Technology in Architectural Practice

• 1.  BIM on Complex Building Projects Survey

Posted 03-09-2015 01:02 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Center for Integrated Practice and Technology in Architectural Practice .
    -------------------------------------------
    Is BIM helping your firm to be more effective on complex building projects? The AIA is partnering with Dodge Data & Analytics (formerly McGraw Hill Construction) on research that will reveal how BIM and related processes impact the success of complex building projects. We invite you to participate in this study which will only take approximately 10-12 minutes to complete. You will receive a copy of the report for your participation, and your results will be held confidential.

To participate in the study click here - https://mhcdodgesurveys.opinioninsight.com/survey/html.pro?ID=75&an=3&source=assn

Brian Skripac Assoc. AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Director of Digital Practice
    Astorino
    Pittsburgh PA

• 2.  RE: BIM on Complex Building Projects Survey

Posted 03-10-2015 05:40 PM
    Brian

The first question kicks you out of the survey if your total revenue is less than $5,000,000. Is that correct? If so, just from looking at the revenue from the 2013 300 Top Architecture Firms by Architectural Record, it looks like this survey is only available to large firms. That discounts all the other firms and individuals working. That shouldn't be the AIA's focus, particularly with BIM.

Even if the >$5,000,000 limit proves right, will all of us get a copy of the report?

See http://archrecord.construction.com/practice/top250/2013/top300-architecture-firms-2.asp

Steve Davis AIA
    Canizaro Cawthon Davis
    Jackson MS

• 3.  RE: BIM on Complex Building Projects Survey

Posted 03-10-2015 05:46 PM

Agreed. I got kicked out as well. Seems like a very limited notion of who is using BIM in the industry. My firm has been using BIM since 2008 and we are a small practice. This really seems like a poor way to research the topic. The premise is that project complexity is based solely on dollar values? 
    Andrew Hawkins AIA, LEED BD+C
    President, Principal Architect
    Hawkins Architecture, Inc.
    College Station TX

• 4.  RE: BIM on Complex Building Projects Survey

Posted 03-17-2015 06:57 PM
    It seams to me that we should be having  two surveys. Over 5 Million and under 0 up to 5 million. I am sure I know which one wil get the most amount of input. 

Residential construction is 95% of the work across the world. One would think fine tuning the industry would be priority number one.

To me BIM is a bit of a whatever acronym yet VDC (virtual design and construction) on the other hand is what the industry needs IMO. You guys may like to check out Plusspec as it is residential design and construction with VDC and it is simplified and not bloated. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the second survey. Maybe called "Residential BIM from 0 to 5 million" ?

Andrew Dwight
    BIM manager
    RubySketch
    Sydney

• 5.  RE: BIM on Complex Building Projects Survey

Posted 03-10-2015 05:55 PM
    I attempted to do the survey, but was kicked out after the second question where I admitted to billing less than $1,000,000 annually.  At one time, 75% of the licensed architects were in firms of 5 or less employees like us.  I assume that size firm would bill at less than a million a year too.  So, is BIM only for the 25% in big firms?  Maybe BIM is only beneficial on really large projects and our size firms don't do those.  One thing I have noticed is the process is about the same on $100,000, on $1,000,000, and on $10,000,000 projects.  You deal with more stuff but you go through the same process as project size goes up.  Interesting.  I wonder if Autodesk agrees that 75% of the architects don't need BIM?  Their projects are too simple for the AIA to need their input on this survey of BIM in Architecture.  That seems to be the implication here.

Darrel Odom AIA, LEED AP
    President
    Odom Peckham Architecture, Inc.
    Little Rock AR

• 6.  RE: BIM on Complex Building Projects Survey

Posted 03-11-2015 01:37 PM
    Thank you all for your feedback. Based on this feedback, Dodge Data & Analytics (formerly MHC) has agreed to modify its screening criteria to determine applicability for the study NOT based on firm size as a proxy.

However, they inform us that other screeners may still preclude a respondent from being able to take the survey. Please click here if you are interested in taking the survey again (the original link I posted also will work: https://mhcdodgesurveys.opinioninsight.com/survey/html.pro?ID=75&an=3&source=assn)/.

Other notices from Dodge about their study:
    • It is looking for insights from BIM users that also work (and use BIM) on complex projects (e.g. healthcare, labs, data centers, etc.).
    • This study is NOT an assessment of the penetration of BIM use, an evaluation of users' sophistication of BIM, or an assessment of its relevance and growth. Therefore, a screening out is not indicative of your level of BIM use or of the valuable insights you may have on the topic, it is just outside the confines of this particular study.
    • Anyone who takes the survey (even if excluded) will get the report sent directly, but it will also go out to all AIA TAP members and be posted online for free once it's published by Dodge.
    Brian Skripac Assoc. AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Director of Digital Practice
    Astorino
    Pittsburgh PA

• 7.  RE: BIM on Complex Building Projects Survey

Posted 03-12-2015 04:01 PM
    For what it is worth, we are a small firm and were able to complete the survey.

David Schele AIA
    Felder Group Architects Inc
    Round Rock TX

• 8.  RE: BIM on Complex Building Projects Survey

Posted 03-14-2015 01:05 AM
    No problems with the survey... 

Michael J. Sloter AIA
    Principal
    mjsloter AIA LC