International Committee

• 1.  Practice in Shanghai - Sequential Tendering

Posted 03-03-2014 03:59 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: International Committee and Young Architects Forum .
    -------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I'd like to know if anyone has the experience in doing design projects in Shanghai. I'm curious: Is sequential tendering allowed in the construction industry in Shanghai? I have heard the Chinese law prohibits a project to be subdivided into separate bid-build 'packages'. But after the Olympics and the Expo and so many foreign architects built in Shanghai and Beijing, and Gensler is building a big tower along Pudong as we speak, could someone educate me on this? How'd a project be carried through there?

Much appreciated.

• 2.  RE:Practice in Shanghai - Sequential Tendering

Posted 03-05-2014 12:40 PM

I have worked on projects in Shanghai, Beijing, Xiamen, Shenyang and Chongqing.

In general, the Authorities in China primarily deal with the owner's project company instead of the architect, be it local design institute or foreign architect. For permitting purposes, like all other countries, you need the local design institute's stamp on the drawing as the architect of record. Other than permit drawings, bid set is also reviewed by a statutory body called 招标办 prior to bid. The bid process in China context as far as I know is undertaken by the owner's project company.

Foreign architect can be the design consultant for the project for the entire project cycle but the scope of service is very much between the owner and their foreign architect. Cost is the issue not regulation. A typical arrangement is to for the foreign firm to take the lead from concept to design development (DD) stage and for the local design institute to take the lead from construction documentation to close-out. Some even stop their involvement at DD stage. The danger of doing so is- compromises tend to take place after DD that prevent if not completely destroy the original design intent from being carried through to completion. So if possible, it is advisable to have continued involvement through to completion. It could be in the form of construction document review at 30%, 60%, 90%, review of selected shop drawings and bi-weekly or monthly site visit just to ensure the design intent is maintained. I have done projects where we did even construction documentation and monthly site visit and full shop drawing review but it takes a very enlightened client to understand the value of such service and is prepared to pay for it.

I am not sure what exactly do you mean by sequential tendering. What I do know is sub-sub-contracting is banned. ie A sub-contractor who had won a nominated sub-contract cannot further sub-contract the work out to someone else thereby making them mere middle men. I would imagine a consultancy firm who had won a design project probably is also banned from sub-contract the work to other consultancy. is that what you are referring to?

The above is the typical situation in the traditional design-bid-build process. Design & build is another matter altogether and I am not sure it is that prevalent in China. As I have not done one in China, I will leave it to others who have done it to comment.

Hope the above helps.

Geok Ser Lee Intl. Assoc. AIA
    Owner
    GSLA
    Irvine CA