Technology in Architectural Practice

• 1.  Technology in Construcion Administration

Posted 02-09-2015 06:07 PM
    We are moving towards trying to update our construction administration staff with new tools to assist them with doing their jobs.

Currently we use hand written field visit forms and no digital resources on the job site.

Can anyone provide us with some suggestions for software/hardware that might assist us in this area?  Looking for CA reports, punch lists, marking up drawings in the field with notes and photos, distribution of reports, etc.

Truthfully I am not completely sure what is out there so I am not completely sure what I am asking!

Any help is appreciated.

-------------------------------------------
    James Stumbo AIA
    Stewart Cooper Newell Architects
    Gastonia NC

• 2.  RE: Technology in Construcion Administration

Posted 02-10-2015 06:20 PM
    James, a lot of folks out there are using Plan Grid or apps similar to it that work on an iPad. I have started using it and do like it a lot. Does not have a reporting mechanism but its great for marking up documents in the field and maintaining up to date docs. It also works great for Punch Lists.

file:///Users/Rocky/Desktop/PlanGrid%20-%20the%20construction%20app%20that%20works%20for%20you..webloc

R

Robert Lopez AIA
    President/Owner
    Lopez Salas Architects, Inc
    San Antonio TX

• 3.  RE: Technology in Construcion Administration

Posted 02-11-2015 07:07 PM
    we use site audit pro for our sv work.
    exports as a pdf when finished
    great app...

Stephen Angelo AIA
    Architect
    Offices of Stephen Michael Angelo, Architect AIA
    Livermore CA

• 4.  RE: Technology in Construcion Administration

Posted 02-11-2015 08:27 PM

I would strongly recommend investigating the use of the Surface Pro 3 with Bluebeam software.

I have used Bluebeam software and a tablet with a stylus for many years now and believe that the software can be used to fit many different work flows that are used to create punchlists and mark up drawings.  I have made notes directly on the PDFs and created punchlist keynotes that can be dragged onto the PDF.  There are many videos on YouTube or on the Bluebeam web site in addition to whitepapers from architects or contractors that explain the various ways these companies use the software.

Since 2004 I have had 5 tablet/stylus capable computers and the Surface Pro 3 tablet is by far my favorite.  It has eliminated any need I have for any other laptop and the pen "action" is really responsive and natural.  Some other tablets I have tried come with a stylus but the manufactures have not made the effort to make the pen usable as a drawing or note taking device.

Karl Person AIA
    Senior Architect /Associate
    Schemmer
    Omaha NE

• 5.  RE: Technology in Construcion Administration

Posted 02-12-2015 09:18 AM
    We use Newforma. It's a very robust platform. It allows you to store and retrieve emails by project, provides an easy way to download and upload files, and also has tools that are used during CA. We use it on tablets. We can annotate drawings in the field. We can create punch lists complete with references to the drawing and with photos attached.

Newforma is a very powerful tool that I highly recommend.

Daniel Perruzzi AIA
    Principal
    Margulies Perruzzi Architects
    E Weymouth MA

• 6.  RE: Technology in Construcion Administration

Posted 02-11-2015 12:09 PM
    I used PlanGrid and liked it, but it was a very limited tool, handy for punchlist and field notes markups.

Since then we have implemented NewForma v11, which I highly recommend, as it provides an organized and well-tracked method to record and respond to RFIs, PRs, including automatic transmittal creation, filing of all related email messages, project team management, and much more.  It's not cheap, but depending on the amount of CA work you do, well worth it.  NewForma interacts with MS Outlook automatically when you use it correctly with the plug-ins, and for most people, it's easy to learn.

Haden Smith AIA
    KWK Architects
    Ballwin MO

• 7.  RE: Technology in Construcion Administration

Posted 02-12-2015 06:14 PM

Sherman Aronson AIA
    BLT Architects
    Philadelphia PA