Technology in Architectural Practice

Google Glass and iPad in design and construction

• 1.  Google Glass and iPad in design and construction

Posted 07-23-2014 12:39 AM
      |   view attached
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Center for Integrated Practice and Technology in Architectural Practice .
    -------------------------------------------
    I have been experimenting with Google Glass, primarily in support of Construction Administration activities, and experimenting with applications in the studio and during design meetings. Some of the endeavors have been pairing Glass in conjunction with the iPad and on occasion incorporating Apple TV (and even the WII Remote). As an integrated group of tools, there are some impressive applications. Does anyone have experience with Glass in the field or in the studio/conference room? The possibilities are intriguing for hands free, near real time, connectivity to the team wether near or far or to a growing base of information and applications. Building on the popular mobile device supported applications for pre-design investigations to being there when the steel goes up...pairing with Glass opens some additional intriguing opportunities. I am envisioning Augmented Reality (AR) and the metadata/geodata display capabilities of Glass as a natural extension of current VDC Modeling. Glancing at a piece of equipment or even devices or spaces and seeing a heads up personal display of information or images about it, or walking into a room and the current status-report of Inspections or punchlist reports comes into your field of view. Hands free editing of the data, filtered based on who you are or what you want to know. I could see something like that being useful. Is anyone trying that sort of thing? Even without Glass, current mobile devices are supported by much of the AR and user-location-based triggering of information access or exchange. I'd be interested in hearing comments on how others are using the emerging technologies. ------------------------------------------- Brian Morse AIA TKDA Duluth MN Watch my PM interview video http://youtu.be/ePAR2u-pyBw -------------------------------------------