Public Interest Design

• 1.  DC Public Interest Design Institute

Posted 01-18-2015 03:03 PM
    Over the previous two days, I was at the DC Public Interest Design Institute, where current best projects and best practices were presented to teach methods of how Public Interest Design can be more meaningful and profitable in our own work. It was an awesome and highly rewarding experience and I look forward to implementing SEED strategies on future projects!

-------------------------------------------
    Patrick Williams AIA
    Principal
    Workshop for High Performance Architecture
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: DC Public Interest Design Institute

Posted 01-21-2015 02:58 PM
    Thanks for posting, Patrick.  I was also in attendance, along with about 50+ more professionals from across the east coast.

For anyone who might be interested in attending future PID Institutes, please follow the below link.  Tons of great educational content, and some great project case studies and testimonials from firm leaders who make PID part of their core business.

http://www.publicinterestdesign.com/ 

Upcoming events are occurring in Texas (2!), Iowa, Michigan and Pennsylvania

Scott Cryer AIA
    Architect
    Westlake Reed Leskosky
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: DC Public Interest Design Institute

Posted 01-22-2015 01:05 PM
    I, also, was at the DC Public Interest Design Institute and I greatly appreciate all the inspiring work that the speakers shared with all of us. Projects of various scales and functions were discussed, in addition to having a diverse group of speakers, and attendees from different backgrounds.

Below is a summary of what attendees and speakers told us in their evaluations about how well we met our learning objectives.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How well did we meet your expectations and provide value to you?

Please evaluate how successfully the Public Interest Design Training met your expectations for each of the following.

"5" is highly successfully?"3" is successfully?"1" is unsuccessfully

Average Score      Learning Objective
    4.1 Pro-actively finding new clients and public interest design projects
    4.2 Learning about new fee sources and structures
    4.3 Using a step-by-step process of working with a community as a design partner
    4.2 Leveraging other partners and assets to address project challenges
    4.4 Maximizing a project's positive impact on a community
    4.2 Moving beyond LEED to measure the social, economic, and environmental impact on communities
    4.5 Understanding public interest design and how is it re-shaping the design professions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -Rasha Dumarieh
    Design Corps | Fellow
    Raleigh, NC

• 4.  RE:DC Public Interest Design Institute

Posted 01-26-2015 10:54 AM

These learning objectives are from the 2011 Latrobe Prize research I conducted with David Perkes, Sergio Palleroni and Robera Feldman. The question we asked the AIA membership was "what would you need to learn in order to have a successful practice in public interest design?" These were the top responses and they formed the basis for these training sessions. Next one will be hosted by bcWORKSHOP. More info at www.public interest design.com.
    Bryan Bell Assoc. AIA
    Design Corps
    Raleigh NC

• 5.  RE: DC Public Interest Design Institute

Posted 01-26-2015 04:37 PM
    Hi Patrick -

I was also at the Public Interest Design Institute workshop in DC last week. It really was an inspiring two days. I was especially intrigued by the range of ways that people are participating in public interest design. For a long time, I thought that work like this was strictly done on a volunteer basis with architects and designers doing work for free in their off-hours, but this couldn't be any further from the truth. Many of the speakers at the workshop were implementing public interest design as a part of their firms core mission and on everyday projects. There are still a lot of challenges in the field in regards to making this a fully-sustainable business model, but where there are challenges, there are opportunities. Looking forward to see what develops.

Mark Palmer AIA
    RTKL Associates Inc.
    Washington DC