likely to be  handed  over to  a  contractor with the direction to "git 'er done" and you'll be on the outside looking  in.

Eugene Ely AIA, LEED AP
    Architect-in-Waiting
    San Jose, CA

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 10.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 01-07-2013 04:59 PM
    Thanks for the reference Robert; always welcome to see facts in support of an argument.  Here's another research study that found a direct correlation between Architecture and Design Education and Economic Growth, by the Center for and Urban Future.   The report reveals that New York City graduates more than twice as many students in design and architecture as any other city in the country and finds that the city's leading design schools-including Parsons The New School for Design, the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), Pratt Institute and the School of Visual Arts (SVA)-have become critical catalysts for innovation, entrepreneurship and economic growth.

http://www.nycfuture.org/images_pdfs/pdfs/DesigningNYsFuture.pdf

To me, one key is be clear about the real world 'after school', so that students are not being led down a rosy path of thinking they will find fame and fortune as Starchitects.  In conducting it's wide ranging Repositioning research over the last year, the AIA found that the public respects and admires architects generally - but for their expertise in construction knowledge, codes and permit processing.  

Most architects surveyed thought the public is most interested in their design innovation.  

Michael Malinowski AIA
    AIA Director - California Region
    Applied Architecture, Inc.
    Sacramento CA

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 11.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 01-07-2013 05:21 PM

Evidently taken from here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0374291357/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0374291357&linkCode=as2&tag=spacforrent-20

The following jobs have the highest rate of psychopaths, according to Dutton's research:

1. Chief Executive Officer
    2. Lawyer
    3. Media (Television/Radio)
    4. Salesperson
    5. Surgeon
    6. Journalist
    7. Police officer
    8. Clergy person
    9. Chef
    10. Civil servant

It shouldn't be a shocker that professions that require empathy or emotion had a lower rate of psychopaths. According to Dutton, these professions have the lowest rate of psychopaths.

1. Care aide
    2. Nurse
    3. Therapist
    4. Craftsperson
    5. Beautician or stylist
    6. Charity worker
    7. Teacher
    8. Creative artist
    9. Doctor
    10. Accountant

FWIW.  I underlined the phrase about empathy.

Ken Brogno AIA
    Architect AIA LEED AP
    San Francisco CA

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 12.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 01-08-2013 12:04 PM

Ken,

The string has gotten confusing with two titles. I'm not sure what article you're assuming, but the article I was referring to was noted by James Walbridge, AIA. The citation and credit is included below. The string was entitled, "RE: Another negative reinforcement article on the worthlessness of architecture". The response that caught my eye was from Claudio Velez regarding "problems".

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/degrees_to_avoid2.htm?kid=1NQM0

James Walbridge AIA
    President
    Tekton Architecture
    San Francisco CA

PS:

The note from Michael Malinowski, AIA regarding recent research confirms what many have suspected for a long time. Architectural priorities do not match client priorities. I would argue that the architectural priority list needs expansion as well, since it is not clear that architecture protects the public interest from client abuse. In my opinion, practice improvement (architecture) and public service (city design) are worthy objectives along the road to a professional goal of public benefit.

Walter Hosack
    Author
    Walter M. Hosack
    Dublin OH

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 13.  RE:Problem solvers and creativity energy are what this country needs in order to innovate in the future

Posted 01-10-2013 11:45 AM
    Since part of this discussion was started as a reference to an article which stated that a degree in architecture was a waste of time. I thought I would post a link to an article I found today which highlights some careers fields where I think architects would excel. In particular #1 and #4 of this list. In fact...aren't architects #4 by default?

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-3220-Job-Info-and-Trends-The-5-most-in-demand-creative-jobs/?SiteId=cbmsn43220&sc_extcmp=JS_3220_advice

Brenda Nelson Assoc. AIA
    Woodruff Design, LLC
    Ankeny IA

2024 HRC Taliesin West